Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Heads and Rotor Blades

Heads and Rotor Blades Heads and Rotor Blades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Starflex scale heads for AS350

This is the 3 bladed head that is a scale copy of the real AS350 head.
There seem to be two versions of these:
http://scaleflying.de/product_info.p...981490d1928317 for about 600 Euro
and
http://www.double-cats.com/index.php...&product_id=50 for US$320, although a week ago I'm sure the price was UD$280.
I assume cheaper one is a different head, but with the still high price I assume it is good quality.

Anyone have any more information on these - what the difference is, and why the US one jumped from $280 to $320 (or maybe I was mistaken).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StarFlex_1-800x600[1].jpg
Views:	5905
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	462390  
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The differences become visible when you compare the two heads directly. The German head has a much more refined finish and is complete with swash and follower. The second set does not have the same overall final finish as the German head but so far, it has performed as stated. If I have that kind of money when time comes to replace the Century head on my AS350, I will opt for the German head for the most scale appearance but if it is a good looker and does not have the durability, I would not mind the other head on bit. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
The differences become visible when you compare the two heads directly. The German head has a much more refined finish and is complete with swash and follower. The second set does not have the same overall final finish as the German head but so far, it has performed as stated. If I have that kind of money when time comes to replace the Century head on my AS350, I will opt for the German head for the most scale appearance but if it is a good looker and does not have the durability, I would not mind the other head on bit. Take care.

Don
The double-cats one is also shown with swash and follower (my image above is from their website).
Old 11-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have JUST fitted the one shown above onto my Trex 700E and test flown, now ready to go in my AS350 from Marvelcraft, the head flies beautifully, phasing being done through my V bar, great head for the money, smooth as silk.
Available in 10mm and 12mm shaft sizes, 12mm being on my Trex?

The Starflex head I have on my large turbine powered AS350 was purchased from Hugo Markes in Switzerland.

Henseleit TDR, Minicopter. Mikado. Jeti Carbon Red DS16. Plus scale stuff
satsuma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsuma View Post
I have JUST fitted the one shown above onto my Trex 700E and test flown, now ready to go in my AS350 from Marvelcraft, the head flies beautifully, phasing being done through my V bar, great head for the money, smooth as silk.
Available in 10mm and 12mm shaft sizes, 12mm being on my Trex?

The Starflex head I have on my large turbine powered AS350 was purchased from Hugo Markes in Switzerland.
Sats: Just to be clear - The version on your 700 is the cheaper one?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by npomeroy View Post
Sats: Just to be clear - The version on your 700 is the cheaper one?

Yes, I purchased it from Ron, Bell 222, from his Just Scale website, same person I bought the Marvelcraft AS350 from in Australia .
And as I said, it flies extremely well, good value for money.
http://www.justscale.co.nz/catalog/

http://justscale.co.nz/catalog/produ...roducts_id/425

Henseleit TDR, Minicopter. Mikado. Jeti Carbon Red DS16. Plus scale stuff
satsuma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all and fellow AS350 freaks. I also have this head for my 600. Still testing out before fitting into the fuse & liked how this flew for the first 2 flights. So I am still fine tuning and was looking over the head for loose screws/fittings, taking measurements of the links, etc.

I noticed that when I lift on the blades, the starflex hub has a lot of play in the front bearing holder of the blade grips. The front feathering shaft moves up and down quite a bit in the front bearing holder. I thought that it was somewhat snug when I installed it. So wanted to ask others if this is normal to have a lot of play like this?

I really appreciate any input. Thanks again. Terry
Tapgorup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok guys. For anyone interested, I found the reason for the slop. The front bearing holder has additional space in front of the bearing. First I replaced the front bearing with a thrust bearing from East Coast Vario.

But I found that the space in the bearing holder causes the feathering shaft to slip past the bearing, and that is what is causing the slop. I installed a canopy grommet from trex 450 in that space and it fit perfectly. Now the feathering shaft cannot slip past the bearing and there is no more slop in the head.

Flew 4 flights afterwards and it was very sold. No more slop in the head. Hope that helps anyone interested in this head. Beautiful design otherwise, very scale looking.

Terry
Old 12-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Forgot to mention. The head that I have is the Starflex head from Double cats. It is a fery nice design and I think that it has more scale detail than the German one posted above. Just my thoughts.

Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in