150x rudder turn heli drifts backwards - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 150 Class Electric Helicopters

150 Class Electric Helicopters 150 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 150x rudder turn heli drifts backwards

I am relatively new to helis but fly good with my trex 500 and my oxy3. Mild aerobatics and inverted hovering. The Trex 150x is killing me. I detuned it so it would be a little slower. When I turn using the rudder it turns but has a
STRONG backwards drift. What would cause this? I have no idea where to start with fixing this. Broke some servo gears with my flight today so have to wait on some parts to come in before I can fly some more, but was hoping someone would have some suggestions to what I need to do to correct this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could be that your servo gears were already damaged before the flight today? Otherwise, I'd would try increasing cyclic gain. Can you post your GRS config file? I can take a look on it and see if I find something weird...
Goblin 500
joanpeca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2017, 03:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey buddy.

This pirouetting drift can be caused by the centre of gravity being out on a heli, it's know the T150 can be tail heavy and so this makes it harder for the FBL controller to maintain position during a piro.

It might be worth checking the model hangs level and if not adding weight to the nose usually to counter balance the tail motor and trying it again to rule it out.

Another idea, is your tail perpendicular to the main frame? I've not known it to be a problem as the tail boom self aligns, but if the tail is pointing up or down slightly, the yaw thrust could push the tail up or down depending on which way it's angled and effect the models ability to stay level.

Ian Contessa
Old 10-06-2017, 06:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A unleveled swash may cause severe drift during pyro...
johnniechang is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniechang View Post
+1.. that was the first thing that came to my mind. The FBL controller usually does a good job of compensating for an out of level swash while hovering but it show up in pirouettes and other manoeuvres..
The CG issue that Ian mentioned is also worth ruling out but as all T150's are very tail heavy this alone might not be the full explanation.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I will check all these issues as soon as I have a chance
Old 10-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniechang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
+1.. that was the first thing that came to my mind. The FBL controller usually does a good job of compensating for an out of level swash while hovering but it show up in pirouettes and other manoeuvres..
The CG issue that Ian mentioned is also worth ruling out but as all T150's are very tail heavy this alone might not be the full explanation.
Hey Guys.

Good points, an unlevel swash plate would cause drift, but this will be evident even without commanding a pirouette.
So this leads us to another question, does the model hover as hands off as can be expected for an RC heli, or does it require constant pilot input (cyclic stick held a little off centre) to maintain position even when just hovering?
Zimmerdesignz hasn't said if the model is trimmed to keep level when not pirouetting, so if out of trim here that would be the answer.
We can only assume the model is trimmed when in a stationary hover.

Of course if the model is out of trim in a stationary hover, the FBL unit won't trim this out unless you are using a position hold feature (150X?) or GPS hold. It'll only compensate for outside forces causing a reaction on the models fuselage, outside of any position holding feature.

Scott keep us posted buddy on what you find.
On the side are you part of the Zimmerman exhaust guys?

Ian Contessa
Old 10-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hovers well in advanced mode. Can not even think about putting it in hold mode/recovery. If you do it strongly goes hard left and a little backward. But Advanced mode hovering is good.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerdesignz View Post
Hovers well in advanced mode. Can not even think about putting it in hold mode/recovery. If you do it strongly goes hard left and a little backward. But Advanced mode hovering is good.
Hey Buddy.

Ah good, so that helps visualise that the swashplate is setup level then, as if not the model wouldn't want to sit nice in the hover.
I'm guessing, not having flown a 150X yet with the added features, that advanced mode is without any training or stability aids? So there is no artifical help keeping the model level.

Interesting about the model wanting to deviate off it's current heading in hold/recovery mode, as I would assume it would lock into position where the pilot flicks the switch. This could point to a neutral setting problem. I'll have to skim over the setup of these modes to see if there is any calibration steps that need to be done to make them work effectively.

If you try some of the other ideas keep us posted.

Ian
Coolice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Servo gears will be here Tuesday so I will be able to report more back then. Some one asked if tail boom was straight and level or bent. It is straight.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still think it's worth checking the swash for level. A while back i'd had a servo arm off on my Trex 600 and carelessly put it back on the wrong spline making the swash miles out of level. Surprisingly the heli still hovered ok, no noticable drift, but when i did a piro the tail dropped and it was all over the place.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

SWASH PLATE. it had just enough lean backwards that it compensated when hovering but drift when turning with rudder. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerdesignz View Post
SWASH PLATE. it had just enough lean backwards that it compensated when hovering but drift when turning with rudder. Thanks for the help.
Awesome news, I'm glad to hear you've sorted it out.

It's interesting though, must have been so small you weren't seeing it while hovering.

Ian Contessa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.