Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike680 View Post
It shouldn't be if they're using it correctly along with adequate pins, wire, etc.
We see the world as we are, not as it is.
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker View Post
Some aftermarket battery guys do 18 AWG. Atomic, are any of these crimpers intended for solid wire ?
Not sure but I doubt it, there might be some specific housing for 18 AWG. I did some test crimps with the HT-73 on 20AWG silicone wire with Hansen terminals and I had to stand on it and pull with both hands to break it (the wire broke off and the strands stayed with the terminal. I also found the wire much easier to get into the housing than with 20AWG crimped on the HT-95 because the insulation crimp didn't bulge as much. It slid in with a bit of coaxing instead of having to be pushed in with a tool.

The post is here if you missed it:

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=34

Quote:
Atomic has provided a long list of crimpers to look for used. If anyone is really interested in making their own, buy one of these. You have to buy pins and shells that go together! If anyone ever gets around to testing some Hansen Hobbies crimps, I am sure they will be seriously disappointed.
The Hansen wire and terminals are excellent however.

You are right about JR type housings having a slightly wider back end than Futaba or generic DuPont housings. I bet JR gear uses rows of three pin strips set slightly apart to compensate for this. So I'd avoid the JR type housings and get either Futaba type or plain DuPont housings (unless you have actual JR gear) The plain DuPont housings (Hansen sells these as "Universal" housings) will fit Futaba gear just fine, they have the same dimensions but lack the polarization tab.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
As I've posted more than once, the Hansen (deluxe) crimper is fine. Plenty of people use them and like them just fine. They were the de-facto recommended crimpers here in the past. And, again, just because something that may be better comes along, that does not negate the goodness/effectiveness of anything else that was in use before it was "discovered". I've done many crimps with my Hansen crimper and have never had one fail, nor have I been "disappointed". If peoples' crimps are too loose or whatever because they didn't adjust it, then that's on them, not the crimper.
It might crimp "good enough" but it does not crimp as well as the real official factory tool. One look at the crimped terminals side by side will tell you that. I guarantee you that if I take a 20AWG wire crimped with the Hansen crimpers and apply some elbow grease with a pair of pliers I can get it to pull out. with the HT-73 I had to stand on the wire and pull with both hands and it still didn't actually pull out, the wire broke first.
jhamel likes this.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is my very last post!

One additional question needs to be asked. Are the housings that you use fuel proof ? Probably not that important since nobody flies glow anymore. But several years ago we got fuel on a guys' custom length servo leads and they melted !
Four Stroker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is my very last post!

One additional question needs to be asked. Are the housings that you use fuel proof ? Probably not that important since nobody flies glow anymore. But several years ago we got fuel on a guys' custom length servo leads and they melted !
All I fly is nitro. Haven't had anything melt.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

All of my crimpers finally arrived from various sources.

From left to right; cheap no name, Hansen, HT-208a, HT-95, HT-73, HT-73, HT-102, HT-114

Crimps are in the same order.

Notes- 22 gauge wire was used on all the crimps except for the HT-114. The HT-114 crimps 22 gauge wire way too tight and mangles the crimp. I don't know about the HT-114, seems like it would be good on 32 gauge or something. It has no adjustments available.

All of the contacts are from Hansen Hobbies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2722MA32820745-0001.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	705086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2721MA32820745-0002.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	705087  
Old 04-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

And, that Hansen crimp looks just fine with the rear "wings" biting into the insulation which adds even more support against the wire being pulled out of the pin. Looks better than the crimp jobs in the middle from these other crimpers everyone is all gaga over.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, if you remove the stop plate on the HT-73 crimpers, it will do male contacts as well. You just set the contact depth in the crimper manually. So 20 gauge extensions are possible with the HT-73 crimpers.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
And, that Hansen crimp looks just fine with the rear "wings" biting into the insulation which adds even more support against the wire being pulled out of the pin. Looks better than the crimp jobs in the middle from these other crimpers everyone is all gaga over.
Maybe on PVC or teflon insulation that works ok but not on silicone, any sort of crimp that pierces the wire is basically the same as a nick in the insulation and will spread over time.

Anyway this is a better example of the HT-73 crimps, these are on 20AWG wire. Black is Hansen 20AWG "deluxe" servo wire and right is Turnigy 20AWG silicone wire. These are just stock crimp terminals you are actually supposed to use the 18-20AWG terminals which have larger crimp wings for this. They seem to work fine with PVC insulation but for silicone I'd definitely use the 18-20AWG terminals for the added wire support.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok I finally figured out what the JR connectors are. Spektrum, KST, and servos made by SJ Propo (Hyperion, Gaui, Graupner and others) also use these terminals and housings. I caught the scent of the trail when I examined a Spektrum servo connector and saw TYU printed on near microscopic letters on the back near the corner. A quick search for TYU and 2.54mm brought be to a website for a company called Tarng Yu Enterprise Co LTD in Taiwan that makes all sorts of connectors.

So I look through their catalog under wire to board connectors and come up empty, they have a Mini-PV knockoff but nothing like the JR connectors. Then on a lark I try the wire to wire category under 2.54mm and find this:

http://php2.twinner.com.tw/site/prod...mpany_SN=17741

Bingo.

This might not be the actual connectors that JR uses, but they are at least a copy of them and Spektrum at least seems to be using the exact connectors. Also note that they have Futaba type housings for them as well. I suspect that all of the "JR type" terminals not directly sold by JR are in fact these "TYU" connectors.

I feel like a Jedi right now.

EDIT: Here's the PDF on them. Note how the terminal is designed for a standard double D crimp die.

http://php2.twinner.com.tw/files/goo...,3,4series.pdf
Old 06-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good find!

Now see if you can figure out what Xpert uses. Completely nonstandard and shorter than the others. I can send you one if you want it.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking at the crimps above, I have doubts that you will easily slide them into the plastic connectors be it JR or any other.
The insulation seems to stick out a lot to slide in easy Is it just the picture or am I missing one step?
Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #93 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Looking at the crimps above, I have doubts that you will easily slide them into the plastic connectors be it JR or any other.
The insulation seems to stick out a lot to slide in easy Is it just the picture or am I missing one step?
Good point -especially with silicone wire - I often have to use a fine flat blade jeweller's screwdriver to tease the insulation into the housing.

Great thread Anyone care to summate best way to go for someone starting out ? Which crimper/terminal/housing for male/female 22-24 swg wire?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:45 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Goodlett View Post
Good find!

Now see if you can figure out what Xpert uses. Completely nonstandard and shorter than the others. I can send you one if you want it.
Can you take a picture and post it?
Old 06-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Regular Spektrum type plug with the multi colored wire and Xpert with the black wires.
Just noticed that the Xpert plug has "TYU 21" on the plastic housing, so it is pretty clear who makes them.
I don't think I like these as the plastic housing is nonstandard length and the conductor crimp portion of the contact is small.
Also, the Xpert factory crimps are a little on the ugly side and all the wires are the same color. It is nice that the plug is labled though.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2772.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	711487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	711488  
Old 06-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Regular Spektrum type plug with the multi colored wire and Xpert with the black wires.
Just noticed that the Xpert plug has "TYU 21" on the plastic housing, so it is pretty clear who makes them.
I don't think I like these as the plastic housing is nonstandard length and the conductor crimp portion of the contact is small.
Also, the Xpert factory crimps are a little on the ugly side and all the wires are the same color. It is nice that the plug is labled though.

I have a couple Spektrum replacement servo leads (connector on one end and tinned wires + rubber strain relief on the other) laying around and they have the same type of terminal and housing as the Xpert sevo in your picture does. If the Spektrum connector you have pictured on a servo or is it an extension? If it's an extension this could explain the difference, Spektrum is likely just buying them in bulk from different sources.

EDIT: It looks like the Mini-PV terminal on the Spektrum connector has been crimped with the proper tooling, a lot of commercially available servo leads are not.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
Good point -especially with silicone wire - I often have to use a fine flat blade jeweller's screwdriver to tease the insulation into the housing.

Great thread Anyone care to summate best way to go for someone starting out ? Which crimper/terminal/housing for male/female 22-24 swg wire?
Like John, I am also looking for a recommendation of crimpers, terminals and housings for making my own servo extensions.

I've read the thread and don't think I would end up getting the right used crimper (or one that is labeled wrong or broken), so I think I'd prefer a new one.

That said, right now I really only need 1 male-to-male housing cable about 20" or so long. I'm not sure I want to buy expensive crimpers for a just a few uses.

I know a lot of you shorten your servo cables to custom lengths but I prefer to leave the wires untouched.

If I had to buy something now, I guess I'd go with:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-...1BKY4Q7CY53YS0

and

https://www.amazon.com/Style-Servo-E...on+cable&psc=1

Thoughts?

Last edited by 3D Dave; 06-17-2017 at 11:52 PM..
3D Dave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went for many years using the Hansen hobby's deluxe crimpers (http://hansenhobbies.com/) and never had a crimp fail. I don't own any of the crimpers that you linked on Amazon so I cannot speak for those.

Hansen sells kits that have everything you would ever need. Be sure to get the Hansen strippers too. They look cheap but are top notch.

The Hansen crimpers will take some practice but acceptable crimps can be made in short order.

Also the Hansen crimpers or any others made the same way will do both male and female crimps so only the one tool is needed.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I went for many years using the Hansen hobby's deluxe crimpers (http://hansenhobbies.com/) and never had a crimp fail.
What do you use now that you decided was better than the Hansen since you speak of using it as being in the past?
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 12:13 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks.

It looks like the Deluxe RC Connector Kit Version 1 with wire stripper is the way to go.

That said, I'm also curious what you are using now instead of the Hansen sold tool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in