Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Velos Rotors > VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter

VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter VelosUAV Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Velos Rotors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Have any ideas in utility?

So now that we have our own forum, lets here your ideas concerning utility of the Velos airframe.
This forum could be an amazing place to discuss possibilities with utilizing the Velos airframe in performing useful tasks in the work place.

Even if it sounds crazy...lets hear it. It's those crazy ideas that are the most meaningful. It is how mankind has gotten to where we are today...someone had a crazy dream and had enough imagination to make it reality.

We know what our airframe limitations are, I'm keeping all my ideas to less than 25 pounds useful load and because we are flying a large single rotor with lots of leverage, off set of the load to the CG of the airframe can be done as well.

The safety in the Velos airframe is what drives my imagination in creating utility for it. Never before have we had a safer airframe with the lifting abilities that the Velos has for its size.

This is just the beginning...
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is going to be a great thread Allan Thank you for creating that. I think right now the only think that can hold us back regarding the UAV helicopter uses is our imagination.
We will be posting here different missions with different payloads and who knows, one idea brings the other.
Just to begin with we are preparing a first aid payload module with the ability to also release it from higher altitude by using a parachute in case that a landing is not possible.
We will prepare a nice video demonstration with that and post it soon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UAV_119.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	716974  
A VIKING likes this.
Velos Rotors is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Congratulations to Velos on a successful demonstration and deployment of an emergency medical box under canopy.

VelosUAV payload delivery system (1 min 39 sec)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ideas?

So we have started creating working tasks for the Velos UAV.
Still looking to you for ideas in creating useful work for the Velos. We have a good start, but I know many ideas have yet to be discovered.

Locally, I heard the police were using drones to track down Alzheimer's patients or older folks who my wonder away from their homes. They wear a transmitter that's detected by the drone and the drone fly's to their location. Very worthwhile use of the technology.

I have my rope deployment and house/store front washing ideas in the works and when I have what I believe to be completed systems ready for prime time I will post those videos here.
Over time and with a little work and experimentation we should have an impressive list of working uses for the big Velos.

Be thinking...be innovating.

Last edited by A VIKING; 10-17-2017 at 03:46 PM..
A VIKING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a bag of pop corn...this is a long one.

So...I have been grounded a very long time due to auto pilot issues. Hopefully one day "if the wind don't blow and the chain don't break" I'll be back in the air, spray cleaning, and making video once again.

While I have been grounded I have noticed that my spray platform ideas are taking flight with others which is great!
I have seen You Tube videos of "washing drones" and "roof washing drones" created by others.

What bothers me is how some are attempting it...

There is a video of a large multi rotor drone with a "pressure washer" wand attached to the bottom.
Like me they leave the pump and supply tank on the ground but they are trying to use "high pressure" to do the cleaning.

Apparently they didn't read any of my articles about the setup and experiments about washing with a helicopter or drone when I started this.

Everyone who has ever pressure washed anything knows how hard it is to control the wand and to be accurate in doing the work. Can you imagine trying to control even a moderately high pressure wand while hovering? I don't know anyone who makes a FBL that could fly it and it be useful. They did it in the video but I don't know how successful it was.

When pressure washing you have to keep the tip of the wand close to the work to have effective pressure to do the job. If you drop back even a foot from this "effective working distance" you have nothing but blowing mist hitting the surface with no "power cleaning" ability at all.

So now that you are spraying a fine mist, where is it going? Yup...it's swirling around and back on your drone or helicopter.
I saw in the video that the operators of the pressure washing drone wrapped the drone in a couple yards of plastic film in an effort to keep it dry and operational. Wonder how much mist was sucked back into the drone motors...and how long they would last in such an environment?

If all these problems weren't enough they were using the high pressure hose that came with the pressure washer...how heavy and stiff can that be and how long can it be before the drone can't lift it anymore?
Good for low buildings I guess.

I applaud anyone who try's this kind of operation with a drone or helicopter and I appreciate the effort but lets think things through a little.

I mentioned in my articles that low pressure was key in making this work.
Let the cleaning chemical do the work, not high pressure. Pressure washers should only be used on side walks and concrete walls. Not only is low pressure easy on whatever it is your trying to clean but you don't get the giant cloud of fine mist engulfing your helicopter of drone ending its life in an ugly way.

I have done many spray operations with low pressure and I have never gotten one drop of cleaning fluid on my Velos. I never felt the need to wrap it in plastic to protect it while flying.

To do it right: Spray cleaning chemical under low pressure, spray course droplets and pay attention to the wind (never spray into the wind, always spray down wind) and you will be successful every time and your flying machine will always be dry and operational.

The roof cleaning drone was much better. It looked like it used low pressure and they had taken the idea one positive step further. Instead of a single point spray tip like I use on my Velos they created a horizontal spray beam off the nose of the drone which was wide and had many spray tips attached to it allowing for wide coverage with one pass. I liked that, it was very useful. They also went with leaving the supply tank and pump on the ground, hey, I know it works!

Looking forward to seeing many truly successful flying platforms used for spray cleaning out there!
Lets make the world a prettier place and have fun doing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in