tail thrust bearings tand tail wag - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > Protos 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default tail thrust bearings tand tail wag

I'm having trouble with tail wag on protos 380

Everything smooth on the tail, very smooth but can't get rid of the the small fast wag

Issue is ( i think) the thrust bearings

I am putting the bigger internal hole section in first and it is so tight in the grip that i have to force it and with a large ish hex key. Problem is that is is so tight that i am getting shards of plastic from the inside of the grip stuck in there with it! hence the wag i would suspect.

I measured the inside diameter of the thrust washer and bigger hole is labelled "o" which to me is the outside one but it does state in the manual bigger hole first .
tried 2 sets of tail grips and other thrust washers and they are all as tigh and getting shards of plastic!

I is usually inner and o is usually outer?
Anyone else had this or am i just not getting something
justjustin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

and i have tried the thrust washers the other way round and i got the slow wide wag which would say that way is wrong
Old 08-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

With the large ID thrust bearing Rae to the outside you will have induced a mechanical wag that no amount of tuning will get rid of.

What is your gyro gain setting?
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjustin View Post
I measured the inside diameter of the thrust washer and bigger hole is labelled "o" which to me is the outside one but it does state in the manual bigger hole first .
tried 2 sets of tail grips and other thrust washers and they are all as tigh and getting shards of plastic!
That doesn't sound right. The one labeled "o" should be the one with the smaller hole and go on the outside. Is the other one labeled "i"? Maybe something is mixed up?
Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure how to post the image capture. page 50 of manual shows picture of blade grip and above picture of thrust bearing assembly as large internal hole first then roller bearing then the smaller diameter washer.thats how i have it via measuring i d's
even though first one is o and outer is I which i agree sounds opposite.

I think the problem is the bits getting in the race from the blade grip so i assembled all the bearings and washers on a screwdriver and installed them as one so as to eliminate hopefully the bits of plastic getting in between. I can all ways swap them again

rain here today so hope to test tomorrow. I did try the other way with I in first and o for outer but got a slow wide wag. Tail gain from 30 up to 45 (too high) in the Brain and no change. Will post when i have tested. Perhaps i'm just chasing my tail ! Looking forward to getting this sorted so I can fly It and see what it's like.
Thanks for replies
Old 08-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The picture shows the orientation in order from large to small with the tail grip in the same orientation onto the tail rotor hub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	30
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	718570  
Old 08-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you tried two sets like that with the same result I would forget the ID measurements and put the o and I in the proper order and try it that way again. Then try to dial out the slow wag by adding a little gain.

I didn't measure anything, just went off the o and I and everything worked great.

Hope you get it squared away. You're going to love this heli once you do
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just put each one on the shaft individually without grip and rock them. The small one won't rock as much noticeably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tshelby73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a wag I can't dial out as well. I noticed recently that my tail blade grips have a little play along the shaft. With the bolts fully seated, I can push/pull the grips along the shaft about a millimeter. If I remember correctly, the whole assembly comes prebuilt from the factory.

I've pulled the grips off but did not pull any bearing out since they were extremely hard to push out. I didn't try with more force than I felt was necessary. When reassembled, it did look like there was a little bit of the shaft sticking out from the bearing. Looked like a washer was missing.

Pulled out all the remaining bags from the build and did not find any washers that would fit. Ordered a tail grip kit and will try using a washer from it to take up the space.

It is the same on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vhuang168 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

perhaps i should try the o and i as per normal and dial out the slow wag. tried another set of the thrust bearings tonight (the msh part that is just the thrust bearings) and they had no markings still the same though( installed via measuring) all shafts polished including pitch slider bush and still no good
The only resistance is probably from the pins in the blade grip arms.

So turned off the brain gov and as im using the hobbywing v4 -i enabled gov on that.
Now im getting loose tail (hovering) and quick tight wags on stops!. Increased p gain with stock brain settings still the same lowered and raised i and similar stuff. I have all ready lowered d because of the stop behaviour.
I'm a bit out of my depth with p.i.d gains
anyway I've got another mini brain I'm gonna swap over tomorrow and see how that goes.

I've still got high hopes for this little Heli when i get this sorted out !
Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i think there is a little play on the blade grips and the shaft does stick out a bit when you look in the grip.

Probably not a good idea to listen to what i say about tail grip assembly at the moment though

I'll be an expert soon though!
Old 08-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well It's not mechanical.
Reset the esc end points with the sticks tried it out in heli linear mode spooling up gently to avoid the kick and pretty good tail, just a bit of tuning needed!

Re enabled gov in the brain and all good there, no weird wags but still a little bit of tuning.to do

I did the end point calibration when i set up the heli but perhaps i altered something after doing so,who knows?

Thank F&@% for that. I was really questioning my self!

Fingers crossed that's it!

Tags
protos 380, tail wag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.