Boom installation - what's the trick? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters > eXo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Boom installation - what's the trick?

I had to disassemble and re-assemble my eXo to replace a frame brace where the landing gear attaches, because I overtightened one of the bolts. This eventually brought me back to the one part of the build process that I hated first time around: boom installation.

In the excellent build thread (https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=114) as well as in the manual, it says to simply "slide the boom into the bracers" - rather easier said than done, in my experience. I have fiddled with this for over an hour and only managed to get the boom into the rear bracer. I simply cannot get the front bracer to hold square while sliding the boom. The bottom half of the bracer always gets edged forward as the boom seats into the upper half, leaving the bottom bracer askew and me unable to budge the boom further in.

I had the same problem initially with the rear bracer, but solved it by loosening the screws almost completely to allow greater separation of the bracer halves. However, the distance between the halves of the front bracer is constrained by the upper and lower inner frames which cannot get further apart due to the pulleys being already installed.

I managed to do this once before, but for the life of me, I can't remember how I did it - only that it was driving me crazy! What am I overlooking? Someone know a trick to keep me from screaming? :-)
RCHN Ctzn #191, eXo 500 build in progress , T-Rex 450L Dominator, Warp 360, Blade 130X, Blade Nano CPX + various toy models
tsoebirk is offline        Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Remove the gyro tray, then remove the lower boom clamps. Slide the boom in, loosely install the screws with thread locker, then adjust belt tension. Tighten the screws evenly in a crossing pattern.

You may have to twist the lower boom clamp to remove the clamps. If this happens, simply twist them again to get them in.

Scott

PS this is due to tight tolerances and because the boom was thickened and the material of one clamp changed after testing. It's good that it's tight.
http://www.experiencerc.com : Making Helicopters Great Again!

dunkonu23 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Scott! I ended up leaving the rear brace on, but very loose, since the boom did slide in there. I unscrewed the lower front brace completely and put it loosely under the boom when the boom was halfway in. Then I slid the boom forward into the upper front brace and finally slid the lower front brace into position and installed its screws. Easy-peasy

I do appreciate the tight tolerances.

Out of curiosity: which brace was changed after testing, and what was the original material?
tsoebirk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoebirk View Post
Thanks Scott! I ended up leaving the rear brace on, but very loose, since the boom did slide in there. I unscrewed the lower front brace completely and put it loosely under the boom when the boom was halfway in. Then I slid the boom forward into the upper front brace and finally slid the lower front brace into position and installed its screws. Easy-peasy

I do appreciate the tight tolerances.

Out of curiosity: which brace was changed after testing, and what was the original material?
I don't have the original manual here at work with me, but I think it was the front mount. It was black plastic.

Scott

Old 07-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol, I had the exact same problem when I received mine, an hour fiddling and ended disassembling the gyro tray. I guess its not the way it was designed so thought that mine was defective or something..
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had Compass add that installing the gyro tray after installing the boom was logical as it gave people better access. That was included in the manual and mentioned in the build thread. If you missed it, it's not an issue with the model it's an issue with reading.

Scott

Old 07-27-2017, 02:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did mount the gyro tray as the last item installed as i saw that would cause problems with bought boom mounting and cables befor i desided wich way i was going to install the FBL unit.
Exo 500

Last edited by Mr.Andersen; 07-27-2017 at 04:34 AM..
Mr.Andersen is online now        Reply With Quote