New to the sk540 any tips? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DCflyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to the sk540 any tips?

I generally fly vbar ikon spartan I just picked up my first sk540 and was wondering if there were any tips I should know about? I will be setting it up on a goblin 380 hw esc,kst cyclic,bk tail and an xnova motor
That.Heli.Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nope just follow the wizards and read the tuning wiki's and you'll be good. Super easy to setup and tune
Old 09-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by That.Heli.Dude View Post
I generally fly vbar ikon spartan I just picked up my first sk540 and was wondering if there were any tips I should know about? I will be setting it up on a goblin 380 hw esc,kst cyclic,bk tail and an xnova motor
Check to make sure you have the latest firmware / software. Latest software is 4.09 and latest firmware is 4.08 for the gyro. Do the update before setup. You will need to power the unit with a power source before updating. If you have a really old firmware on the gyro (rare but possible) you will need to update the gyro to 3.43 first (some people have problems going from pre-3.43 to the latest firmware).

I'd open the software first and familiarize yourself with the dashboard. Under one of the drop downs, you can change your view to "advanced" - i'd do that so you can have access to the full tuning options.

There is also a "Wizard" drop down. By selecting these, you can set up the machine step by step OR you can do it manually by going through the various tuning tabs from left to right.

Also, you can select a baseline tune in one of the drop downs (3D, sport, etc). I usually start with 3D and tune from there.

Before hooking up any servo's etc (I usually don't even have the FBL mounted) its, good to plug in the FBL and set up your Tx (inputs, check orientation, compensations, travels, etc) in the software. Bind, set failsafes, etc. Binding and failsafes are found in one of the dropdowns.

SKookum has an absolutely fantastic Wiki page for setup and tuning. Do make sure to check that out. That should get you up and running very quickly.

Also, SKookum has a youtube page you should check out. If you plan on using the Skookum governor, the setup for this is a little different than other units. They will have that step by step process on their YT page.

Another quick note: You can make changes to the setup by just plugging in the FBL usb (unlike Ikon where you have to actually power the helicopter). You don't even have to power your Tx. Just plug in the FBL, let it initialize, and make your changes. However, for doing pitch setup, binding, failsafes, governor setup, etc you'll need a power source.

I run Skooks on 3 of my machines and really like them.
Falung_69 likes this.
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.