Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2017, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Heli just died 20ft up

Hello all.

I was flying my fairly new trex 450 sport v2 I built from the Super Combo kit so all electrics included in the kit, when it suddenly lost all power and control. Luckily it wasn't high, just blades, flybar and maybe main shaft to replace.... haven't fully inspected yet so maybe also feathering shaft. Anyway, the question is what has failed, the ESC or the RX? When I plug the battery back in now, I get the 3 blips from the ESC but nothing more, the gyro doesn't initialise. I have tried re binding the RX but the RX doesn't even light up although my strobes plugged in to the RX do work. I think it's the RX but then why would the strobes work which are run from the RX?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers, OD.

If you make a mistake and learn from it, that's progress

2 x Nano heli's - now passed on to Megan, HoneyBee V1.....Awaiting test flight, T-Rex 250 V1, Hitec 5084MG tail servo, DX6i, Walkera 4#3A (it's in fairly good hands Bugster).
oliverdots is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdots View Post
Hello all.

I was flying my fairly new trex 450 sport v2 I built from the Super Combo kit so all electrics included in the kit, when it suddenly lost all power and control. Luckily it wasn't high, just blades, flybar and maybe main shaft to replace.... haven't fully inspected yet so maybe also feathering shaft. Anyway, the question is what has failed, the ESC or the RX? When I plug the battery back in now, I get the 3 blips from the ESC but nothing more, the gyro doesn't initialise. I have tried re binding the RX but the RX doesn't even light up although my strobes plugged in to the RX do work. I think it's the RX but then why would the strobes work which are run from the RX?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.
It sounds as though either the BEC in the ESC has failed or there's a connection issue. I'd check the wiring through carefully, checking for damaged cables or bad connections and measure the BEC output/voltage on the FBL unit and Rx.

So many things to fly, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hi Mark.

Thank you for your reply. All the connections seem good. New speed controller needed.

Cheers buddy!

Cheers, OD.

If you make a mistake and learn from it, that's progress

2 x Nano heli's - now passed on to Megan, HoneyBee V1.....Awaiting test flight, T-Rex 250 V1, Hitec 5084MG tail servo, DX6i, Walkera 4#3A (it's in fairly good hands Bugster).
oliverdots is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never trust the built in BEC in escs i always run external BECs with them I think the BEC might have failed.. if you have another laying around i would hook it up and test to see if it works.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which ESC is it?
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sport v2 is a old model. Sure it came with one of the old Align esc's that has a 2-3a bec.

Mine would brownout on startup half the time. Slapped a 40a YEP on and never had another problem.

Sounds like you may have got a bad one since mine worked fine running a flybar and tail gyro. Once I went fbl with a AR7200BX is when the probs started.

I don't bother with external bec's on anything smaller than a 500. Limited ​space and any halfway decent, halfway modern esc will have an internal bec that's​ well up to the task.

Even a 3a continuous Bec will work fine on a 450 as long as it's a switching bec.

Can get a 40a YEP and programming card for $27 total. 5a bec I guarantee you won't have any issues with even on a 380 with powerhungry servos.

Fixed at 5.5v but if you're flying a old flybar I'm sure you couldn't had less about running HV lol.

I use expo at 5.5v so going HV to cancel it out with even more expo seemed kinda silly. Don't feel like they lack in the torque dept at 5.5v either
Old 08-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

How old is the battery?
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in