Ahead of their time - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > Protos 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ahead of their time

While you all enjoy your 380 I had
my maiden on my new protos 500 stretch. Largest bird is ever flown.

Wow. Msh was ahead of their time I see.

Can't wait wait to try a 380 one day. I'll have fun with with 500 for now. Parts are dirt cheap, full helis for a sale all over for dirt cheap too.

Anyone else fly the 500 still?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Thickfog is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

the 500 is still very popular. mshusa sells tons of parts for them from what i hear. very advanced airframe when it came out and still competetive with other brands that size
RCHN #232
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What's sad is we all know they'll retire it sooner or later. And not because it's design has reached the end of the road, but rather msh must sell new stuff to exist as a company. And what do people want always? The newest thing! And sometimes the newest thing isn't better. And the newest thing is unproven.

But by the looks of the 380 knock out they pulled, their next 500 will be a category killer I bet.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
What's sad is we all know they'll retire it sooner or later. And not because it's design has reached the end of the road, but rather msh must sell new stuff to exist as a company. And what do people want always? The newest thing! And sometimes the newest thing isn't better. And the newest thing is unproven.

But by the looks of the 380 knock out they pulled, their next 500 will be a category killer I bet.

While the old design is proven, it's from a time when motor power was nowhere near what it is now, and battery tech of the time was still A123 NiCd. There's room for improvement over the single belt design with small OWB in the pinion. I'm sure the new model will be much more versatile with regards to motor selection, and will auto better with OWB in the main gear and a dual belt setup allowing us to run unequal belt tensions front and rear. I'm also hoping to see a standard 5mm tail blade root on the next 500.

The designers have a great handle on what makes a good helicopter, and they're active in the forums. They've seen the areas where improvements can be made and targeted these areas. Notice all the pinions are steel now? These guys are top notch, and you can be sure that when a new version of the 500 comes out, it will only improve on the old one, without sacrificing reliability or performance.
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
While the old design is proven, it's from a time when motor power was nowhere near what it is now, and battery tech of the time was still A123 NiCd. There's room for improvement over the single belt design with small OWB in the pinion. I'm sure the new model will be much more versatile with regards to motor selection, and will auto better with OWB in the main gear and a dual belt setup allowing us to run unequal belt tensions front and rear. I'm also hoping to see a standard 5mm tail blade root on the next 500.

The designers have a great handle on what makes a good helicopter, and they're active in the forums. They've seen the areas where improvements can be made and targeted these areas. Notice all the pinions are steel now? These guys are top notch, and you can be sure that when a new version of the 500 comes out, it will only improve on the old one, without sacrificing reliability or performance.
Those are exactly the updates I've would assume.

I wonder what else they'll have in store!

Old 08-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Max v2 was good, they even improved r2 main gear etc
evolution is a beauty upgrade. Then leggero...
380 is issue free it seems from the forums ( maybe the only minor gripe seems to be the weak swash In a crash, but if it breaks in a crash, something else is saved I guess).
The nitro is a thing of beauty.
I like msh models / community and spend time on the forums here.

I have trust in msh and the team pilots.

That said, the most important lack, which needs to be addressed on all msh models is clearly the lack of RGB lighting. It's proven in the pc and quad worlds that RGB lighting IS the way forward. Red makes it faster,green saves power and provides more flight Time etc...
If the next model doesn't have RGB lighting,I sell my msh heli's,..... ..
zomaar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The RGB 380 is here! Released to the public soon!

Protos 380 Night Ship (4 min 37 sec)

Old 08-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
The RGB 380 is here! Released to the public soon!

https://youtu.be/BVi80_-_R4g

Sweet. Having built a night ship myself, and knowing the labor involved, this kit will come at the low low cost of 1 arm and 1 leg.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Enforces my statement that there is a real business case here

They are loosing customers....
Old 08-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomaar View Post
Enforces my statement that there is a real business case here

They are loosing customers....
To drones/quads you mean?

Old 08-23-2017, 06:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wasn't very serious really,
Old 08-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sold my P500's

Got spoiled by the simplicity of the Mini Protos with a Lynx solid pinion and the pinion support removed. Plus I fly exclusively at schoolyards and other public places so 500 was a bit too big to fly where ppl who may not give it the proper respect/space might show up.

Great heli though. Had the plastic and CF stretch and neither gave me any trouble in the year or so I had them.

380 and Mini P are my favorite helis to date out of the 15-20 I've owned/flown so far. Even sold my Oxy3 cause I always ended up flying the Mini instead. Flies similar to the Oxy just a little more stable and easier to see. With Lynx main grips it also seemed to crash a little better than the Oxy.

Piled one of my Mini P's in hard and under power and the only damage was from a boom strike. Blades, tail servo push rod and one boom support. Boom was dented but still usable so it only cost me a set of blades and about $3 of CF rod.

Had another similar crash and only had to replace the main shaft and spindle. Little mofo's a tank. If it crashes on its side or the skids there's a very good chance you'll pick it back up and fly if the blades survive.

Never crashed the 500 so don't know if it has similar durability. Haven't crashed the 380 yet either

Last edited by learnedthehardway; 08-23-2017 at 12:06 PM..
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Mini was a tank, cheapest heli Ive ever had to crash. There were several fun flies where I picked it up off the runway and flew again. Most of the time I had to replace blades of course, and main grips, but that saved so much other damage. I had bought like 8 mainshafts for spares. Maybe used 2 of them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still flying my protos 500 have had for about 8 years started as a plastic kit and I have been slowly upgrading it .
It was ahead of it's time until the goblins came out. However it still can't be beat for crash costs in it class.
As long as parts are available. It will remain flying.
If they remake a v2 hopefully they get the grip sizes correct this time around plus all the other stuff posted earlier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.