Velos 880 Controllable Cargo Hook - Page 5 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Velos Rotors > VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter

VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter VelosUAV Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Full Dress Rehearsal

Trying to cover all the bases and not leave anything to chance I worked out the COG for house washing with the spray wand.
I'll be up between the 20 and 40 foot level.
This will require the Velos to fly 20 to 40 feet of supply hose filled with cleaning solution.
I originally thought I wouldn't be able to fly my canopy thinking I would be nose heavy in flight with the system operating.
I find out that in doing some COG experiments on the ground that with the supply hose filled with water and no canopy, the Velos is actually tail heavy so I find out I can fly the canopy to offset the tail being heavy. Depending upon how many feet of supply hose is lifted, the COG will change accordingly.

The really cool part is I have enough fore and aft adjustment on the batteries to offset the supply hose, no matter what length I'll be flying, which will hang down aft of the normal COG on the Velos.

Thank you Aris for the great battery installation design.

I made the supply hose attach to the airframe about 10 inches aft of COG thinking I would need that weight to offset the spray boom and supporting rack weight in front...which I did.
So after experimenting on the ground, knowing the weight of the supply hose filled with water, I can set my battery position to correctly set the COG for the 20-30 foot level or set the battery position for the 40 foot level.
How cool is that, nothing like flying with an accurate COG with a variety of loads. The SK720BE won't have to work as hard to fly the beast and neither will I.

So this afternoon I took the Velos out for another test flight. This time with the canopy installed and with a length of supply hose to simulate that weight in flight...and yes I did fill the hose with water to make it an accurate lift.

The flight itself went really well. The Velos is ready, I still need a little more practice. I never thought 5 minutes of flight could last so long until I started this project. Now before the timer sounds I am wishing for it to end so I can rest and get a drink of water.
I find I'll be able to cover a lot of wall space with spray in the 5 minutes so that is no longer a concern.
Practice...Practice...Practice will get me relaxed and comfortable with the new flight parameters.

AUW of the Velos 880 with the spray boom assembly and supply hose filled with water for a 30 foot hover is 23.6 pounds increasing slightly for the 40 foot hover which for the big Velos is a simple lift and is well below the max weight limit.

The photos below are from todays only flight.
You can see in the first photo that the water filled supply hose is coiled up in its aft position which puts that weight in the correct location for an actual spray mission.
COG was perfect as I had the correct battery position so the Velos rose perfectly flat into its initial hover.

Was a little breezy today as well but didn't affect the hover much at all.

Check out the photos...its looking really cool and I can see this is very doable for the Velos. I am sure I will find out more as I go along but that's part of the fun.
Not like I can pick up a book on how to spray clean a house with a Velos 880.

Notice the very tall trees around the house...now you know why I came up with the rope deployment swing arm for removal of those dead limbs that are well out of reach by any other means.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos 880 Spray Boom Tesy Flight 1.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	718269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos 880 Spray Boom Tesy Flight 2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	718270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos 880 Spray Boom Tesy Flight 3.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	718271  

Last edited by A VIKING; 08-06-2017 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling....again.
A VIKING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow
You really have tooken this so far
I am amazed at all of this
Keep up the good work
Good Job man
A VIKING likes this.
Falung_69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you my friend!

Its has been a journey and continues to be so. Lots of fun creating something completely different.

Aris passed along some great Skookum FBL settings for operating as a UAV which really helped out a lot.
That combined with a suggestion from LMH, another Heli Freaker to try out the "always on" self leveling feature in the SK.
Both combined into a smooth stabile hands free hover which is easier for me to control while flying in a confined space, even with a wind. It fly's more like a quad now but with all the 6' 3" single rotor C/P helicopter benefits.

It just gets better and better.

Last edited by A VIKING; 08-08-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Old 08-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First Spray Boom Operational Flight

The spray boom works really well.

For those seeing this for the first time let me tell the background.
My house sits on a side hill which makes the sides and back of the house 30 to 40 feet tall. It is very difficult and dangerous to get cleaning solution up to that level.
Pressure washers or high pressure garden hoses can get up to that level but in spraying cleaning solution the mixture is diluted so much to spray that it does little to actually clean.
I need to spray full strength cleaning solution at that level to get the job done.

So the Velos with its lifting capacity, stability and redundancy was used to mount a spray boom which is attached to a supply tank, 40 psi pump, 12 volt battery to power the pump and a foot activated switch to allow me to turn the pump on and off with my foot.

It all works very well. I get usable spray up to 12 feet from the tip of the spray nozzle so real close hover distances to the wall are not needed.

Best part beside making cleaning the exterior walls fun is that I don't get soaked with cleaning solution now that I don't have to stand at the base of the wall to do the job.

A little more practice to get a good technique and I'll be ready for some serious cleaning.
To give you a sense of scale and distance, the tip of the spray nozzle to the tip of the tail rotor is 9 feet.

This arrangement will also be used to spray insecticide at the high levels to rid my house of insects like spiders.
They used to thumb their noses at me but now they better vacate before its too late.

Velos 880 Spray Boom First Flight (5 min 21 sec)

Last edited by A VIKING; 08-21-2017 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: wording
Old 08-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW, this is the first time a Velos 880 helicopter is used for an application like that!
Alan, congratulations for turning your idea into reality and present it to us all in such a nice way. That is a quite complex system and you made it look so easy and straight forward.
If it works that good with the first try, imagine how good and effective it can be with a bit more tuning and testing.
Perhaps an FPV camera could make it even easier in use.
A VIKING likes this.
Velos Rotors is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Aris!

I can easily see a commercial application for this. And as you say a little tweaking and tuning could really produce a great system and a safe alternative to cleaning walls above the 30 foot level.
Ladders are clumsy and dangerous allowing limited cleaning only in the area of the ladder. Alternatives such as a man lift get expensive plus require level ground to be safe. And then there is the space required to set up the ground equipment and the damage the ground equipment does to ones grass, bushes and flower bed around the home.
How do I know this, its because I have tried everything and always wished for an alternative.
After doing the long line experiments and finding out how much weight the Velos 880 is capable of flying the light bulbs started flashing in my head about possible work it could do for me.

I can see in my imagination the supply tank mounted in the back of my pickup arriving at a shopping center with a high and long elevation to the store fronts.
The shopping center has a stucco finish with a lot of stains flowing down from the top edge of the roof line.

It's Sunday so the shopping center is closed early morning.
I arrive with my Wife, Velos and pickup truck.
I launch the Velos and start spraying the stains and while I fly along the store fronts, my wife slowly moves the truck with the supply tank forward matching my progress.

Because I would be setup for long flights, I could continuously clean for an extended time between landings covering a lot of area.

I can see it in my minds eye, all and it works.

The FPV would be very helpful at the really high elevations where you would start to lose depth perception...and would be good to have when removing high tree limbs with the rope deployment system.

I'll continue to dream and work at other possibilities.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very cool!
A VIKING likes this.
* G700c IKON * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My Velos Got A New Pair of Shoes

The OEM carbon fiber skid plates are awesome and well designed in a very artistic way following the lines of the canopy.
But when you go to work, you don't wear your best foot wear, you put on work boots.

So since I am turning my Velos 880 into a working class machine I designed a super strong aluminum tubing landing gear to allow me to get at everything under the belly easier.
Weight comparison is lighter than the OEM skid plates so that is a bonus.

Whenever its not working I can always put on the good shoes for showing off.

Here are a few photos of the tube gear. I need to make a couple tweaks with the swing arm but they work very well as they are a little taller than the OEM gear.

Plan a whole lot of house washing this week end so I should have some more video and photos of the process.
I found a product, that if it performs well is perfect for application with my Velos. Very excited about it, time will tell.

So here is a couple photos of the new shoes.

In my haste to install the new gear I didn't look at the "foot print" until these photos. I need to adjust the opposite side gear leg in the photo below so the fore ground skid tube sits flat footed. This side has its toe up in the air. I want tail clearance so the opposite side adjustment will give me a flat foot print on both skids and raise the tail a little more.

The first set of tube gear I bent up was a singe piece in the shape of a "J". It was plenty strong but terribly springy which would have created all sorts of ground ops dangers so I redesigned the tube to the shape of a "P" which added the front down tube terminating at and attaching to the skid tube to close off the open end of the original "J" which made the gear ridged.

Had my first request to use the Velos for spraying.
A friend of mine asked if I could spray insecticide on one of his ornamental trees in his yard. He say he does the best he can from the ground but can only reach half of the tree. The top half always get decimated by the bugs so he sees the Velos as a way to combat his infestation...and so it begins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7694.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	720601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos Tube Landing Gear.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	720616  

Last edited by A VIKING; 08-26-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Old 08-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ready for Prime Time

Posting a couple photos during work breaks.
Here is the final setup of the new aluminum tube landing gear and spray boom.
You can see the gear now has square footing with both skid tubes perfectly flat on the ground.
The spray boom itself has good ground clearance as does the tail rotor so at this point I am very happy with the results and are ready for some serious spraying.

I did notice that to spray spiders effectively with the insecticide I will have to bend the tip of my spray nozzle up to allow easy spraying under the soffit of the roof overhang.
This can be done easily as the tube passing through the outer aluminum tubing is flexible PVC so I can bend it where it comes out of the aluminum tubing. Just don't know how many times it can be bent.
I may have to redesign the tip end to include a flexible tube to allow easy aiming of the spray.
Its just one steady evolution as I go...lots of fun imagineering the assembly.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Adjusted Gear 1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	720651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjusted Gear 2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	720652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ajusted Gear 3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	720653  

Last edited by A VIKING; 08-27-2017 at 04:47 AM..
Old 08-27-2017, 04:39 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Safety First

Given the Velos 880 is so redundant in its ability to continue the mission with an inoperable system (that's the only reason I feel comfortable doing this) I also needed to consider safety issues generated by the spray system itself.

One area of my concern was all that rubber hose dangling from the Velos.
What happens if I tangle the hose on something and can't continue to fly freely?
You should always have focused situational awareness with the placement of the Velos and supply hose when doing something like this but as they say...sh*t happens.

If you notice in the photo above there is a slip connection with a short length of hose just behind the spray boom.
That slip joint is the safety latch that will allow my escape. If the hose gets tangled, one sharp collective movement will unplug the hose allowing me to fly away and land safely.
With the slip joint located close to the Velos, I eliminate the possible snapping back of the rubber hose up and into the main rotor when it pops free.

Just like flying at the RC field one should have a spotter keeping watch for potential issues. Cleaning or applying insecticide on a house in the neighborhood will generate a lot of kids to watch the flight.
While there are there, I could always sell them ice cream.

With safety being a needed concern, I will be redesigning the arrangement of a foot switch to turn the pump on and off.
When flying I have a tendency to walk away from the switch which ends up with me feeling around with my foot to relocate it.
Flying in close proximity to a home with the BIG Velos does not allow one to look away from the model to find the foot switch.
Because of this I will be looking for a way to move the pump switch to my TX to allow simple finger operation without having to look down.

This will also allow quicker "on" and "off" of the pump which will help save money...insecticide and the cleaning solution are expensive so flying around with the pump on and not applying the solution to the home would spraying money away into thin air.

That's also the beauty of applying liquid cleaning solution with the Velos. It takes very little spray to get the job done.
Trying to spray clean 30 to 40 feet up on a wall from the ground with a garden hose takes a lot in pump volume in gallons per minute and pressure.
So you can reach the height with such a system but the waste of the extra fluid necessary to get it there is just that, a waste of fluid in both water and cleaning solution or insecticide.

And in moving that amount of fluid up to the higher levels, the shear volume and pressure of the fluid when it reaches the wall will always push water into areas you don't want. If you have marginal sealing around your windows, you will find those leaks...which is never a good day.

With the smaller volume of fluid being directed at the wall, especially around windows, by the Velos spray boom, fluid intrusion under siding and into window frames should not occur.

Any thoughts out there? Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A Couple Enhancements

For spraying insecticide I didn't need the large tank. Insecticide comes in smaller containers so I converted a 5 gallon pail into my supply tank.
It also works well with cleaning solution and is much simpler to move around.

The original foot switch to turn the pump on and off was replaced by a remote switch you would use in your home to turn a light on and off from a distance.
The switch is small so I am able to Velcro it to the TX under the palm of my hand for easy actuation.
I can just use a slight pressure to allow quick "on" or "off" pump control or fully push the switch to latch the switch in either the "off" of "on" position.

The momentary switch control aids in saving insecticide in that you don't spay until you are in position and only spray what's necessary for good coverage, no more, no less.

All the photos will have to wait, the site won't allow me to load them again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Pump Switch.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	720897  
Old 08-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pitch Adjustable Spray Tip

The issue:

Spraying the vertical sides of a house one must attain a level hover to hold position. This does well for moving up and down the wall or side to side to cover the wall but does not allow for any adjustment of the spray tip to get up under a roof overhang or down in an area where the Velos can't fly because of physical size.

My fix:

The concept is to move the spray tip vertically up and down by servo control in relation to the level spray boom and Velos.
I created a push pull carbon fiber tube, much in the same way as a tail rotor control tube.

I have my cargo hook servo repositioned at the back of the spray tube attached to the push pull tube for the spray tip.
At the spray tip, the carbon fiber push pull tube is connected to a control horn.

The control horn will be firmly attached to the flexible rubber hose that connects the inner PVC tube which carries the fluid to the black plastic spray wand.
The rubber hose is very flexible so the servo should have no trouble pushing and pulling it into its new position.

The servo is controlled by a three position switch on my TX which will give the spray tip the straight, up and down position.

Should do the job and allow more functionality of the spray boom.

Check out the photos:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pitch Adjustable Spray Tip 1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	721117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitch Adjustable Spray Tip 2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	721118  
Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Improvements of the Spray Boom

Just a short video concerning the improvements I have made to the original spray boom making it more functional in different spray situations.

Waiting on weather to break this week end to shoot more video of the system in flight and in use.
...too much fun.

Velos 880 Spray Boom Modifications (1 min 48 sec)

Last edited by A VIKING; 09-01-2017 at 03:29 PM..
Old 09-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

No video this week, just did some practice flying.

The latest improvement this week end came from my wife and her observation.
She said "can't you just remove the spray boom from the helicopter and use it as a hand held sprayer for the low surfaces then when you can't get the cleaning solution any higher on the wall, re-mount the spray boom back in the Velos and finish the high areas".
It's like she hit me in the side of my head with a 2X4.

What a brilliant idea, I can use the same pump and supply tank and just hand hold the spray wand without any other additional spray system for the lower wall area. Less stuff to drag around the work site...I like it.

So this morning I made modifications to the spray boom to make it quick disconnect.
It was real complicated, I just removed the nylon cable ties I had securing the spray boom to the rack and replaced them with Velcro straps.
That's it...real complicated.
I also have to disconnect the servo ball from the spray tip control tube but that takes all of 5 seconds to do.
So now I can show up with only my Velos with spray boom, supply tank, battery and pump and I am ready to spray an entire house, bottom to top...no ladders or massive amounts of water to turn the yard into a mud pit or leak through the window frames.

Last edited by A VIKING; 09-05-2017 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Added "cleaning" to solution.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

This project is quickly becoming a very serious business.
Congrats for your efforts!

Carlos
A VIKING likes this.
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default More on the Story

Did another video showing what I expect the working spray system to be.
The spray boom works very well on or off the Velos.
The next improvement to the system will be a "position hold" auto pilot.
That would be the "cherry on top" for this project. Then it will be ready to go to work.

Sorry about using some old video along with some new.
New video will be taken with the new auto pilot in command.
Stay tuned.

Velos 880 A VIKING Spray System (7 min 12 sec)
Old 09-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Taking the Leap into UAV

OK...there's no turning back now.
I am falling head first into UAV operations converting my Velos 880 from the much appreciated Skookum 720BE to the Skookum 900UAV controller and added a Futaba T14SG transmitter to complete the system.

Looking forward to this new world of UAV.
Let the "where am I going to put all this stuff in the airframe" begin...should be a blast!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7772.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	724092  
Old 10-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

The final UAV component location in the airframe has been decided on.
Now comes the wiring. I had more room in the Velos 880 than I thought which is good, more room for more stuff.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Progress toward being a full on UAV!

OK...before everyone gets fired up about the 3 bladed head on my 880...its being tested by me as a UAV project and is not available as a hobby item.

I'll be testing out low head speeds of 1400,1500 and 1600 RPM for my house/store front aerial cleaning system with the 880.
I have replaced the motor pinions with 18 tooth pinions which should allow my motors to sing along at their most efficient rotational speed which is also their smoothest RPM.

The other big change and probably the change that will have the most positive impact on what I am trying to do is the addition of the Skookum 900 UAV controller.

The attached photos show it's installation.
The telemetry radio is mounted vertically up front taking the position of where the forward gyro/receiver mounting plate would be.
That gyro/receiver mount was moved to the back with a custom mounting plate for the Skookum 900 controller.
Below the controller is the Futaba R7008SB receiver connected by S-Bus to the Skookum.

Back on the boom is the GPS receiver and below it is the status LED for the system for easy viewing in flight.
The GPS mount was made by cutting the bottom off my blade holder for blade folding. Worked perfect and yes it fit the boom perfectly.
Double sided 3M tape between the blade holder and boom supply rotational security along with a tie-wrap.

Everything has been ground tested and found to be functional.
You couldn't wipe the grin off my face the first time I saw the PFD horizontal situation indicator on my lap top show attitude changes of the 880 as I moved it around manually...what a kick that is!

Ground station setup and test is complete, compass swing was completed so all that is left is to do some check flights...which I would have already done but my left motor ESC decided it was time to stop initializing and left me with a single motor 880...yeah it will fly single motor but I'll wait it out for the new ESC.

In my open yard I see 18 of 20 satellites being used by the GPS.
Given the system will be used by me in washing structures in position hold mode, this is important.
In moving the Velos to the base of a 30 foot wall like it would be during the spray operation I still have 14 satellites being used by the Skookum and that number will only increase once I fly up high to do the spraying so I believe the position hold function of the flight controller will be a huge benefit to me...flight time will tell.

New video will be taken as well for your entertainment and thought, should be very different from my hand flying sessions in the first videos.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7833.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	726287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7838.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	726288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7816.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	726289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7818.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	726290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7823.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	726291  

Name:	IMG_7827.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	726292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7829.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	726293  

Last edited by A VIKING; 10-17-2017 at 02:03 AM..
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love the spayer set up and the skids. Very nice. I didn't know the 3 blade head was available.
Velos 880/Sab Urukay, KSE, Carbon Speed/Mikado Uvular/RCA Blackshark/Chaos 500 Evo, 550, 600, 700/Trex 500, 600, 600 Pro, 700/Roban 470 Cobra, 700 Apache, Cobra, 429, Jayhawk, 800 Airwolf/TFM 800 Blue Thunder, Seahawk, Jayhawk/ DX8 DX18QQ
treotraveler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.