Very unstable 3D mode - normal or defective unit? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Very unstable 3D mode - normal or defective unit?

Hi guys,
The K110 is my first micro heli, so I need your help to clarify something regarding its gyro stability. In 6G mode it works rather nicely and hovers stationary for 2-3 seconds without any inputs. However, in 3D mode it appears to be very unstable. It almost behaves like a spinning top at rest. It tilts immediately and aggressively to one side without any input. It's almost like the gyro turns off completely when switching from 6G to 3D mode. Hence, I am wondering if the gyro might be defective.
Looking forward to your advice.
Cheers!
slinger1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excuse this question, but have you flown other heli's that do not have a stabilization mode? If not, then welcome to flying a CP heli. You are constantly making corrections. It's harder with the micro helis because they are much lighter and will move very quickly where the larger ones give you a bit more time to breathe. The good news is that if you can master this little guy, the big ones are a piece of cake.

If you have experience, then I'd check a few things.
- Is your swash level at mid stick?
- Is there play in the head?
- Do your servos all travel smoothly?
- Did your main gear slip down?

Just give it a thorough looking over and see if anything is wrong. Stabilization mode can compensate if some of these are not completely perfect.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What you seeing is more than likely normal. I've been fly CP heli's for 6 years and my first impression of the k110 in 3g mode was a gnat on steroids.

Try increasing expo on Aileron and Elevator and see if that tames it down a bit.

If you're new to the CP heli world then stick with 6g mode until you get more comfortable with it.

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying, and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun"
Hekicopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it works fine in 6g mode, it is very unlikely that 3g is broken. The other way around would be possible. You might want to level your swash, as that could make things worse in 3g mode, but as other stated, 3g mode requires CONSTANT input.

I remember my first CP flight on my Blade MCPX. I thought there was something wrong with it too.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I am an experienced 3D pilot on larger birds. Hence, I was surprised how unstable the K110 feels in 3D mode. My first thoughts in 6G mode were: Wow, feels like flying a much larger heli. In 3D mode, my first thoughts were: Wow, that feels like a cheap little toy. :-(
slinger1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's expected that it would be less stable then larger heli's, but this sounds like something is indeed wrong, especially if you know what you're doing. I can hover hands free for 5-6 seconds at least in 3D mode even with my poor beat up bird.
LiquidDrift is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will second Liquid. With your experience, you should be able to get it into a hands free hover in 3D mode no problem. It it just won't cooperate, there is definitely something wrong. Some odd stability behaviors can be the result of a bent feathering spindle, but that shouldn't be an issue until you've had quite a few crashes. If this is a new bird with this issue OOB, you might try calibration first. If that doesn't work, I would go back to the retailer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.