Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HW 130 - no beeps

My HW 130 is no longer beeping after being plugged in. It's also only outputting about 5V from its internal BEC despite it being set to output 6V. There is no motor output either. When I try to connect the programmer, it is stuck at "Connecting ESC".

The status LED is solid red. I run a fan plugged into the program port and that still works fine when the ESC is plugged in.

I bought this used but gave about 20 flights with it. I flew it once yesterday then switched batteries and I then didn't hear any beeps after connecting the battery. I unplugged the pack and plugged it back in and heard a pop and spark at the battery connector as if the anti spark wasn't working. The polarity was correct so I figured something with the anti spark couldn't handle a reconnect without waiting.

The only other thing I can think of is the optipower backup could've somehow backfed power.

Any one experienced this issue before?
mrbubbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That could be it. I thought i remember hearing people say that you should use the bug with the hw internal bec because of the backflow. Its necessary to run the gaurd they offsr to prevent this from happening.
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Agreed. I have an RMA and will hopefully know what needs to be fixed. I may go back to another ESC and use an RX pack instead. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HW 130 - no beeps

Same problem here, then your esc is dead? I made also 6 flights on mine and red led with in flight shut down.
Escornaboi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just sent it back last week. Waiting for an RMA update now.

However, I took it with me to IRCHA to see if someone at the HobbyWing tent could look at it. One of the reps took it apart and didn't see anything physically wrong. He suspected a BEC issue but couldn't do more on site and said to RMA it. I was happy that I could have someone quickly look at the ESC in person even if they couldn't fix it. They also mentioned the optipower backup would not be an issue.

I'll update when I hear anything new.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update from HobbyWing:

Quote:
Our RMA department has inspected the ESC on multiple levels. The BEC has suffered overload damage. One of the FETs is similarly damaged.

This happens for various reasons. At this time is unclear what the exact cause of these damages was, but it is often related to the power source: Battery and the motor selection (over surged current, irregular current C, reverse current, exceeding max power W), which causes overheating and/or overloading of the ESC. BECs can also be damaged from servo feedback shock.
I am ruling out overload as I had just flown it and it failed while I was putting a new battery in to fly a second flight. Not sure about "servo feedback shock".

Sadly, I may go back to a castle with a receiver pack.

The bright side was HW support was quick and friendly. I have smaller HW V3 controllers on other aircraft with many flights and no problems, but given the V4 bugs, I may try something different, maybe a scorpion.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbs View Post
...... given the V4 bugs.......
Which bugs ?
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Having to turn LVC and AFW off. Still have hard tail kicks that others are still complaining about in another thread. Unreliable log values read via programmer post-flight. You can read more about these workarounds and issues in other threads.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

did anyone ever hear back from hobbywing on this? I have a month old 130A V4 that started doing this exact same thing today on my 3rd pack. I'm using a 1st buffer pack, so I know that would be back feeding the BEC. That's the only thing I can think might cause an issue. But these ESCs come with a small capacitor. I don't think that's any different really.
gfitz396 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in