"Upgrading" wren fuel pump - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Turbine Helicopters

Turbine Helicopters Turbine R/C Helicopters

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By boogeyhillrc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "Upgrading" wren fuel pump

I say "upgrade" loosely here, but i was having starting issues with my wren, 1100 minutes on it so far. First issue was the brass crosspin in the bendix. I pressed it out, machined a new one out of a grade 8 bolt and pressed the new one in. If i wouldnt have wanted to get it back up and going asap, i would have ordered one from mcmaster.com. The size is a 2mmx10mm long dowel pin. The hardened crosspin works much better.

Second problem was the fuel pump, i was constantly messing with the start parameters (in case anyone cares, my ecu is a v6). Id get it adjusted and the next start it either wouldnt start, barely start, or throw flames.
Being as impatient as i am i soldered on a new flightworks fw200d pump that i had from another project. I reset everything to the minimum factory specs and gave it a go. Instant flames. I turned the pump start point, min fuel %, and pump pwr igntion kero, below minimums. MUCH better, 2 more "tweak runs" and this thing starts and runs better than when it was new! Did a test hover and ran great, i did have to increase the decel a little bit to smooth it out.
With the old pump the engine had a hard time keeping a consistent idle, it would range from 53,000 to 57,000, sometimes more than that. Now it hangs right at 55,000/55,400. Also because of the bigger pump it "drives" less, a 10 minute start/hover/cooldown only used 158mah, and there is lots of head room in the adjustments for future wear. Im still gonna run all of this past mike at wren, but so far its been a great "upgrade", i couldnt find the stock pump anywhere, and i was up and going again in an hour.
boogeyhillrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad to see your achievements.

I had too many flameouts. It really bothered me a lot in the past.

Finally, just realized that pump was out of order. The fuel supply was not sufficient for high speed rpm.

Replaced 2 pumps (1 FW, 1HP)~ every pump was good enough for only 3 years.

Of course, I practiced auto rotation for more than 30 times........
KevinChiu123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mine ran fine at high rpms, it was the low side that i had problems with. Now my engine starts and idles perfect, and the throttle is very responsive. Im sure others get the same results from using the factory pump, but the point of this post was to show that the more common and easily available fw200 pump WILL work on the wren 44. Maybe in the next day or so i will record all my settings as a baseline for others in the future.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I'd love to see your baseline parameters. I tried an FC-200 pump on my '54 several years ago and while I did get the engine to fire and run, it wasn't as easy as it was with the original Hausel pump so I ended up pulling it and replacing with another Hausel.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heres a link to the 6th start with the fw200 pump, first real flight so theres nothing exciting, just some bouncing around and what not to get use to the heli. In the video from the time the ignitor comes on to idle is around 35 seconds, but i just flew it tonight and it seemed to start faster than that. Ill try to get my settings recorded tomorrow.

It was also 40F (4c) that day. Not sure if temp will make any difference starting once its up to 85-95.

T Rex 800 Wren Turbine (6 min 39 sec)

Last edited by boogeyhillrc; 01-02-2017 at 09:29 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok heres ONLY settings i changed, everything else is factory settings.

START menu:

Pump start point: 023
Pump Pw ignition K: 021
Engine min flow: 025%

RUN menu:

Deceleration delay: 014
Old 01-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone remember Bell Bloke's video?start,do 2 circuits land and shut down all in under 2 minutes?
helibeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone remember Bell Bloke's video?start,do 2 circuits land and shut down all in under 2 minutes?

Great Video, with the final dump landing..

Its not listed anymore on YouTube.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi, i would like to know what your pitch setting are and throttle settings with the pitch on the e.c.u. and your f.b.l unit, what makeis it. regards ivor. great video my yt is (rcglo1)
ivormiller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2017, 02:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogeyhillrc View Post
Ok heres ONLY settings i changed, everything else is factory settings.

START menu:

Pump start point: 023
Pump Pw ignition K: 021
Engine min flow: 025%

RUN menu:

Deceleration delay: 014

I am also having trouble with my Trex 700 Wren 44i fuel pump...it quit during my first run up of the turbine. I had a wet start, put out the exhaust stack flames (after a few seconds of being uncomfortable) with a Halon extinguisher and attempted another start. Pump would not turn on....even after checking everything to include putting power directly to the pump after removal from the system.

Is this pump still working well for you and where might I find it? The only pump I can find is from dreamworks and its the FW-200C, I cant find an FW-200D like the one you are using. I appreciate any help you can offer, thanks!!

Derek
Pennywise330 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default More Wrens!

David Boon "Zealous/Wren 54 Longranger"

Maiden Flight.wmv (3 min 38 sec)

Last edited by GLimo; 09-06-2017 at 05:26 PM..
GLimo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations~~~~~
KevinChiu123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise330 View Post
I am also having trouble with my Trex 700 Wren 44i fuel pump...it quit during my first run up of the turbine. I had a wet start, put out the exhaust stack flames (after a few seconds of being uncomfortable) with a Halon extinguisher and attempted another start. Pump would not turn on....even after checking everything to include putting power directly to the pump after removal from the system.

Is this pump still working well for you and where might I find it? The only pump I can find is from dreamworks and its the FW-200C, I cant find an FW-200D like the one you are using. I appreciate any help you can offer, thanks!!

Derek
Remove pump, plumb outlet to a fuel source, connect to 5V to turn backwards, and then run for 10-20 seconds to clear possible debris. This is the most common cause of a failure to pump and will often fix the problem.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I could swear mine is a 200D, but maybe it is a C. Anyways once summer hit here, i had alot more problems with starting. I ended up turning the pump limit down to half, and re-adjusted alot of settings, but i finally got it to start right. I did buy another factory 44 pump in case i run into a project that needs a 200. I also noticed that my 200 wasnt "broken in" when i installed it and required several fiddling sessions with the settings as it broke in. Ill break in the new pump when it gets here.

I also had to rebuild my gearbox as one bearing was wore out, and the other was in bad shape. Ended up finding out that the bleed air tap was plugged, not letting cooling air into the gearbox and was not properly distributing the fuel/air mix. $200 in bearings and all has been well, currently at 35.5 hours!

Im looking at possibly replacing the aging wren with a jets-munt in the future. Brushless pump and starter is one big plus, as well as the cleanest install you could ask for, just one fuel line and one wire to the engine and its done.
MattJenner likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.