Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Heads and Rotor Blades

Heads and Rotor Blades Heads and Rotor Blades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scale Blades for 500 Huey?

I am working on a 500 Sized UH-1C Build, and have been wondering if there is a way to get the best of both worlds for a scale set of blades. I want to get that distinctive wide-cord flat tipped look of the Huey blades and scale rotation direction. A month ago, I pulled the trigger on these: https://derblattschmied.com/epages/5...T-GS-435/43%22. The blade profile was listed as S-profile, which I foolishly assumed to be short for symmetrical profile.Now that I have them, I realized that they are asymmetrical and only good for a non- scale rotation direction. Is there something out there where I can get both scale profile and direction? Maybe some way to safely cut down a 600 size blade to get the wide chord and square tip?
EnstromPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

There are very few places that make square tipped blades in any size and I know what you mean by finding out a set of blades just doesn't fit the bill you want them to. I have never been disappointed by Rotor Tech blades and you will find them available in a couple of styles for the 500 size helicopters.

If the Rotor Tech blades are still not what you are after, you might try to see if Midland Helicopter in England can order a set from NHP. NHP does make a 500mm symmetrical blade that has a flat, square end. The product line is called Razor Pro Blades.They do make a 480mm set but that seems to be for a tri-blade heli like the Goblin. Good luck.
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Keyrigger! The 500mm Blade looks like almost exactly what I am looking for, but I'm not sure I could swing that on a 500, and I'll have to check the MR/TR clearance with a longer blade. I have a 1200kv Savox motor sitting around that I could drop in to bring down the headspeed, but I'm not sure that would be enough, maybe go to a lower tooth pinion as well. Otherwise, I might try using the Heli Tec blades, and see how it works out, just not fond of the non scale rotation. I did look up RotorTech blades as well, but only found one style available, with a 45 degree tip cut. Really wish there were a few more scale manufacturers out there at the 500 size for this kind of stuff.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default UH-1 Huey 500 size

This is my setup on my Huey:

TREX500DFC
SAVOX BSM3750 1200KV AT 1650RPM
CASTLE CREATIONS EDGE 75A
NAZA H - ATTI MODE
SPINBLADES 525MM BLACKBELT MAIN BLADES 85MM TAIL BLADES
STOCK ALIGN SERVOS
CHINAHOBBYLINE LIPO 6S 3300MAH
A123 LIFE 2500MAH FOR RECEIVER

The Huey has the raised tail which extends the length of your main blades.
TACO88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info Taco88! I have that same motor in my spare parts bin, so I'll out it to use in the Huey. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on 2 sets of the NHP blades.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, just received the NHP blades, and they are not quite what I expected. The blade chord is huge, to the point of looking ridiculous, even on a Huey. So, back to square one.. I did find these though: http://www.modeltec.ch/de/product?info=1864. Perfect shaped, left hand 500 sized Huey blades. But they are metal, so AMA would be an issue.. . Seriously tempted to buy them anyway though, who knew trying to find a blade with a flat tip would be such a pain!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Due to the basic shape I'm going to try to make my own set. I've been following your thread in hopes of a good looking set coming along. I have a set of asymmetrical 600mm I'm going to model from and make them from fg. Should be a fun first spool.
Bm421 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That really does sound like the way to go at this point. I have thought about getting the same blade set, cutting off the blade grip portion, and wrapping some FG around the other end and using it as the mount to get correct rotation direction out of it. Please let me know how your custom blades turn out, I would be interested in a pair if they work out..
Old 03-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will do.
Bm421 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spinblades has very nice, high quality asymmetrical blades. I have had great results in my experience with them

They also have the narrowest chord I could find at 39mm for the 600mm sets. https://spinblades.com/Matt-Black-Scale-5-blade-600

For my 700 scale effort, like you, I wanted the square tip look and a more accurate length which is about 650mm. I asked around about cutting down some 700mm blades and had mixed opinions. After weighing the pros and cons I took the leap and cut them down.

The trick was getting them exactly the same length. I cut each blade with about 1-2mm extra from the target line then I made a rig to hold all the blades together and used a disc sander to take them down to the final length. Perfect.

Then used 3 layers of thin paper towel saturated with CA to seal the ends - light weight and sandable once dried then and a little black paint.

After many flights they are still holding up great . No signs of compromise.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

And just over a month later, I saw this. Fantastic work Trooper7! That is exactly what I would love to try. The spin blades are great, but they don't come if left hand rotation at 500 size. I wonder if this could safely be done to some 3D 600 size blades? That would probably give the wide chord, flat-tipped look that I am after..
Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

600 size blades are most likely too thick for your 500 blade grips.
getsuyoubi is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsuyoubi View Post
600 size blades are most likely too thick for your 500 blade grips.
How about 550 blades?
Old 04-23-2017, 04:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You don't want something like these ?

https://derblattschmied.com/epages/5...T-WS-470/43%22 - 470mm x 43mm

or if you can fit another 30mm, these;

https://derblattschmied.com/epages/5...HT-G-500/43%22

Unfortunately the next size up is 515mm, with 53mm chord and 12mm root, so they probably wouldn't fit in 500 size blade grips.

https://derblattschmied.com/epages/5...HT-G-515/53%22

I run Spin asymmetrical 465mm x 51mm on my recently deceased UH-1N at 1700rpm, and it flies well with plenty of lift - they do have rounded tips though. From memory there was plenty of space between main and tail blades with 465mm, so longer blades could probably be OK.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Andy, those are exactly the blade profiles that I want, but the problem is rotation direction. For a Huey, I really want to make the blades rotate the scale direction. However, since all the correct looking blades are either metal or asymmetrical, it seems I can only get one or the other.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah, I didn't bother about scale rotational direction on my little 500. The Long Ranger and EC-145 are both CCW/LH, but I just left the UH-1N as CW/RH. It was just a fun everyday flyer. I don't many people noticed that it was wrong.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally managed to get some blades that match what I was hoping for. It took a bit of modification, but they finally look the part. I got a set on the 470mm Align blades and cut the tips similarly to what Trooper7 did. Here are a few photos of the test fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	714112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1117.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	714113  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in