Winter is coming...XK K120 modified and... it flies .) - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Winter is coming...XK K120 modified and... it flies .)

Winter is coming. No light in the evening and very cold, so what better than modifying the helicopter...
I finally completed the mods I had in mind. A new canopy was also needed, still unpainted. Vacforming was taking a bit of time... never did it before. No way to fix the original one to the new battery position on top.
Well... it flies and arrow servos are very fast.
I used CFRP everywhere possible and replaced main mast with a carbon one. Still the weight is 5 grams more htan the original.
I have more ideas where to save weight but first of all I need to try it in open space to see how it flies at full power. Testing in the livingroom is not enouth, at least for my skills (no way to move to full throttle or 3G in closed spaces).
Hope you like the pics and any feedback and sugestions (including ideas for further mods and maybe a more powerful motor (or smaller pinions?) are utmost appreciated.

Max
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161122_213901.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	681934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161122_214103.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	681935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_200113.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	681936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_200146.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	681937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_200301.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	681938  

Name:	IMG_20161127_200312.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	681939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_200346.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	681940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_200428.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	681942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_200455.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	681943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_200539.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	681946  

Name:	IMG_20161127_200547.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	681949  
Max olivier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Max,
How those servos fit with the stock frame?
I'm interested in those servos, metal gears and seems to have good speed as well.
Did you try them in the stock frame first?
salrica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes I did. And they barely fit. You have to make minor mods.
1 stock servo holder in the back is OK but stays 2mm higher thus you have to add a little spacer to the screw
2 you need to trim a bit the front holder that also stays 2mm higher and than interfere with the screw of the mast retaining washer
3 you need to cut a bit front servo housing on top for same reason...a bit weired but works just be careful to take away just a small circle. Tondonthat you need to replace the arrow servonshrink sleeve with kaprTon tape. Younalso need to remove the back closure of servo since it interfere with the back servo arm and push rod to the swashplate.
4 cut the servo fixation lugs so they do not interfere with the main gear
5..... And here it gets a bit tricky... My arrow servos are reverse so I had to open them and rewire motor and position sensor. But I think that if you order the ones with the right rotation direction then you can skip this painful point... Soldering the internal small wires is a pain...
6 you need to shorten by 2mm all the push rods by screwing them to the maximum and the servo arms in neutral should be a bit "down" then swashplare is levelled with no need to rework the push rods. It is not perfect symmetric when you go from positive to negative pitch but it is not too bad

Well... A bit of work but with this servos I crashed tons of times VERY HARD and they always work....
Ah... Of course you need to replace the connectors to fit the k120board but this is easy. Yost take care of correct wiring. I made a mistake and burned the receiver....

Consider I did it because I found 6 arrow used servos for 20euro in eBay and took them thinking of a plug and play situation.. Well it was not!!!

My opinion... If you like to spend time in building stuff do it. Otherwise just order replacements. Takes a second to replace and yes... They are a bit slower and screw up just looking at them but adapting the servos require lot of work and tuning. That is also why I then decided to build a custom frame that can host them more properly. Sorry but I have no picture of how it was looking before changing the frame.

If you decide to try let me know and I can send you pics of the modified parts that I still have.

Ciao
Max olivier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there,

Are you using the Futaba Radio or the one that comes with the kit?

Did you had to reverse servos in the radio?

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to use some walkera servos I have around but I need to reverse the channel in the tx and now it won't calibrate.

Thanks
geckito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
k120 mods carbon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.