First day flight video and review - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First day flight video and review

XK K110 mild 3D (3 min 16 sec)

I picked my new K110 up from the Post Office after work yesterday, but due to rain I wasn't able to do more than hover it indoors. Today was sun mixed with rain, but was able to get about 10 packs in throughout the evening. Wind was pretty aggressive at first, so my initial flights were pretty bumpy, but the video I've linked to was after dinner when the wind died down.

Initial impressions upon unboxing was that I was really surprised with what you get for the money. I had to reposition a servo arm one notch, make some swash link adjustments to level it and set zero pitch at mid-stick and replace the controller tape. Other than that, basic Tx setup. DR=80%, Expo=-30%, TC=100,95,90,95,100, PC=18,30,50,70,82.

6G mode doesn't hover level and I can't seem to re-calibrate that, but I won't be flying with that feature so it's irrelevant to me.

As for flight characteristics, it is SO much better than the nCPX. Way more power, way more stability. I only have owned an nCPX and MCPX BL to compare it to, but it's somewhere between the 2 power-wise, but tracks much better than both and is more fun to fly than both of those Blade offerings as well. Despite getting tossed around in the wind earlier this evening, it was still rather capable in it for such a small heli.

I crashed once over grass, (second flight), as I was trying to set my DR and Expo settings. Was doing pirouettes to get the tail speed set and lost it in the wind. No damage, just popped the main gear off. Flew perfectly again after getting that secured back on.

I'm using the Goo 520mah packs and they are decent, but I'm flying 3:30mins with them which gets me down to storage voltage of 3.85V and they are pretty anemic at that voltage. Will probably run them out and then get the Graphene 600's next.

Overall, I'm really happy with this purchase. It's the perfect front yard flyer for me. Will be great for practicing, but definitely requires the most aggressive moves in your repertoire to be front-loaded to the first minute of flight. I was worried that this was over-hyped and I was going to be disappointed even though there were so many great reviews. It definitely lived up to the hype and glowing reviews. For this price, it's staggering. I will recommend this to anyone looking to get their first CP heli. Not sure I'd recommend it for a first heli being that it did require some tweaking and knowledge that someone new to heli's just wouldn't have. That and the 6G doesn't hands off hover despite trying the calibration process, so could be less than ideal for a person completely new to heli's, but YMMV.
XK K110

Last edited by ryguy76; 04-27-2017 at 01:45 PM..
ryguy76 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would recommend you Glacier over Graphene packs.
Steady power, more punch, cheaper.
I do have both packs, Glaciers deliver more.

I just bought 4 packs, $20, shipping included, here in the states, not sure about Canada
salrica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrica View Post
I would recommend you Glacier over Graphene packs.
Steady power, more punch, cheaper.
I do have both packs, Glaciers deliver more.

I just bought 4 packs, $20, shipping included, here in the states, not sure about Canada
I actually meant to write Glacier or Graphenes. The Glaciers were recommended by JWeber in another thread. Thanks for chiming in on that. 2 reviews of the Glaciers over the Graphenes makes the decision easier.

Do they keep a constant punch through the voltage range or are they just better off the hop?
XK K110
Old 04-27-2017, 03:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whit Graphene I feel when I have to land, with Glaciers the opposite.
Curious, I have an internal clock, landing at 3,80 or 3,70 on packs.
Usually 3:30 minutes.
Sometimes I keep going with the Glaciers until I realize that's been more than 4 minutes, 3.50 on pack.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Link to glaciers?
LiquidDrift is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-25c-600mah-1s.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2017, 03:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, that's interesting, only 25C. My impression of lower 'C' 1S batteries has been that they are more consistent throughout the charge.
LiquidDrift is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy76 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouIm1fxmofs&t=26s

I had to reposition a servo arm one notch, make some swash link adjustments to level it and set zero pitch at mid-stick .
Mind telling me what you use to measure your blade zero pitch at mid stick? I only have the pitch gauge for the big helis...thanks in advance. When you said reposition one notch, do you mean the holes in the servo arms one notch?
theone2007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pretty amazing what you get for the money, isn't it?
If you flash the ESC to use the BLHeli firmware and enable governor, it gets even better.

Oh, and +1 on the Glacier packs. You'll have to put a JST connector on the heli, and I had to clip the battery holder on the frame and use a bit of velcro to hold them in, but they are great packs. Hopefully they will be back in stock soon. I also picked up one of their JST paraboards to charge a bunch of them at once:

Micro ParaBoard - JST
Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice review. Thanks for the vid.

And if you want sustained power throughout the flight, you do this: Gov Mod Just like what Chris said. Then it will be the perfect nano.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another connector option are these: Micro Deans

In my pursuit of trying to remove unnecessary weight and due to my biggish hands, i found them better to put on and off, lighter than the jsts, and allows shortest wires possible on both esc and lipo side.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Hi

Where did you get that set at that price? I've been watching BuddyRC weekly and other sites for the past three months and they've either been out of stock or shipping makes it a no go.

Will appreciate it. Thanks
Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
Another connector option are these: Micro Deans

In my pursuit of trying to remove unnecessary weight and due to my biggish hands, i found them better to put on and off, lighter than the jsts, and allows shortest wires possible on both esc and lipo side.
Those are decent. I use XT30 on my Blade 180 and 200QX, I really like those as well. I figured they were overkill for the XK110.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2007 View Post
Mind telling me what you use to measure your blade zero pitch at mid stick? I only have the pitch gauge for the big helis...thanks in advance. When you said reposition one notch, do you mean the holes in the servo arms one notch?
Easy!

Simply fold each blade back 90 degrees and rotate the head so they are both lined up with the tail boom. Zero collective pitch occurs when the two blades are perfectly parallel when viewed from the side.

The "notch" repositioning he is referring to is the servo horn fitting onto the servo - it has splines allowing you to rotate the horn to get as close to 90 degrees as possible.
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
Hi

Where did you get that set at that price? I've been watching BuddyRC weekly and other sites for the past three months and they've either been out of stock or shipping makes it a no go.

Will appreciate it. Thanks
Yeah, they been out of stock for a while.
But that's the place, BuddyRC.

Edit:
Some people use this battery, just reverse polarity.
Good rewievs and cheap.
They claim better than Graphene

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

Last edited by salrica; 12-08-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Those are decent. I use XT30 on my Blade 180 and 200QX, I really like those as well. I figured they were overkill for the XK110.
Yup, these are smaller and a smidge ligther than the jst but rated at same rate. What i liked about them was they allow much shorter wires and easy connection/disconnection. The jsts while very good by themselves rather need a bit longer wires to do the same.

Last edited by e92.M3; 12-08-2017 at 02:35 PM..
e92.M3 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah, they been out of stock for a while.
But that's the place, BuddyRC.

Edit:
Some people use this battery, just reverse polarity.
Good rewievs and cheap.
They claim better than Graphene

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us
Thanks.

I remember sending them an email and they replied of no ETA.
Well, just Goos then. The one that was posted were just 300mAh. Personally no good for me.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.