Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > FPV Racing Discussion

FPV Racing Discussion FPV Racing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FPV goggle advice

Hi team,
I've just made the move to FPV drones and looking at doing a bit of racing with them. I've recently been given a second hand ZMR250 with a set of Fatshark Teleporter goggles. It has taken me a bit to get used to flying with them but I'm getting there.
I've quickly realised that the image I'm seeing through the goggles isn't the greatest and am looking at upgrading.
My question to the floor is, what would you recommend as a good set of goggles that provide a clear picture and are good for racing?

Cheers
Gallandro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallandro View Post
Hi team,
I've just made the move to FPV drones and looking at doing a bit of racing with them. I've recently been given a second hand ZMR250 with a set of Fatshark Teleporter goggles. It has taken me a bit to get used to flying with them but I'm getting there.
I've quickly realised that the image I'm seeing through the goggles isn't the greatest and am looking at upgrading.
My question to the floor is, what would you recommend as a good set of goggles that provide a clear picture and are good for racing?

Cheers

Couple questions for you,

#1 Budget

Youre going to get the response that ONLY the latest and greatest from fatshark is was all the racers use..... But realistically your budget will dictate.

#2 Style

You say you are racing but are you racing racing where you need the most competitive edge or are you just fast flying and wanting to be able to see more?

#3 Preference

Have you tried anything besides what you have now? My best recommendation is to go to a meet up and see if they have some different sets you can try on.

Now all that being laid out and said, I personally have used every goggle in the Fatshark Line up to the HD2. I found the Predator and Teleporter just too small for AP or fast flying use. Then I tried the Attitude v2. Great goggle but the internal lens was just so big that the outer edges were always blurry. Tried the Dom V2 and pretty much stayed there. Played with a few other people Dov v3 and HD/HD2 and while the FOV was better I still felt it was just a hair too big.

The reason I personally feel that they are too big, when Im flying fast and Im into it, I dont really want to have to look waaaay around all over the screen to see what Im trying to see. I typically want the video right there in front of my eyes without too much movement. Ive also used a few different sets of the big box goggles and again, while fun for tooling around, if I start flying fast and hard I feel like its too much for my eyes to process that quickly.

So from general advice, my preference is the (outdated) Dominator V2.

My buddy uses these and I really like them but the screen thing.
https://www.banggood.com/KDS-Kylin-V...l?rmmds=search
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My preference is also Dominator V2.

BUT: as Woody mentions, go to a meetup and try different goggles and screens. I like the 'binocular' view of the goggles. I do not like the 'full screen' view that you get with the bangood screen that Woody mentions. The 'screen' type of goggles give me motion sickness but others prefer the 'screen' type.
u8mydog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just bought these goggles for my daughter.... very nice for the money.. can do either 4:3 or 16:9 .... I use FS HD2's and very happy with them.. really like the DVR built in... haven't used anything else...
Gaui x7 14s yge320 072515 (2 min 5 sec)
fastblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I went from a box goggle to Fatshark dominator V3s. I just bomb around so the field of view of the box goggle was fine but I had this giant thing strapped to my head. The Dominator V3s are much better, still have a good field of view (16:9) but like others have said the smaller field of view lets me fly faster through tighter areas. And I don't have a giant thing strapped to my head. I tried teleporters and they sucked. I hated the tiny field of view and the picture quality was wretched.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in