Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MD Helis MD5 - MD6 - MD7 - MD8

MD Helis MD5 - MD6 - MD7 - MD8 MD Helis MD5 - MD6 - MD7 - MD8 Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First 600 electric?

I am returning to the RC Helicopter Hobby after a pretty long lay-off, 9 year break. Tried to get back in last year with a Futaba 14sg and a JR Forza 450. The JR had a mild contact with the ground and broke a main gear and stripped a servo. Current there are no parts for the 450 available and I feel its just to dam small.

I've been doing a lot of research for a 600 size electric. I've looked at all the major brands and was considering a Logo 550sx. But, I went to the May Day fly-in in Sulfur LA. and saw some Helicopters the with MD on the boom and mdhelicoptersusa.com on the boom. I very impressed with the beefiness of the helicopter. My thoughts are even I would have a hard time tearing this thing up.

Other than the JR 450 Forza I have zero experience with electric helicopters. So I'm going to need some help choosing the components required to complete this build.

I would like to stay with a 6s power system for the time being. My reasoning is cost and my limited "almost none" experience with electric helicopters.

The radio and FBL control have already be chosen (because I have them). The radio is the Futaba 14SG and the FBL Controller will be ICON's running on a Futaba Sbus.

So, I'm going to need a Motor, Speed Control, Servo and Battery's. Looking for recommendations for this equipment.

I'm Looking forward to calling mdhelicoptersusa.com Monday and ordering a new MD 600.

Thanks to all that reply in advance.
3drcbuilder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I don't have any direct experience with the 600 but do have a reasonable amount of experience with lots of 600's. For the gear ratio supplied and for a learning helicopter, I would go with a 1000kv motor, CC Edge 120 ESC, and Savox HV servos. Don't go much higher on the motor kv as it will give you the best range of rpms to get you from easy learning to hard 3D, if that is your desire. You don't need to spend a fortune on servos to get good performance but high torque numbers on the cyclics will work like a charm. I am using BK's on my MD-8 but I am not pushing it with high rpm 3D flying. As to batteries, I have a mixture of Pulse and Gens Ace. Both give lots of power to my fleet. My recommendation would be to set the ESC in Set Speed governed and set your rpm to 1500 at the bottom, 1700 in the middle, and top out at 1850rpm for the top speed. That will be 92.5% and at the lower rpms you should get as much as 10 minutes depending on the capacity of your battery. Go for the highest C rating you can afford as it will help with battery life in the long run. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ordered my new MD600 today. Addition items ordered:

a. MD5P-K10Y Skids Yellow (to help old eye)

b. MD6P-S08 Quick Release Battery Tray (Just because I wanted it)

c. RB-96 96mm Rail Tail Blades (Everyone needs a little tail)

d. Black Label 4500 mAH-45c-C-6s battery (my first battery over a 3s)

I sent some Futaba 9252 servo (3) in for repair. Was contacted by Futaba today and was advise the 9252 were shot and beyond repair. they were about 10 years old. Futaba offered me three BLS171SV servos for 50% off retail. I took the deal, warranty and all.

Check list

Helicopter: MD600. Ordered.
Motor: Undecided.
ESC/BEC: Undecided.
Cyc Servos: Futaba BLS171SV X 3. Ordered.
Tail Servo: JR DS8900G. On Hand.
FBL Control: Icon. On Hand.
Tail Blades: Rail 96mm. Ordered.
Main Blades: Edge 600, Have 2 sets. On Hand.
Battery: Black Label 4500mAh-45c-6s. Ordered.
Receiver: Futaba R7008sb. On Hand.
Radio: Futaba 14G. On Hand.

OK, What I'm I Missing? Other than what I have noted.

p.s. thanks for posting Don

Last edited by 3drcbuilder; 05-15-2017 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: note
Old 05-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like a nice setup, you are planing on a 6S setup ?

Are you flying easy flights or flights that load the electronics more ? 6S on a 600 can be a bit hard on the batteries depending on the flight style.

In regard to motor/esc I had taken a look at the new escs from Scorpion or HobbyWing and a motor around 4025-4030 size.
rfauske is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply rfauske

For the motor I thinking the KDS Direct 600XF/1100

Speed Control, Considering the Castle Phoenix Edge 130 amp

Being this is my first Electric to build where I have to choose all the components.

The JR Forza 450 came with all it's components. My only other electric helicopter.

I think I am going into information overload trying to absorb all the info I need to build a solid dependable electric helicopter. Nitro was easy!

Yes I will be flying on 6s.

All my helicopter experience is with nitros. Hawks, Raptors, Ergo's and Miniature Aircraft 99specSE and Furys.

When I left the hobby 10 years ago I was just starting into backwards flight. So, with this long of a lay off I'm pretty much starting all over from the beginning.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just nailed down a KDE Direct 600XF/1100 with only ten flights on it.

This the first other than new part I purchased for this helicopter. The reason for my choice is there is always the possibility of kicking this helicopter up to 12s down the road and I won't feel so bad about pulling the motor out a replacing it with another if I got a good deal on it.

One piece of the puzzle left. ESC/BEC Thinking about a Castle Phoenix Edge 120. Anybody got any opinions on this speed control?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I do have an Edge 120HV on my scale chassis and it is an easy unit to setup with the Castle Link unit (not included with the ESC but you do get a voucher for one included that you can use on the road). On that same helicopter, I am using their BEC Pro for power. Your motor should give you a good range from 1650rpm at 75% governed to just over 2000rpm at 92.5% governed. Hope it works well for you.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

In regard to ESC, depending on what you need to pay for the Castle I would have gotten a Scorpion because its newer and has some nice features. It does also have a integrated BEC that is large enough for the electronics.

On the Castle you need a separate BEC or RX pack.
rfauske is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Received my new MD 600 last night, to late to do anything with it other than inventory everything and make sure nothing is missing.

The only thing that I seemed to be missing was the boom support. So I sent Matt a text and within a few minutes my phone rang. Mind you that it's past 11:00 pm.

With in a few minutes he walked me through the packages and I.D.ed the boom supports. They were not what I was expecting. They look more like landing struts.

Anyway. What Helicopter company out there is going to respond to a issue at 11:00 o'clock at night.

So, this evening I got the head built and started on the frames. After a little tweaking the main shaft falls threw the bearing blocks with absolutely zero drag. Got that far and decided to call it a night.

I did have what I considered another piece of good fortune last night. I picked up rspiegel MD 700 mechanics for $225.00 shipped. So I guess I have my Next Helicopter on the way.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup that sounds like Matt, next time text him at 5:00 AM just for fun LOL.
ChuckL is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I Phone him at 5:00 am the phone is going to be on auto dial cause I'm not going to be awake.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Received my new MD-600 last week and completed the mechanical build this weekend. Pretty much everything is done with the exception of installing the head which there is no use in doing till I get into the electronics set up.

Last edited by 3drcbuilder; 06-19-2017 at 06:44 PM..
Old 06-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty much finished up the MD 600 this week end. Completed the Castle and the Icon set-up as per the videos. Helicopter is set-up to use the Icon governor and with the motor pulled away from the main gear everything spins up to the RPM I have it set-up for.

All that's left is move the motor back to engage the main gear. Charge the battery and give it a try. My last issue, the battery connects to the esc with a EC5 connector. But my charger doesn't have an EC5. It has a EC3. Got one ordered. I'm sure I could rig a jumper but I'm not in that big of a hurry.

Note: The board the helicopter is sitting on is one of my set-up tools. My shop is not level nor is the table. I place the heli on the board and level it by adjusting the bolts with a digital level against the main shaft.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The MD 600 is ready to go, everything has be triple check. I did find one error. I had a JR 8900 tale servo and realized it was not rated for 6 volt system. So, it was replace with a Align 655.

So, Anyway, the 600 is ready to fly.

I do have a question I'm looking for some help with. I picked up an MD 700 which I also have mostly built. Waiting on a speed control which I have on the way from Matt. The speed control I have coming does not have a BEC. So I have two ways to go. First I do have a Castle Creations BEC and I also have 2s battery packs. The 2s pack requires the least amount of wiring and everything I have can live with 7.4 volt. Or I can run the BEC on 6 volts.

Which is the best way to go?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its really up to your personal preference... but I am going to run all my birds straight off a 2s rx pack if I can... I don't mind checking batt voltages before each flight and topping off a rx pack when needed...
Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If using a 2s pack to power electronics should you come of the main leads or the small plug or does it matter.

Also is there a power switch I could put in line to turn the system of and on?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my 2s battery I put a deans connector female on it... then I made some small jumpers using a male deans and two 6" servo leads with the signal wire removed... then I soldered the two red wires to the bottom flat connector, and the two black wires to the vertical connector on the deans.

Then, I install the two servo leads directly into the vbar... and when I connect it to the battery it powers up the vbar only, kind of like having a switch... once it initializes, I can then plug in the main battery pack to the esc making it ready to fly.

On my last heli I needed to use a bec since I'm using lv servos in my MD6, so I just put a deans on the castle bec pro, routed it to the vbar, programmed it for 6 volts, and perform the same startup procedure as above... all my other helis running hv setups I plan to plug the battery directly to the vbar unregulated.

Let me know if you need further clarification or pictures... ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in