Basic advice - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > Chroma Camera Drone

Chroma Camera Drone Chroma Camera Drone Multirotor Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Basic advice

Bought an AR Drone a few years ago but have been flying helis. Want to get a quad and I'm looking for some advice. Thought the DJI was the way to go when someone suggested a Chroma. I have a GoPro Hero + but thought the 4K model would be the way to go. Also it appears from Horizon that model is no longer available, Why? Would anyone give me some thoughts on this. Thanks
Twoply is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chroma 4k is no longer available because the Chroma is discontinued now. Horizon is exiting the market when it comes to AP quads, they will just sell Yuneec products and parrot drones after the Chroma is gone. There was some talk about a new quad to replace the Chroma but word of that has fizzled out.

JohnCC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its unfortunate, I really like my Chroma (thou I bought it knowing it was discontinued that's why I got a great deal) My guess and this is just what I think, is that Blade didn't want to keep giving out free quads due to "fly aways" like so many of the other camera drone manufactures are doing. And from what I have read Blade gave a few replacements out as well.

But that is my guess and I think it makes sense some what.
Crazy Canadian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah it's a whole combination of things. The market has gotten VERY competitive and Blade/Horizon cannot compete. I think they took a huge bath on the Chroma, or at least did not make the profit they expected. DJI ate the Chroma for lunch almost a month after it came out but Blade did not even try to drop the price until black Friday of last year, and then after Christmas there was an even more massive drop. I'd heard drone sales overall weren't expected.

If they could produce an updated version of Chroma with all of the little things that'd make it polished, I'd love to see it for around $300-$400 but it won't happen. I don't think they can still make money while providing the high level of support that they do as well as just replacing everyone's shit for free when they fly away.

On the other side of the coin, Blade itself seems to be out of touch with the quad world, period. Inductrix/inductrix FPV is the only thing they're doing right at the moment in that department.

I don't count Vortex 250 Pro because that isn't even their product which they only introduced because their other "racer" flopped. And the Spektrum Receiver sucks. $25 and you don't get any RSSI or Telemetry. I'm actually in the process of leaving Spektrum behind/selling DX7 and switching to FrSky Taranis. It just doesn't make sense for me to keep anymore unless I can find something I will miss with Taranis. I wanted more than 7ch as well but the cost of DX9 is friggin' ridiculous.

I like Blade and I will still buy their products but I think they're going to have a very hard time going forward unless they reevaluate some things.

JohnCC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is discontinude. The yuneec typhoon H is basically the same thing as the chroma and I think you can still find those for sell but at this point I wouldn't recommend buying anything other than DJI. Their stuff is unbeatable at this point, features and quality. I own a chroma 4K but it just doesn't do half the stuff the phantom 4 can do and probably even the new Mavic DJI just released.
Toadster25 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.