VTX Rotorblades - Aero Engineering - Page 21 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #401 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want to continue to twist my helpfulness into something sinister it's not helping.

What "eye" did with the inspiration of a higher power was ROUND the TIP profile, they look a lot more pleasing and natural and I know will fly ever so slightly better. The squared tip to me just doesn't seem to fit the overall design aesthetic. Now they are BEAUTIFUL there ya go, now want to see a picture? Sure, it wasn't easy to do taking a brand new item and altering it, sharing the notion online and knowing some backlash might be in order.

Mods, I certainly am trying to do my best to get involved in a productive and thought provoking way without trouncing on anyone's ego. A lot of money goes into making a rc heli product available for retail purchase and a lot of time invested to do public relations, no doubt it can get tiring and frustrating.

it's a bad case of "Alpha Male Syndrome" you entice me to partake in, nice work, better luck with some other stranger. Now don't tell me no one understands that?

bugcatcher, what was the design specific you feel was taken from you?

If I got specific and criticized the idea vtx has more efficiency, is more floaty, and has whatever else could be an improvement over straight edge blades with vtx your heli is swinging only two thirds the weight of other blades and are going to take less energy to turn, to fly, and that will result in longer flight times marginally. If for instance you took an 800 blade and cut it down to 700mm while losing the ballast and making the 700 80mm wide chord I can guarantee the same results everyone talks about with vtx. Now tell me who out of all of you would do that to compare? (I would have to if there was a ton of money to experiment).

Bill, if I may ask of your royal highness, can you round the tips and check it for yourself, doesn't seem like much to ask and what if it's good for you?
iflywithmylittleeye is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #402 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflywithmylittleeye View Post
What "eye" did with the inspiration of a higher power was ROUND the TIP profile, they look a lot more pleasing and natural and I know will fly ever so slightly better. The squared tip to me just doesn't seem to fit the overall design aesthetic.
Let me get this straight.

VTX and their crew spent years developing a new blade, specifically working on the blade tip and other aspects to improve efficiency and flight performance...

...and you took a Dremel to a set of perfectly good blades to round it off because God told you that it would look and fly better?

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #403 (permalink)
Registered Users

The internet does strange things man. Strange things.
* G700c IKON * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 06:15 PM   #404 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ......

If its something somewhat controversial just dont post anything and keep the thoughts to yourself. This thread is for questions, info and it is super active and helpful in many ways. Bill doesnt have to do any of this and yet he still takes some of his time to help us with our doubts. The least we can do is support and compliment VTX for making the best rotor blades to date.
Team Xpert RC USA
xcellfury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #405 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflywithmylittleeye View Post
Bill, if I may ask of your royal highness, can you round the tips and check it for yourself, doesn't seem like much to ask and what if it's good for you?
For the record, I did warn you. Bye.
Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #406 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
For the record, I did warn you. Bye.
Rick
Thank you.
1:44.533 on Mount Wario.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #407 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauropitotto View Post
Let me get this straight.

VTX and their crew spent years developing a new blade, specifically working on the blade tip and other aspects to improve efficiency and flight performance...

...and you took a Dremel to a set of perfectly good blades to round it off because God told you that it would look and fly better?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #408 (permalink)
Registered Users

Back on topic, got a set each of 477, 557 & 717 on the way and should be giving them a good workout this weekend. I know there is some tuning needed but be firstly doing a direct comparison with back to back flights. Looking forward to flying what is one hot discussion right now.
Bugcatcher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #409 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Rick. Back on track...

Bugcatcher - awesome! Looking forward to hearing some flight reporting from you.

And just a brief word about this thread:

VTX allowed myself and Ryan to speak here solely for the benefit of the community. We're not marketing guys and this is not a marketing thread. We're not paid a dime for doing this. We want this to be an open, honest discussion about our blades and how they work (or don't) and we think the participation here makes the effort worth it.

I only ask that responses be constructive, respectful and truthful. Thats it. If there's something you think we need to work on more, this is definitely the place for that. Imaginary design changes; hypothetical ideas ... don't belong here.

Of course, we also welcome complimentary reports... but the fact is we probably would have been a failure in the market had we not gotten the critical feedback needed on our 697 prototypes.

Honest inquiries into our blade design are welcome, and I will answer to the extent allowed short of breaching VTX's proprietary boundaries.

Thanks
Bill.
VTX Designs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #410 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Designs View Post
Thanks Rick. Back on track...
Yes.....thank you Rick! This is one of my favorite threads.
Bill, I really appreciate your willingness to discuss the design details and considerations taken in producing the VTX blade line.

I am currently running 717s on my Logo700, 697s on my Logo690. I hope to try some 557s on my Logo550 SX and SE before the end of the summer.

KevinB
KevinB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #411 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Yes.....thank you Rick! This is one of my favorite threads.
Bill, I really appreciate your willingness to discuss the design details and considerations taken in producing the VTX blade line.

I am currently running 717s on my Logo700, 697s on my Logo690. I hope to try some 557s on my Logo550 SX and SE before the end of the summer.

KevinB

Howdy Kevin - You've got a great stable of helicopters there!

Thanks for the kind words.... I do enjoy the discussion myself. I believe there will be a few more years ahead (at least) involved here in the RC heli industry. Looking forward to it!

Keep em flying!

Bill.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #412 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

been following this thread for a while and i thought it is now time to add my 2 pennies . i will apologize for the rambling in the beginning any way here goes.
i bought a used 480xx about a year ago and it has quickly become my favourite heli ,i flies fast if i want but is also very good when it comes to slow 3d(that's my thing) i thought i would try a pair of vtx blades on it . so about a month ago i bought a set and was amazed at the difference it made , lower headspeed and more punch also felt a lot crisper ,
because of the way the 480 flew i decided to swap my synergy E5s for a logo 550 , the only hit i had was from someone wanting to trade a logo 500 (running 500 mm blades) which i accepted needing a smaller heli . E5s was just too big for my field . so when it arrived i had a hard time finding parts , the boom and belt weren't standard but cut down to fly the 500 mm blades so i decided to bring it back to stock which turned out to be a 550sx v2 . so i have been flying it with 500 mm blades for a few weeks and this now coincides with me getting the vtx blades for the 480, i had to wait a couple of weeks but i ordered a set to try out on the 550 .
fast forward to last week , the blades came in and i tried them without changing anything and to be honest wasn't as impressed with them as i was with the 480 . didn't feel as floaty as i was expecting or as sharp , so i read the tuning guide and as i have a v bar mini in the heli it was fairly easy to copy what was suggested, i lowered the headspeed to 2100 and made the other adjustments finally tried it yesterday .
the verdict . they have transformed this heli . it is now much more floaty and flies very simillarly to the way the 480 flies (in my mind at least) so i had 4 flights with the 550 and then went back to my favourite 480 and realized that i need to adjust the gains for it as it now feels very quick especially off centre . all in all i like the way they fly , they are perfect for my style , low headspeed slow 3d, sorry for the rambling, great job
anthony
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #413 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
(snip) ... fast forward to last week , the blades came in and i tried them without changing anything and to be honest wasn't as impressed with them as i was with the 480 . didn't feel as floaty as i was expecting or as sharp , so i read the tuning guide and as i have a v bar mini in the heli it was fairly easy to copy what was suggested, i lowered the headspeed to 2100 and made the other adjustments finally tried it yesterday .
the verdict . they have transformed this heli . it is now much more floaty and flies very simillarly to the way the 480 flies (in my mind at least) so i had 4 flights with the 550 and then went back to my favourite 480 and realized that i need to adjust the gains for it as it now feels very quick especially off centre . all in all i like the way they fly , they are perfect for my style , low headspeed slow 3d, sorry for the rambling, great job
anthony
Great job yourself there buddy!

Your findings reinforce the fundamentals we try to stress: VTX blades are designed for specific operating speeds. Running within the recommended envelope will reward with top performance as you've found.

Job well done!

Bill.

edit: re-posting a link to "VTX Blades Setup Tips" because its so important to get this right. Our blades do require some FBL tweaks for optimum performance and feel. Not being very good with RC heli radios and electronics, I've been remiss in getting this started. Probably should be made into a sticky thread as its quite important.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #414 (permalink)
Registered Users

When will the next 557s be in stock?
Lowknifedge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #415 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello LowKnife,

Honestly I don't have insight into the production lot timing on VTX products. I think they might be in stock currently at OnlyFineHelis.

Production lots come out on a regular basis, so the resupply should be in hand in the not distant future.

Best,
Bill.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #416 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Waiting for 557s

I recently backordered some 557s and I cant wait to try them. I'll surely make a nice video and write a review on them once I try them out.
Team Xpert RC USA
xcellfury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #417 (permalink)
Registered Users

After reading about how the 557s almost equaled Edge 600s for their lift, I bought a set to try on my 550se.
With the 600 blades, when flying it in fast backwards inverted, my tail would usually blow out if there was any gusting wind. I put the VTX 557 on and with the extra room that afforded, I bumped the tail blades up to 105s. Now the tail is super locked in. Even at the lower head speeds. No more blow outs! With the better stall characteristics of the VTX 557s, I was able to bump my collective up a bit (to 14.5), and I'm getting pretty much the same pop as I had with the Edge 600 blades also.

I have to get some servos back in my 550sx and try the 557s there as well when I get some time.

Thanks Bill !

KevinB
KevinB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #418 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kevin - thanks for the report. Its always good to hear a success story!

Bill
Old 09-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #419 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you need any more convincing....I came in third place in the Abilene autorotation contest using my new Logo 550 and VTX 557 blades!!! Everyone else had 700s and 800s and only lost by 6 inches (need a better pilot), lol!!!
Freeskiken, GregCA and ultrataco like this.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #420 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was there watching!
tjmarti is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.