Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pitch expo for 3D anyone?

Hi guys, I would like to know if anyone applies some expo to the pitch channel for 3D assuming the standard 3D pitch being a stright line 0-50-100.

Ikon/Brain and probably other FBL sistems have the possibility to add expo to the pitch so I wonder if someone might find it usable for 3D flying style.

Thanks

Last edited by Mateyhv; 09-21-2017 at 05:03 PM..
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Expo on pitch would basically smooth/flatten out your pitch curve at center stick. For 3D flight, where you need that pop off center stick for tic tocs and fast direction changes this is probably not ideal.

I personally run negative expo on the pitch channel in my ikon for my aggressive 3D bank. Also run some pitch boost, higher feed forward gains, and an agility setting of 60-70 for that locked in robotic feel. My I gains are also a bit higher for this bank.
OXY rep
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

depends on the heli I'm flying also depends how much over all pitch I'm running

I don't find it practically easy finding center stick with only 1/16 of a inch of play as an extreme

ive noticed some vids before with klye stacy is actually flicking the collective to get it to pop and stop

also during something like tic tocs theres the combining of cyclic and collective feed which I think tightens up the feel also HS will produce a variable

but really what ever works for you and what ur used to

Last edited by Kap'n Krunch; 09-21-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

While I've never used actual expo, I have made center a little wider before by running a curve similar to 0-27-50-73-100. When moving the sticks around quickly for 3d I found it easier because the helicopter wasn't so pitchy at center. In my opinion it made it easier to get hard stops because the heli wasn't constantly bobbing up or down.

Just experiment and use what feels good to YOU, other peoples' opinions don't really matter on this. There's no right or wrong here
Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alex Rose/OTS mentioned to me at ircha that he did something like that, but now I can't remember if he said expo or pitch curve.

I'm curious to try but haven't yet. It should help with on-center precision but I wonder if the non-linear curve/expo will feel weird on stuff like tic-tocs where you're going between positive and negative.

I guess like many things you just have to try it and see what you like.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrataco View Post
Alex Rose/OTS mentioned to me at ircha that he did something like that, but now I can't remember if he said expo or pitch curve.

I'm curious to try but haven't yet. It should help with on-center precision but I wonder if the non-linear curve/expo will feel weird on stuff like tic-tocs where you're going between positive and negative.

I guess like many things you just have to try it and see what you like.
I use it and see it as a great setup secret. It widens the sweet spot for perfect clean stops with no bounce. Which requires a lot of feel and skill. It also minimizes error on nailing zero pitch.

I run 13.5 pitch and it has zero impact on pop. 10% pitch expo.

Of course I screw up lots of stops still. But I saw a lot of improvement when I played with it.

RCHN5 Protos Leggero (3 min 31 sec)
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in