DS-16 My Experience - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 04:44 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
Hey Andrew,

That sounds very tempting. Seems like your having a good time. Still have to get up there one of these days.

I looked over my logs for the 3 flights. I don't have any real experience reading these but most look to be very short spikes or dropouts if you will. I was logging at 20hz and it appears the voltage drops are around 2/10ths of a second when they happen. On average two or three times a flight. Voltage doesn't go to zero just down significantly. I wonder if it is just noise in the system? The RPM signal occasionally spikes down as well but again only for a fraction of a second so it has to be something in the data capture algorithm right? On the last flight I got a bunch, like a hundred, GOV engage/disengage cycles that also lasted only a fraction of a second per instance. This was reminiscent of the issues I was having last fall on spektrum satellites when I had a sat wire going bad. Unrelated but annoying.
Brain2 has a filter for the rpm signal, but the filter is bypassed for the log to help identify bad/noisy rpm signals. In your case the signal is so bad the filter even fails and the gov shuts off and then comes back. Check the rpm cable, and make sure it doesn't route a long ways with other wires.

Voltage drop outs doesn't sound good. This isn't normal and not expected.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've used toroid rings on the RPM wire to minimize/eliminate RPM noisy signal. The Spirit units log RPM noisy signals, and I've needed almost maximum "RPM noise filter" on the Spirit to minimize/eliminate RPM signal noise. With the toroid ring I was able to eliminate RPM signal noise even when setting the Spirit "RPM signal filter" to minimum value. The ESCs in question were the Jeti Mezon (with RPM out wire) and the HobbyWing V4's. For CC ESC's, make sure not to remove the toroid ring.
curmudgeon is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting you mentioned that, because I was experiencing issues with governor in nitro dropping out. I wonder if that is the problem??? I had trouble seeing the trigger using the internal program. Next time I decide to break out the spirit, I might look at it again.
sheva is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I had been using sounds on event to call out Speed 1, 2, 3, auto-rotate etc. I had also been setting the flight modes to call these things out. This created an overlapping sound event which manifested when I was in AR/Throttle hold and toggled the flight mode switch it was still announcing Speed 1,2,3 etc. This creates confusion because the flight mode is not changing nevertheless the sound on event is being triggered off the switch. Eliminating the sound on event duplicates caused this to go away so now the only time I hear Speed 1, 2, or 3 is when I come out of AR/Throttle hold.

I know this seems dumb, still it was left over from my original work with the DS-16 back in June.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default .JSN templates

I'd love to see anyone's template heli .jsn file for using the Jeti TX's with the Brain flight controllers, especially for glow helis.

I've been working on creating my own but I suspect some of the things I'm doing are not the best thought out techniques given my inexperience with the radio.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Throttle cut, throttle idle or Auto-rotate?

Anyone with thoughts on the best way to use these 3 functions?

So far I've been using the auto-rotate flight mode that the heli template sets up.

I've also been using the throttle cut on a locking switch D to fail safe the helicopter preventing unwanted spool ups in case I bump the AR/TH switch.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has found a reason to use the throttle idle setting under "Other Model Options" as a kind of throttle hold mode or in place of the flight mode autorotate? Seems redundant but perhaps it might be of benefit to fixed wing pilots as a safety?
Old 11-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SETUP function curve missing? Solved.

I've been fighting with a missing SETUP function curve. The first model I setup a few months ago has channel 7 being used for Brain setup selection. I seem to be unable to get a curve assigned to channel 7 on my second model that I'm setting up. I created both setup and rescue functions assigned switch E/channel 7 and switch G/channel 8 respectfully but there is no option under servo setup to assign channel 7 to SETUP.

I ended up deleting the SETUP function curve and recreating it. This allowed me to then use channel 7 for the function. The only thing I can think is that a line of code got corrupted? Anyway it works now.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has found a reason to use the throttle idle setting under "Other Model Options" as a kind of throttle hold mode or in place of the flight mode autorotate? Seems redundant but perhaps it might be of benefit to fixed wing pilots as a safety?
Yup, I use that, for several reasons.

Firstly I'm a big believer in having two throttle cut switches, so you can't accidentally knock one and have a model start. I don't have a physical locking switch, so having throttle hold and throttle cut works great.

I also have a sprung collective, and many of my models have no normal curve, all the flight modes are idle up. Both of which give a good reason to have two switches to disable the motor for safety.

On my nitros the two switches serve two separate functions. My throttle hold switch keeps the engine at idle (and is a slightly higher idle if triggered in IU1 or IU2). On the nitro throttle hold isn't a flight mode. The throttle cut switch is the only one which actually kills the engine.

Finally, on my models where throttle hold is a flight mode, if I want to adjust dual rates, expo, curves, or any other flight mode specific function, the throttle cut function allows me to do this safely. That prevents the motor starting while I'm in my Idle Up 2 flight mode, allowing me to tweak my rates and expo safely.
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK thanks. Interesting. I'll have to think about that one.

Next. Glow igniter. I was able to get the reciever's pin 5 output remapped to channel 16. When I assign channel 16 to the setup function it toggles the glow plug on and off so I know I'm on the right track.

Question: How do I assign channel 16 to the switch that controls AR mode so it will light there for starting?

The mindset required to understand this radio is much like the sea change required going from the Boeing to the Airbus. A completely different approach to the problem that works but bewilders those with experience on different products
Old 11-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Getting glow to work

Ok I think I got it.

In order to get the RX to drive a glow plug you must do the following:

1) Go into Model, device explorer, Receiver outputs. Re-assign the output pin on the receiver to the channel you want to use for the glow plug. I used channel 16.

2) Go into Model, Functions Assignment and ADD a function labeled GLOW that is controlled by the switch used for AR/TH.

3) Go into Model, Servo Assignment and select the channel you want to use and chose GLOW function to activate it.

4) You may need to reverse the Function glow in order to get the glow to light at the appropriate switch point.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Timer Driven by RPM.

I've also been working on getting my flight timer to operate as a function of head speed.

I went into Advanced Properties, Telemetry Controls.

I set up MX1 using Brain:Main Rotor RPM as the sensor and condition X > 1100.

I then set up a timer with an initial value of 7:30 and a target of 0:0 using switch Mx1.

My thought is this will possibly be a more accurate flight timer for glow engines that will only run when the engine is making significant power. I haven't flown it yet so not sure if it works.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the throttle cut feature (I fly electrics) under the other model options as a secondary throttle hold/safety. You can also have a third throttle safety totally independent of a switch by hitting the menu button, on the main screen you can lock out the throttle channel also.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2017, 03:35 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

For the timer on my nitros I make use of the two switches I mentioned earlier.

Throttle Cut kills the engine, nice and simple after you land.

Throttle Hold keeps the engine at idle. I always have this engaged when starting so there's zero risk of hot start, and I can safely carry the model up to the flight line.

A couple of nice touches are that the idle is higher in my Idle up flight modes meaning I can practise autorotations and have the engine recover rpm more quickly if I need to abort.

I also have a trim on the throttle channel, set to only adjust the lower throttle endpoint. This is a lovely touch from Jeti and allows me to add a click or two of trim anytime I need it to start the engine, perfect when the weather changes. It adjusts the value used by throttle hold and the sticks so I can't ever accidentally kill the engine, and since it only applies to the bottom limit there's no risk of the servo driving too far at max throttle.

Finally I have my timer activated by my throttle hold switch. I can start the heli, get it idling nicely, carry it to the flight line, but the timer won't start until I release throttle hold and actually get in the air.

And when I practice autorotations the timer pauses during the auto. You get some crazy long flights that way :-D
Old 11-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again MYXIPLX,

Well I got a couple flights in this afternoon. Glow as a function of AR works. The timer as a function of low RPM works. Temps from the MT 300 EX temp sensor works, One loop on the head, one on the exhaust. Max temps of around 90C/194F.

For now I'm just using the autorotate flight mode the heli template sets up and not the throttle idle under "other" model options. Of course I'm also using throttle cut on the locking switch to shut down the engine. For starting I just put the model in AR and the glow lights. I've never operated the model in this way before. In the past I always left setup one with a normal throttle curve and the governor disabled. This gave me the capability to have full control over the carb barrel for those times when the engine was being reluctant to start, usually only on the first flight of the day. I've always thought a pilot should have unrestricted access to this for starting but I know others have done it this, new to me, way and had decent luck. I had to fiddle with the AR curve while starting at first to get a reliable idle but it worked fine after that. I may see about tying a control/trim to the low idle stop to make life easier going forward.

I also need to set up a couple of alarms for low RX voltage and cylinder head temp since I now have that info available.

Happy to have the nitro flying on the Jeti for now. Heli flew well and I even got a successful unplanned auto in when I managed to run it out of fuel.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:24 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Happy to have the nitro flying on the Jeti for now. Heli flew well and I even got a successful unplanned auto in when I managed to run it out of fuel.
Heh, always a sign you're having fun in the air, sounds to me like the new radio is working out just fine :-D
Old 11-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good thread, im recently contemplating one of these
rscott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.