Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > eXo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2017, 03:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 4S setup

Hello folks

I recently purchased my very first compass heli, an exo. VERY excited to get it in my hands.

I was wondering if its possible to run on 4S lipos. Its got a HW100 V3 and the rage motor.

I don't do ANY 3d at all (don't know how). I enjoy flying big air, nothing fancy. I just want more flight times per pack.
canadien007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadien007 View Post
Hello folks

I recently purchased my very first compass heli, an exo. VERY excited to get it in my hands.

I was wondering if its possible to run on 4S lipos. Its got a HW100 V3 and the rage motor.

I don't do ANY 3d at all (don't know how). I enjoy flying big air, nothing fancy. I just want more flight times per pack.
First of all congrats on the eXo. With regards to your question of using 4S lipos, sure you can but you need to setup the ESC properly. Check this post on my Compass 550U build thread on the details of how I set up its ESC so it could run anything from 3S to 6S:

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=59

The bottom line is that you set it up for 6S operation but when you use a 3S or 4S pack it still runs but at a lower headspeed. The bonus is that at these lower headspeeds you typically get longer flight times.

A few pics of my 550U using two 3S 3300mah lipos that I wired in parallel giving an effective capacity of 3S 6600mah... I get 6 minute flight times from this setup whereas I usually get 4 minutes out of the 6S 5000mah packs but at a much higher headspeed of course:

Old 05-25-2017, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another pic of my 550U this time with a 4S 6600mah hard cased lipo:

I also get 6 minute flight times using this lipo but at a higher headspeed than 3S... With this setup I can do almost all maneuvers that I do with 6S packs except full collective power loops. It is great for practicing new moves and the extra 2 minute flight time is perfect when practicing moves. I am currently looking for a non-hardcased 4S 8000mah lipo which is not designed for multi-rotors (non flat pack) to get even longer flight times but since it is not hard cased the weight should almost be the same.

The hard case is perfect for when I need to try new moves for the first time... In case of a crash that is one less expense to worry about (tacoed lipo).
Old 05-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info. I will try it out once the heli is delivered to me.

Thank you again
Old 05-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Someone mentioned to me since the HW100 is setup for 6s I am going to have to enable freewheeling in the esc to be able to to run either 3s or 4s?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Someone mentioned to me since the HW100 is setup for 6s I am going to have to enable freewheeling in the esc to be able to to run either 3s or 4s?
The HW100A has no freewheeling but you DO NOT NEED IT when using lower voltage lipos. There is no need for freewheeling when you set up something for 6S and use a lower voltage lipo (4S or 3S). It is because when using 3S or 4S your ESC will most likely be running at 100% throttle trying to up the headspeed to what was programmed for 6S. You do need to setup the governor to use governor store on your ESC. Check out my 550U build thread which outlines how to setup HW100A in governor store mode.

BTW, I also use 3S and 4S lipos on my X3 which is setup for 6S... This is with a HW50A without freewheeling.... up to 7 minute flight times on a 4S 2250mah lipo which is similar in weight and size to the 6S 1400mah lipos I use for higher headspeed flying.

You will only need freewheeling if you are running the ESC on 6S but setting up the throttle curve to, say, 50-60% for low headspeeds. On 4S lipos my ESCs (programmed for 6S) get barely warm... this is for both 550U and X3.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
Another pic of my 550U this time with a 4S 6600mah hard cased lipo:

I also get 6 minute flight times using this lipo but at a higher headspeed than 3S... With this setup I can do almost all maneuvers that I do with 6S packs except full collective power loops. It is great for practicing new moves and the extra 2 minute flight time is perfect when practicing moves. I am currently looking for a non-hardcased 4S 8000mah lipo which is not designed for multi-rotors (non flat pack) to get even longer flight times but since it is not hard cased the weight should almost be the same.

The hard case is perfect for when I need to try new moves for the first time... In case of a crash that is one less expense to worry about (tacoed lipo).
wow I didn't realize that was a 6600 mah Lipo.

You did not encounter COG issues with the hard case 6600mah?

By the way was it 6S or 4S?

How you come across this 4S 8000mah Lipo?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...___store=en_us
Old 06-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
wow I didn't realize that was a 6600 mah Lipo.

You did not encounter COG issues with the hard case 6600mah?

By the way was it 6S or 4S?

How you come across this 4S 8000mah Lipo?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...___store=en_us
The hardcase Turnigy 6600mah is 4S... Just slightly heavier than the 5000 6S 65C Pulse I am using for higher head speed flying so no, no COG issues at all. The 4S lipo allows around 6 minutes of flight time at a around 1900-2000 rpm.

The beauty of the 550U is that the tail holds real well even a lowish headspeeds so I can practice funnels in all orientations with no problem using the 6600 mah 4S lipo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in