Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 470 Class Electric Helicopters

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tacomaster
  • 1 Post By jetblue2135

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking for some more "umph"?

Im running the stock motor/pinion with a HW 60a esc at 90% TC using 45c nanotech lipos. Batteries barely come down warm, ESC is noticeably warm and the motor is HOT after 4m flights. My lipos have 3.8-3.9 per cell upon landing. Im happy with the 470 performance but I feel like theres more to give here and the motor is the limiting factor. Coming down as hot as it is I cant imagine a up in pinion will do anything but kill the motor VERY fast. My gear mesh is perfect btw.

So, when are we going to see some motor upgrades? Ive looked but havent seen anything available yet.
heliadict1212 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
dva
Registered Users

I just upped my govener on my HW 60A controller to 93% from 89% and there was a a noticeable difference in power. Was running the stock 69mm tail blades with a slight vibration at 93%, so only tried the increased setting for about one minute. Just sanded my 71 mm Roto Tech tail blades this morning on a landing and they ran smother. I'm planning on trying 95% govener when I pick up another set of Royo Tech tail blades.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What are you running for pitch? Seems like awfully high voltage for that flight time.
Of course I have no idea about your pack size.

The align motor runs very hot.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2017, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dva View Post
I'm planning on trying 95% govener when I pick up another set of Royo Tech tail blades.
At 95% (or 93%) you aren't really governing because there isnt enough head room to take the increase in torque required when you add pitch, so RPM will bog down under load. As a rule of thumb 85% is about as high as you can go and still have the governor maintain constant headspeed
Old 09-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Run 100 headspeed. Allen Szabo does on this bird. I do and I sure don't need more oomph and it doesn't bog.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
Run 100 headspeed. Allen Szabo does on this bird. I do and I sure don't need more oomph and it doesn't bog.
It has to bog to some extent if you run 100%. It's like driving a car with your foot to the floor, you will always loose some speed when you come to a hill because you have no more throttle available.

But for sure with 100% throttle the RPM will always be as high as it can be, but it wont be constant.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

what are you calling hot? hit it with a temp gauge and its 170 or under itll be fine lol. this thing is light and at 90+ percent throttle should be a rocket ship.
Thickfog likes this.
tacomaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
It has to bog to some extent if you run 100%. It's like driving a car with your foot to the floor, you will always loose some speed when you come to a hill because you have no more throttle available.

But for sure with 100% throttle the RPM will always be as high as it can be, but it wont be constant.
+1

The motor bogs easily on hard collective funnels and fast tic-tocs at 95% - 100% flat throttle. Any really hard collective maneuvers will bog the motor. I'm running Pulse 1800mAh 45C batts. 80% - 85% governed will not give enough tail authority for hard 3D with the stock tail servo due to the relatively low tail ratio. 90% head-speed is a minimum for acceptable tail behavior. As the battery sags during the flight, the tail behavior worsens, particularly during hard stops.

I run the RotorTech 71mm blades as they're perfectly balanced with the longer tail-shaft.

Enterprise Hobby indicated that Szabo is using RevoMIX. I haven't yet tried that setting as all of BeastX's guidance indicates that RevoMIX is meant as a last-ditch measure when everything else fails. I'll be likely trying an MKS HV93i next.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also. Oomph.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using a 100% throttle curve....I don't bother with govs. No lack of power. I have an extra Xnova 2820-1860kv from my X3 that I'm tempted to try on the 470 that has gobs of power..... but not needed.
Thickfog likes this.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliadict1212 View Post
Im running the stock motor/pinion with a HW 60a esc at 90% TC using 45c nanotech lipos. Batteries barely come down warm, ESC is noticeably warm and the motor is HOT after 4m flights. My lipos have 3.8-3.9 per cell upon landing. Im happy with the 470 performance but I feel like theres more to give here and the motor is the limiting factor. Coming down as hot as it is I cant imagine a up in pinion will do anything but kill the motor VERY fast. My gear mesh is perfect btw.

So, when are we going to see some motor upgrades? Ive looked but havent seen anything available yet.
The motor may feel very hot to the touch but test it with an infra red thermometer and it will be only like 40 degrees Celsius. I thought mine was running hot, on a hot day, when I touched it. I bought an infra red thermometer and it only indicated 40 degrees Celsius lol.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaster View Post
what are you calling hot? hit it with a temp gauge and its 170 or under itll be fine lol. this thing is light and at 90+ percent throttle should be a rocket ship.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747 View Post
The motor may feel very hot to the touch but test it with an infra red thermometer and it will be only like 40 degrees Celsius. I thought mine was running hot, on a hot day, when I touched it. I bought an infra red thermometer and it only indicated 40 degrees Celsius lol.
Also +1

Your fingers are a terrible way to test temperature. Anything above 140 degrees is just "ow that's hot". You won't feel the difference from 140 to 180. You might feel 200, but only because your skin will be sizzling

Motors don't have a problem with heat. They can be comfortably run at 200F with zero issues.

OP, I don't know what FBL you are running but if it has "pitch boost" or "pitch pump" function, try that. It can add oomph without adding too much load overall.
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was messing around yesterday giving her full punch outs. Wow. I think the op has his pitch set incorrectly or something else wrong (bad battery's, cheaper batteries, low c batteries, poor solder joints, incorrect esc settings, not running appropriate rpm, etc). Not sure. This thing takes off like a rocket.

Last edited by Thickfog; 09-24-2017 at 01:49 PM..
Old 09-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1. On mine, do a pitch pump and it instantly disappears vertically like a UFO. Lots of power. I am using mini Brain 2 FBL governor (3000 rpm head speed), hobbywing 50 Amp Platinum V3 esc and the Align stock motor.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited by denis747; 09-24-2017 at 04:48 PM..
denis747 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, this thing is by far my fastest heli. She moves......!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in