After crash chaos! questions.... - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 150 Class Electric Helicopters

150 Class Electric Helicopters 150 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default After crash chaos! questions....

Hey guys & gals,

Crashed my 150 and noticed that something was messed up with the next battery, it wanted to just tilt over to the left. Started looking and it looked like the servos jumped a notch so I entered the app and re-centered the servos, moved to the pitch screen and hit "0 Pitch" and all of the servos jumped up and started chattering.....I tried to plug it back in twice and each time I connected to the app the servos started chattering.

So the question is, are they fried? How do I test them? Seems like when I enter the app to try to fix it they just start to chatter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried going into app in 3d mode instead of auto, don't know if it matters but simple try. Don't know a reason for all servo's to chatter. Maybe if the arms are physically off the auto level is getting the wrong position reported and trying to correct?? I've stripped 150 servo's before doing servo saver mod. Stripped servo's usually jump or get stuck vibrating in place since a tooth is missing but stripping all three would be a very hard thing to do since 150 stock arms are so strong. You should be able to physically touch the servo and feel the missing tooth in a servo when you move it with the radio, unless it's totally striped and won't move. I would think if the servos jumped a notch just re-centering them in the APP is not a good idea, maybe quick fix. The servos only have a limited range up or down. Every notch off is going to change that range ether on the high or low side. Would be better to physically take the servo arm off and re-center it. I'm pretty sure If you just plug in battery with radio off and app off the servo's will go to neutral position or center then can physically move arms to ~90. Try it first before taking anything apart. I have the new 150x and the old 150.
lakodathecat is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What you describe is a clear evidence of having stripped gears into the servos. If they only lost centering that could also be due to servo arms stepping some notch, but if in addition they jitter when they are powered, that proves that the servo mechanics are not able to follow the electronics commands.

However, you can always open the servo cases and take a look. You will have to do it anyway to replace gears.
Goblin 500
joanpeca is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanpeca View Post
What you describe is a clear evidence of having stripped gears into the servos. If they only lost centering that could also be due to servo arms stepping some notch, but if in addition they jitter when they are powered, that proves that the servo mechanics are not able to follow the electronics commands.

However, you can always open the servo cases and take a look. You will have to do it anyway to replace gears.
Well, you were not correct but I'm not sure exactly what happened. It ended up being the servo 1, there was a loose piece of plastic in the gears but none of them were broken. Took out the loose piece and it flies now....don't know what the little piece was from but I ordered metal gears anyway so I don't have to worry about it in the future.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't bother with metal gears. Metal gears transfer all the impact directly to the small electronics inside the servo. And the tiny metal gears aren't really all that strong anyway (they will still strip in a hard crash, trust me!) They also tend to wear out quickly and have more slop than the regular plastic gears.

The servo saver mod is literally a 5 minute job... just take the servo arm off, use a razor blade and cut a slit in the spline of the arm. Put it back on, reinstall the arm and don't overtighten the screw. It will slip in a crash and save the gears. An added benefit is that, because the servo arm slips, that takes a bulk of the crash impact, so the blades will never crack or break, less force is exerted on the overall mechanics of the helicopter.

This video shows the Blade 180 but the concept is identical.
Blade 180 CFX servo saver mod how to (3 min 25 sec)

No need for the o-rings. I don't use them and they work perfectly. 150+ flights and probably 2 dozen crashes and still on the original gears.
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2017, 05:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite View Post
Well, you were not correct but I'm not sure exactly what happened. It ended up being the servo 1, there was a loose piece of plastic in the gears but none of them were broken. Took out the loose piece and it flies now....don't know what the little piece was from but I ordered metal gears anyway so I don't have to worry about it in the future.
OMG! A servo which works with a missing part!! I wouldn't trust it. Check it very, very thoroughly before flying.

I also agree Number regarding the servo mods. Cheaper than replacing plastic o metal gears, and awesome results.
Goblin 500
joanpeca is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did the servo saver mod with the Lynx orings but I never put the screws back on! leave them off and your gears and horns wont wear out and last for ever.. it impacts hard enough they will just pop off, takes just a few secs to pop them back on
Danker16 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah sounds like a good idea, until it pops off in flight. It's not pretty
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you are using new servo horns they are on pretty tight so I would only leave the screws off with new horns.

if you had the screws on and crash alot they will wear out and eventually so its a bad idea to leave the screws off on used horns.

just my observations but im pretty new to this.
Danker16 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.