Robert James Liguori - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Robert James Liguori

Hi all. I'm Robert. This seems like a nice group of people here. Wondering what the average age is. I'm 44 and I aim to be a talented RC heli sport pilot. I am a beginner, started flying this year with my Blade 200 S helicopters. I had a bunch of videos on YouTube, but just took down the channel as the material was a bit to corny. Kinda got good enough with the fixed pitch to go wind surfing and hovering without crashing (too much). So I took a leap of faith and jumped from beginner fixed pitch to advanced collective by buying myself a collective Oxy 3. I really do enjoy the Oxy 3... but have failed to get it off the ground. You can see my attempt on my Facebook channel. Anyway... I'm just learning that it's best to have modes tweaked for each phase of flight or flight maneuver. I still have a lot to learn but I think my greatest obstacle is the way I go about learning may be a little off. Need better disciple and better learning paths. This forum is great but I need to supplement it more like with the book I just bought by Paul Tradelius; the Basics of RC Helis - the ultimate guide to rotate flight. My biggest disappointment so far is not being able to find the time to get to the field. I imagine to get where I wish to be I should be flying a few days a week. I'm only flying a couple days a month, if that. I do have RealFlight, but it's not the same as fighting off the gnats as I joyously control my heli against the nice background of a solid white cloud or two. . Anyway, I'm glad to be here, Rich Knapp has taught me a lot and with the way he explains things, I gather it would have taken me months or years to pick the same information up without his help. I think he is a really nice and smart guy. I'm looking forward to the Oxy 4 being released but in the meantime I really won't to the the Oxy 3 off the ground. But I am still a bit overwhelmed at understand how and why things are configured. I imagine more flight time would help. I try to learn from coding and built a free head speed calculator on my website. Though the more I learn, the more questions I have. Thank you for having me as a member on your forum. -- Robert
Oxy 2-FE/3-255/TE, Blade 200 S (w/ Lynx upgrades)
gliesian66 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi and welcome!

I started with the previous version of the same heli, the Blade 200 SRX and I started on this hobby just a little bit earlier than you and I am one year behind your age. So it seems like we have a bit in common

Although I personally think you jumped too much from the 200 S to the Oxy 3 (well I am guilty of some similar big jump from the 200 SRX to the Blade 360 CFX) you can make it work.

The only downside with the Oxy 3 is that besides learning how to fly you will now have to learn how to setup the heli. I am glad you are getting help from Rich he is indeed an awesome guy.

I have no idea how your budget looks like but I would strongly recommend to shelf the Oxy 3 for a little while and get a Blade 230 S. That little heli will cost much less than the Oxy to repair on a crash, and lets you bypass the complexities of setup as it is designed to be very easy to fix and you don't need to program the Flybarless unit. That's just my opinion, if you can't well you can for sure learn on the little Oxy.

As for the sim, I recommend to follow a structured training plan. It is boring and will seem impossible at first but if you have little time to fly for real but can afford to sim, I think that is perfect for you to grasp the basic concepts. This will actually build your skill better and allow you to become a better pilot eventually. I sinned from what happens to many that starting to be able to control the heli and fly around started doing stunts and crazy, fun stuff. Now I am dedicating after 3 years in the hobby this winter for basic sim training.

Here is something I wrote some time ago that hopefully helps you out in your trip. Feel free to reach out to me.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=720316

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliesian66 View Post
Hi all. I'm Robert. This seems like a nice group of people here. Wondering what the average age is. I'm 44 and I aim to be a talented RC heli sport pilot. I am a beginner, started flying this year with my Blade 200 S helicopters. I had a bunch of videos on YouTube, but just took down the channel as the material was a bit to corny. Kinda got good enough with the fixed pitch to go wind surfing and hovering without crashing (too much). So I took a leap of faith and jumped from beginner fixed pitch to advanced collective by buying myself a collective Oxy 3. I really do enjoy the Oxy 3... but have failed to get it off the ground. You can see my attempt on my Facebook channel. Anyway... I'm just learning that it's best to have modes tweaked for each phase of flight or flight maneuver. I still have a lot to learn but I think my greatest obstacle is the way I go about learning may be a little off. Need better disciple and better learning paths. This forum is great but I need to supplement it more like with the book I just bought by Paul Tradelius; the Basics of RC Helis - the ultimate guide to rotate flight. My biggest disappointment so far is not being able to find the time to get to the field. I imagine to get where I wish to be I should be flying a few days a week. I'm only flying a couple days a month, if that. I do have RealFlight, but it's not the same as fighting off the gnats as I joyously control my heli against the nice background of a solid white cloud or two. . Anyway, I'm glad to be here, Rich Knapp has taught me a lot and with the way he explains things, I gather it would have taken me months or years to pick the same information up without his help. I think he is a really nice and smart guy. I'm looking forward to the Oxy 4 being released but in the meantime I really won't to the the Oxy 3 off the ground. But I am still a bit overwhelmed at understand how and why things are configured. I imagine more flight time would help. I try to learn from coding and built a free head speed calculator on my website. Though the more I learn, the more questions I have. Thank you for having me as a member on your forum. -- Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.