Should I get a T-Rex 150???? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 150 Class Electric Helicopters

150 Class Electric Helicopters 150 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Number
  • 2 Post By Number
  • 2 Post By Number

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Should I get a T-Rex 150????

For quite a while now I've thought about possibly getting a T-Rex 150, but I don't know much about it, I'm just looking at something fairly inexpensive but must be capable of hard 3d. Hmm thinking either the 150x, the T-Rex 250? Or blade 180 cfx trio??? Please, any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Cj_ace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Based on my experience I'd say avoid the T150 at all costs. The one I had was easily the worst heli I've owned. It didn't fly very well (horribly tail heavy for starters) but also was fragile and horrendous to work on. Eventually the controller board failed (very common) which is an uneconomic repair due to replacement cost.

I've had a Blade 180CFX too, that was a MUCH better heli compared to the T150, but not great. Blade parts are pretty expensive for what they are, just as expensive as most 450 helis in fact, so I didnt see the point except maybe for indoor flying.

I havent owned a T250 but they often dont get great reviews. Having said that a flying buddy has one and his seems to go pretty well and he likes it. I think the main 'issue' is that you may as well get a 450 because the costs are similar and the 450 is better.

The heli that gets rave reviews in the Oxy range, either 2 or 3... The 3 is similar size to the Trex 250, but again you could get a 450 as cheap if not cheaper.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you very much!! Ya I definitely don't want to waste money, hmmm seems like no other option than a 450 as far as cost effective.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 150X is one of my favorite helicopters. Once you learn how to fly a micro, it opens up many possibilities for flying locations.

In terms of flight, the 150X is very capable of doing many or all moves of larger helicopters. The motor gets pretty hot, so I have two of them for back to back flying.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm with Grumpy on the old 150... I hated it. Sold it in mint condition after flying it 3 times for $50. Cyclic feel was awkward making even basic flips and tic tocs almost impossible (for me at least), tail was terrible, and crashes racked up the money fast.

....But the 150X is a totally different machine. I've got over 150 flights on mine now. Absolutely nothing like the old 150 DFC. Best motored-tail-micro I've owned by a long shot. Dead smooth, extremely powerful, perfect tail holding (full collective funnels? yes.) and affordable to crash. I can do just about every maneuver with it that I could do with my bigger helicopters, including piroflips, full collective funnels and hurricanes, mobius, 4 point tic tocs, and tail wag tic tocs. It's honestly incredible. Favorite micro by far. For reference, I've also built and flown Oxy2, Oxy3, T-REX 250, 180CFX, and most of the other blade micros.
acidkindred likes this.
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well what are common parts broke in crashes, so if I pick one up I can get spares
Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you do the servo saver mod (look it up on YouTube) the servos hold up extremely well. The most important thing is that you fly over grass and hit throttle hold on time. The 150X is extremely powerful with lots of headspeed so it can do some damage to itself if it hits the ground at full power (this applies to any helicopter).

Generally if I’m quick on hold many crashes I can just pick it up and keep flying. If I’m a little late I’ll often strip the main gear.

Some crashes the feathering shaft bends, but not always, so I’d pick up some spares just in case. An easy way to check for bends is taking a blade off and putting a hex driver into one of the screws in the feathering shaft and turning the whole feathering shaft (then clockwise so you don’t loosen the screw). If one of the grips moves up and down when you turn the shaft, it’s bent.

Sometimes I bend the tail boom a little but I’ve always been able to bend it straight by hand. Only need to replace that if the metal creases/folds because then you can’t bend it back. But generally the heli is light enough that it probably won’t bend that bad... I’ve crashed probably a few dozen times including some tail first under power, and I’ve yet to need to buy a new tail boom.

The canopy tends to fly off in a crash which saves it a lot of damage.

I’ve yet to bend a main shaft, but the main shaft bearings do wear out after a while and the heli gets very noisy in flight, so I’d pick up a set of main shaft bearings to keep as backup.

Bear in mind that this heli is still extremely powerful for its size and has the potential to do damage to itself in a crash. It moves fast and will move fast into the ground if you dumb thumb it. Also keep in mind that the above stated is only true with the servo saver mod, crashing in grass not concrete, and have good throttle hold reflexes. Crash on concrete and all bets are off. You can’t expect a heli this powerful to crash like a Nano CPX, but significant damage is relatively easily preventable.
acidkindred and emillion like this.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

To clarify... my experience was with the Trex 150 DFC, not the newer 150X.

It was my understanding that the only significant difference was the addition of stabilisation to the flight controller, otherwise the two were pretty much the same?

please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thank you! And that makes sense, I've heard a lot of bad about the older etc, but the new 150x I've heard many good things about
Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
To clarify... my experience was with the Trex 150 DFC, not the newer 150X.

It was my understanding that the only significant difference was the addition of stabilisation to the flight controller, otherwise the two were pretty much the same?

please correct me if I'm wrong.

Indeed the controller is a significant change but it’s the thing that had the biggest impact on flight performance. Not just the self leveling - I don’t use that at all. It comes default with BLHeli ESC firmware which is huge, and the FBL unit performance itself is so much better. It no longer flies like 3GX

It also comes with a faster motor (9000kV) which gives it a bit more power. Main shaft is now hardened steel, the DFC was aluminum and VERY soft. The tail motor also now has a plug in the rear so you can remove the tail motor without soldering.

I forgot to mention, OP, get some spare tail rotors too. In unlucky tail first crashes they tend to snap off or crack.
acidkindred and emillion like this.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you tone down the 150x without it overheating? I'm not a high headspeed kinda guy, I'd rather get longer flight times.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
Can you tone down the 150x without it overheating? I'm not a high headspeed kinda guy, I'd rather get longer flight times.
Most definitely, by adjusting your throttle curves and pitch curves.
3D Ambitions is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I own the whole fleet of Align from Trex 150x to Trex700L.

Only from Trex 500 onwards, you have something solid lasting for several years.

All the micros break easily, but are sometimes usefull in small places like garden, garage, in front of the house etc.

The Trex 150x flies great, but if you have a harder crash, you can put it into garbage.

It sometimes helps to practice over higher grass. In case of a previewed crash, do immediate throttle cut and landing will be soft.

Sven
lahannsven is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.