Throttle/Gov Issues - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > 3Digi FBL System

3Digi FBL System 3Digi Supoort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Throttle/Gov Issues

Set up is as follows. G380, HW60amp Plat. ESC, Ar7700Rx and of course 3DIGI.

My problem is the Heli will not spool upon coming off 0% throttle. It will not engage motor until ~50% throttle. At that point, I can keep going to 100% throttle/motor speed. I have set the end points to -100/100 in the terminal configuration using endpoint adjustment on the radio. I swear it was the ESC not knowing the proper endpoints. I did that dozen of times with no effect. I have hooked the esc/motor to my tried and true 700 FBL and without changing a thing the motor spooled as it should.

Live data shows that at -14 endpoint (45-50% throttle) is when spooling starts. This wouldn't bother me as I never stay in "normal" mode anyway. I always immediately idle up to governed head speeds that I have set.

My other dilemma is the gov will not engage. I did have to change the sensor pull up mode to read correctly. Seems to be accurate all the way through. I have activated the gov in the parameters menu and also set a throttle input activation point in the config menu.

I am new to 3digi, I am hoping it is just something that I am missing in the setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2017, 03:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Joe,
please make a short test.
Use a linear throttle curve on your transmitter and deactivate 3Digi gov.
At which throttle position does the motor start?

Maybe the endpoints of your ESC are not set correctly?!

You can also check the flightdata. Especially have a look at the governor throttle output, the rotor RPM and the eventlog messages,

Dirk
www.3digi.de
DirkS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think I figured it out. It is as simple as programming the ESC. I will have the ability to program the ESC tomorrow. Looking at the default settings of the ESC, HW ESC's do not initiate spool up until 40% when in gov mode. That makes sense now. I am going to start over once I have the ability to program the ESC.

I am new to electric. I have always used nitro for everything.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I figured out why it wouldn't start until 40%. That is how the gov works within the esc. I have changed the setting of the esc to linear throttle. It now spools as it should. I set the gov up within the terminal. But I can't get the gov to activate. The rpm reads but the gov is not active. I have set a straight curve of 80% throttle in the transmitter and used the "use current" button in the terminal as the activation point.

I can't make any sense of what the "throttle output position does and what it should be set at. I have been setting it the same as the activation.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
the field Throttle output low position indicates the minimum gas value that the governor can output during operation. This is also the throttle position at which the governor soft start begins, when starting from standstill.

If you are using an electro heli, the position should be slightly below the position where the motor starts

Please have a look at the help texts at the right side of the Terminal. There are many explanations and tips.
The above text is actually copied from there.

Dirk
www.3digi.de
Old 08-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The boxes turn yellow when I enter a value that is lower then the activation value. I have tried it anyway and I still am not able to activate the gov.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It turns yellow because in electric helicopters the activation position should be set just below the output low position.
Thatīs again taken from the manual.

Maybe attach a flightlog of one of your start attemps here so that we can have a look at it.

Dirk
www.3digi.de
Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have since figured out what I was doing wrong. One of those times where you over analyze and miss the simple point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.