Motor belt blew on maiden - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > Protos 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Motor belt blew on maiden

Hi guys.
I set up my p380 with 890kv motor and 20t for smooth flying. The manual says to use the ider pulley for the 20t and the 20t has no flange. This makes the belt pretty tight, or else the idler pulley will rub against the main gear.
I thought this was okay, since the belt is so beefy and the manual says so.
I lasted 4 min before it snapped resulting in a crash.

Should I not use the idler pulley for this pinion, is that okay without the flange?
dboi28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The idler is required for pinions without the flange. Otherwise the belt climbs and will break.
OnTheSnap is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2017, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So this pinion is not really an option then, since it doesn`t have the flange, and gets to tight with the idler pulley.

I`ll maybe try the 21t pulley without the idler pulley, but that gives me a lower throttle percentage.

of course broke both blades and one frame side. So need to order parts.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also have that 20T pinion and you need to change some parts to use it and i don't think they are available.
- VBar Control...let the flying be second nature!
acidla is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2017, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your esc has AFW you can run a low throttle curve without worrying about heat. Even modern esc's without it are more tolerant of a lower curve than old ones are.

Prefer the flanged pinion cause less parts is always better IMO. 22t and a 60a YGE have been working great for me
Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
If your esc has AFW you can run a low throttle curve without worrying about heat. Even modern esc's without it are more tolerant of a lower curve than old ones are.

Prefer the flanged pinion cause less parts is always better IMO. 22t and a 60a YGE have been working great for me

Hi, is that with the 890kV motor? Does the YGE have AFW, and do you use the FBL Gov? Just curious, leaning back towards this heli as my first kit build and not sure on electronics or gearing yet....I've read all the threads a while back, will have to go back over them I think!
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The yge 60 has afw. This is what I have. I`ll try without the idler pulley when I get new parts. Have both 21 and 22t. Sure you can turn down the hs with afw, but if your gearing is way off, it will cause high amp peaks and get sluggish on pitch. Maybe it works good in this case, just have to try and see. Many people don`t test out wich pinion gives the best performance, they just turn down the throttle and are happy with it. If the gearing is too high and throttle value very low, it uses some time and draw high peaks to react to the load changes on the disk. If this wasn`t the case, we would all just put in high kv motors and turn down the hs in the governor. The sweet spot varies between different motors and gearing. I always buy several pinions and test out what seems to work best and give a fast response on pitch and enough headroom so it won`t back down on hard flying.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboi28 View Post
The yge 60 has afw. This is what I have. I`ll try without the idler pulley when I get new parts. Have both 21 and 22t. Sure you can turn down the hs with afw, but if your gearing is way off, it will cause high amp peaks and get sluggish on pitch. Maybe it works good in this case, just have to try and see. Many people don`t test out wich pinion gives the best performance, they just turn down the throttle and are happy with it. If the gearing is too high and throttle value very low, it uses some time and draw high peaks to react to the load changes on the disk. If this wasn`t the case, we would all just put in high kv motors and turn down the hs in the governor. The sweet spot varies between different motors and gearing. I always buy several pinions and test out what seems to work best and give a fast response on pitch and enough headroom so it won`t back down on hard flying.
Totally agree with what you said. Always best to gear as low a pinion as possible with enough head room for the gov.

There is a way to run the 20T pinion but you need a different belt. Some guys found them on eBay. It had a couple less or more teeth than the MSH one.
Michaelinpr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im running the 20 tooth pinion with idler but went with a longer belt to make it work. 288mm heres the part number

GT2 288-2GT-9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.