180 Cuts out in flight - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 180CFX

180CFX Blade 180CFX Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 180 Cuts out in flight

I have an intermittent problem I can't get to the bottom of. My heli has started to cut out in flight. It boots up fine and will take off ok then in stunt mode the motor suddenly stops as if it has been switched off. Its not LVC as this slows the motor. I've tried a new battery with no success and I've looked at the connections which all seem ok. Is this a known problem with the ESC or motor. The motor is fairly new and nothing is getting hot. Being intermittent it is really difficult to find but it doesn't seem to do this in the normal mode, only stunt mode.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check motor-ESC conectores.
Peel off shrink rubbing and re-solder, they may look good but the only way to know for sure is doing this.
salrica is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had the same problem and it ended up being the jst connector on the esc.

The female pins were wore out so the males were no longer making good contact. The arcing from that ended up cooking the POS battery lead from the esc in half.

Everything looked fine so I powered up the heli and wiggled wires to find the ones that would cut power when I wiggled them, then inspected them further.
Mini Protos 6s stretch×3/Chase360/Trex450 sport v2dfc/SK540's/180cfx/300cfx/ Walkera DF36/V977/UMX Pitts/RochobbyMXS 3d v2/Rochobby Nemesis NXT/RareBear funfighter620mm/one man's rc heaven is another man's rc hell
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I have now removed the connectors on the motor and the leads from the ESC and soldered the motor leads direct to the ESC. This has freed up some space in this cramped up area so the motor leads are no longer so tightly bent. The heli hovered ok in the garden but I will give it a proper try tomorrow. The ESC to battery lead looks ok and I've tried a couple of batteries, so I am not sure if there is a problem here. Can these plugs be bought separately?
Old 08-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know its a long shot but i had this weird issue with mine where it seemed like at the end of the flight mine would kinda cut out and loose power. well one day right after changing battery's as i started to spool up the motor just stopped.. o quickly hit TH picked up and looked... well the balance plug of the battery was stuck between the motor and the frame. i noticed the motor had lines on it where it had been rubbing. I now don't tuck the wires in the frame I only put them under the frame now and haven't had any issues

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2017, 05:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok I tried the heli again today and it is still cutting out then it started to hesitate on spooling up. I waggled the JST connector and it then spooled up so I am pretty certain its this. I've just bought a pack of 10 off flea bay so that should sort this issue. As mentioned it is pretty important to keep the wires away from the motor. A while back the pinion made a good job of sawing its was through a motor cable.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Swapped the JST connector and tried the heli again but still cutting out. Swapped the ESC for the spare and still the same so I've now sent the motor back to Horizon for a check - I guess that's the only thing it could be.

I know others seem to have many hours trouble free flying with this heli but mine must be jinxed. This last motor has only lasted about 60 flights and has not been heavily crashed. I reckon that 40% of this heli's life has been spent chasing issues.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a long shot...but what Throttle Curves do you have?

N?
IU1?
IU2?

Have you done any Talon15 programming?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
Just a long shot...but what Throttle Curves do you have?

N?
IU1?
IU2?

Have you done any Talon15 programming?
No this heli is stock with the stock curves from the manual. I'm not into programming and have a DX6i Tx
Old 08-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
Swapped the JST connector and tried the heli again but still cutting out. Swapped the ESC for the spare and still the same so I've now sent the motor back to Horizon for a check - I guess that's the only thing it could be.

I know others seem to have many hours trouble free flying with this heli but mine must be jinxed. This last motor has only lasted about 60 flights and has not been heavily crashed. I reckon that 40% of this heli's life has been spent chasing issues.
Wow,well i hope they find something wrong with it cause i hate having issues and finding nothing that makes it not work properly

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2017, 05:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am rather hoping HH will just bung a new motor in the post to me. This is what they've done in the past.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder if someone can help as I may be blaming a motor that's not at fault.

Essentially how does the ESC behave if the motor sees some resistance when spooling up?

I ask because I have decided to strip and re-build the heli pending return of the motor. With the motor removed I started spinning the head to check the bearings and how free everything was. At speed I could feel a bit of resistance which you would not feel if the motor was installed. To cut a long story short it was a disintegrated TT gear bearing in the tail case. There is a pair of bearings here so again this fault was not obvious. All done now though thanks to the spares box.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ESC most likely has some sort of thermal protection built in, so if there's enough resistance in the drive train it could cause the ESC (and motor) to heat up and then go into thermal shutdown at some point.
DX6 G3; Blade mCPS, Inductrix FPV, 180CFX (x2); Thunder Tiger Mini-Titan E325 V1, SE & TT; Century Swift 16, NX, N4022E Jet Ranger; Hirobo Quark SRB (x3); Flyzone Sensei; E-Flite Apprentice 15e; Phoenix, RF7.5, Clearview, Heli-X;
Blog: http://tamingtheblade180cfx.blogspot.com
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2017, 03:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
The ESC most likely has some sort of thermal protection built in, so if there's enough resistance in the drive train it could cause the ESC (and motor) to heat up and then go into thermal shutdown at some point.
There has been no sign of the motor getting hot when it cuts out and on spool up the motor only turns a few times before it stutters so it doesn't have time to heat up. Anyway the bird is re-built now and I know everything is 100% so I'll just wait on the motor.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know on mine I was having trouble with the motor shutting off in flight. It ended up being two of the motor wires on the motor side at the connectors were weak (at separate times), had to resolder them. Then on a couple of occasions the motor would shut of in flight right after I would take off and it ended up being that I had the gear mesh was too tight between the main gear and the pinion gear, loosened it up and everything is ok.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 180 is also cutting off in flight. It's happened about 3 or 4 times now. It will do this about every other flight but is becoming more frequent. The batteries are in good shape. I'm thinking it's the ESC. I'm also thinking of putting a better ESC in but I thought these model came with a castle creations esc from what I understand to be a good brand. I hate the idea of putting more money into this heli since I've sunk so much time in money into it already. I've got lynx servos, lynx boom and tt with slipper clutch, lynx tail, spektrum metal gear tail servo and lynx boom mount. I hate the idea of throwing good money after bad money. I might just have to get a Oxy2 and quit wasting my time and money on this little bird. I really did like it when it flew. At least I can transfer parts from it to an O2.
heinz9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

99x out of 100 it's a bad connection. Loose or damaged wire/connector or bad solder joint. Unless you messed with any throttle or other settings recently. It's a good esc and most likely not the problem anyway. I'd definitely put the time in to figure out what's going on before buying/changing anything. Plug it in and wiggle wires till it cuts out. If it only does it while spooled up then take the blades off and give it just enough throttle to get things spinning then wiggle wires one at a time.

Pretty much has to be between the esc and battery, esc and motor or esc and fbl although a short anywhere can cause any number of strange behaviors.

Don't be surprised if all your batteries crap out at the same time either especially if they've sat for a little while. Have a pile of 180 lipos that charge/balance/read just fine but crumble as soon as you get the heli off the ground.

I also made the mistake of pissing a bunch of money away on upgrades/bling and all it did was increase crash costs. Except for metal servo gears and a H3060 tail servo I ended up crashing it back to stock anyway. Should have cut out the middle man and threw that money straight into the trash.

Was a good lesson though. If you want a high quality, high performance heli then buy one, don't try to turn a sloppy micro into one. No matter how much money you spend it'll still be a 180cfx.

180 is a great little beater that's super quick and easy to repair. Everything but the main gear/pinion mesh aligns itself and with non-adjustable pitch links all you have to do is center the servo horns and/or adjust the servo to swash links to level the swash and set pitch.

Wasn't made for peak precision or performance. Was made to beat on and be a nice step between a nano and a 450. Flies a lot better than a nano but is still a micro so it's going to behave like one now n then and while doing this and that. To be expected for how much it costs.
Mini Protos 6s stretch×3/Chase360/Trex450 sport v2dfc/SK540's/180cfx/300cfx/ Walkera DF36/V977/UMX Pitts/RochobbyMXS 3d v2/Rochobby Nemesis NXT/RareBear funfighter620mm/one man's rc heaven is another man's rc hell

Last edited by learnedthehardway; 08-30-2017 at 02:21 PM..
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I went through all the connections. I have a spare ESC so swapped this out to no avail. I ended up sending the motor back to HH but since they have moved from the UK to Germany I have heard nothing from them in three weeks. In the meantime I bought a new motor and it now works fine. I am thinking that the old motor must have had a faulty connection in the motor.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

This has happened to me twice. I was thinking it was a issue with the rx or my tx or the esc is getting too hot and failing. I will check my wires.

Both times the helo was very close by, so I don't think it's a signal issue. I have no trouble getting signal out over 1000 feet in any orientation. I use a 2W amplifier.

Yesterday it happened on my 8th pack and I had to land on a roof. There was no damage but there could have been. This thing falls like a rock.

Today it happened while I was a couple hundred feet up. Whatever it was had time to reset and my motor spooled up again and I continued flying. I did some pitch pumps are low altitude to try to trigger it again thinking it was a hot ESC but there were no more issues for that battery or the one after.

Very confused.
flat tire is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well as I said above a change of motor cured it.. Obviously try all the connectors. In the end I had it running whilst someone held the heli and waggled all the wires but that didn't stop the motor. I think in my case it was an intermittent fault in the motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.