Did I misunderstand something? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > EZNOV

EZNOV EZNOV Vendor Sponsored Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Did I misunderstand something?

Hello everyone.

So I haven't flown my helicopter in at least 6-7 years now, and the last time I was on the forum was about 4 years ago

I'll start with the short question/version: I fly with a Futaba 7C transmitter and I have a R617FS receiver (it came with the radio) but I can't get the Neuron working.

Does the Neuron require the use of an SBUS receiver?

Now the long version:

Last time I flew my bird (an HK-450GT) it took a dirt nap when a tail rotor set screw came loose. I bent the tail boom and messed up the flybar.

I took that as an opportunity to re-build the bird as an FBL setup. I did a bunch of research on how to do this DIY (I was on a strict budget and enjoy mechanical assembly work) and bought the necessary HobbyKing FBL head parts. I also bought a Tarot ZYX FBL gyro.

Shortly after getting all the parts, I began the last couple years of my Mechanical Engineering degree coursework. The project got shelved.

Well, I'm now 3 years out of college and living in an apartment and getting stir crazy, so I figured I would start working on the helicopter again.

The first thing I realized is how much I forgot about...basically everything. Transmitter setup, receiver wiring. Yeah, I'm starting at square one again it seems. I also took a good look at the parts I had and decided messing with the ZYX probably wasn't a good idea.

So I did some research on FBL gyros and with a budget price-point in mind I decided to buy a Neuron ($125 was an easier pill to swallow instead of $200+).

Anyway, I'm tempted to ask "just how screwed am I with this gyro" but instead I'll ask "how bad of a learning/setup curve am I in for now"?

I don't want to buy a new transmitter (again, for budget reasons) and I suspect the 7C will still work, I just might need a new receiver with SBUS support.

So folks, what do you think?

BTW, it feels good to be back on the forums. I remember the community here being helpful and friendly. I always appreciated that.
MadMechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, you'll need an SBUS or PPM receiver.
The_crack_fox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you Crack Fox for confirming that.

So, in your opinion, how difficult/tricky is this gyro to setup for the first time?

I've been trying to read through the various threads on this gyro and the opinions are mixed, but most people seem to agree that due to lack of adequate documentation on the part of the manufacturer this gyro is a bit tricky/confusing to setup.

But the flip side of that seems to be once it is setup and working, it works well.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is very easy to set up. Getting it tuned is the part that is a bit more difficult than once of the more mainstream units. The out of the box settings (gains) need a bit of tinkering.
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you give me an idea or recommended gains setup for a novice?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMechanic View Post
Can you give me an idea or recommended gains setup for a novice?
The out of box settings will get you up and flying, the rest is really based on your actual heli and components. Its not going to fall out of the sky or anything but you'll probably have a bit of tail wag and the head might be a little mushy.
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, if it gets me in the air, that's what I'm after right now.

My components are a mixed bag of cheap stuff and decent stuff. This gyro is probably the nicest part on my helicopter.

The servos are Savox:

Cyclic - SAVSH0263MG

Tail - SAVSH0264MG

Brushless motor is a Leopard.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I struggled with mine initially. Clunky pc app and basically zero documentation made it very difficult. Its worth persevering though as it does fly really well.

I ended up loosing mine in an fpv plane. If there's good feedback on the next update, I'll be buying another.
The_crack_fox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey everyone,

Thanks for telling me I need a serial output receiver. I did some research and bought an FrSKY TFR4-SB which is compatible with my Futaba 7C FASST and has an SBUS channel.

Just got the receiver bound to my 7C and connected the receiver to the Neuron via the SBUS port and boom, I've got green lights and control output through the Neuron.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm doing for transmitter programming and Neuron programming.

I've never programmed a transmitter for FBL so this will be quite a learning experience.

Any tips or advice I should know about setting up the 7C to work with an FBL gyro?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.