Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X3

X3 Discussion and support for the Gaui X3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Oiling an Greasing

I was at Warshaw a few days ago and visited a model shop to buy one way bearing grease and a general lubricant for shafts etc.

The guy at the shop said, he dont grease bearings at all as they are already greased, and for shafts etc he cleans the shaft with a solvent, greases it, moves the part so grease is fit into place and clean additional grease with paper towel or similar.

After that no oiling at all and he said he flies the heli for whole season like that without greasing again. He said he had no troubles at all.

He wasnt specifically talking about X3 but a nitro and 450 sized clone.

So what do yo think? Is it a good approach while building X3 for the first time?

I needed to postpone building my X3 due to a long trip and now I'm back and how to grease/oil it is the most puzzling part for me
raft is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raft View Post
I was at Warshaw a few days ago and visited a model shop to buy one way bearing grease and a general lubricant for shafts etc.

The guy at the shop said, he dont grease bearings at all as they are already greased, and for shafts etc he cleans the shaft with a solvent, greases it, moves the part so grease is fit into place and clean additional grease with paper towel or similar.

After that no oiling at all and he said he flies the heli for whole season like that without greasing again. He said he had no troubles at all.

He wasnt specifically talking about X3 but a nitro and 450 sized clone.

So what do yo think? Is it a good approach while building X3 for the first time?

I needed to postpone building my X3 due to a long trip and now I'm back and how to grease/oil it is the most puzzling part for me
I never oil or grease anything. Bearings (assuming they are sealed) are already full of grease and oiling them just washes the grease out. Shafts do not need lubrication - it's just something that dirt sticks to (which will do more damage than leaving them un-lubricated).

I used to use dri-lube on shafts but found that a nicely polished shaft actually has less friction/sticktion than one with lubrication.

Silicon spray on belts and ATF on one-way bearings are the only things I use.

So many heli's, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation, that was what the guy at the model shop had said more or less, but what about the instructions in the manual, just ignore them?
As in the screenshot below, it says oil the shaft and grease the bearing.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The main shaft doesn't need any oil.
The THRUST bearing however Does need to be greased.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuteopn View Post
The main shaft doesn't need any oil.
The THRUST bearing however Does need to be greased.
Oh yeah, definately. I forgot to mention that greasing the thrusts is a must.

So many heli's, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The one way bearing also needs to be greased. I also will put a drop of oil on the tail pitch slider, but only once or twice a season although the season is much longer in Florida.
Larryu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

what about main gear assembly and feathering shaft?

Old 08-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree on not oiling shafts. Oil them and the swash or tail slider will be sticking to them within a couple dozen flights. Nothing but trouble. Polished smooth and clean is the most reliable in my experience.

Bearings are lubed when new, but I don't expect that to last forever. These bearings spin fast and lots of revolutions. After millions of revolutions, I sincerely doubt the little balls inside there are still sufficiently lubed. Even if there is still grease inside there, it's all mooshed up against the edges and not being constantly smeared on the balls. Lol.

I've never found any significant quantity of grease inside bearings that have come apart or that I've peeled open.

I wouldn't get carried away either though. Maybe a drop of oil when doing a crash rebuild, but that's it. If you never crash, then I suppose eventually a preventative lubing might be a good idea, but I think you're wasting time and oil to lube all the bearings on a frequent interval.

One way bearing, I add a drop of ATF, evenly spread around, during every crash rebuild and no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hope my question fits here, i dont wanted to start another grease thread.

So i got my hands on THIS grease. I am pretty sure it will work for thrust bearings, but i am not sure if i could use this also for plastic/rubber parts (head dampeners, o-rings) or servo gears?

Hopefully anybody can give me some advise.
Shonkonray is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

For thrust bearings you want the grease as thick and sticky as you can get, as it will last longer and stay put. For dampers, silicone grease is best as it won't degrade rubber over time. Servo gears, I will use lithium on when replacing them, but no need to open the servo up just to grease the gears.

I oil my main and tail shafts every couple of weeks during the flying season, which ends up being every 40-50 flights or so. Use light triflow, not grease, on the shafts. Only oil them to decrease friction further, not in attempt to cover up an issue with a binding tail mechanism. Oiling shafts when flying in a dusty area will turn into a mess though.

Silicone spray on the belt before it goes in the heli and maybe once a season is enough.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you dylan. Then i will get a good industrial silicon grease for the dampener. Just to be at the safe side.
Shonkonray is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.