Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Power Systems

Power Systems Power Systems Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2017, 03:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't worry about your bevel gears unless they are not genuine Align/poor quality.

I had a bad experience with a RCA supplied Seahawk (600). The first one was with a flex drive. The drive end failed due to very poor soldering of the flex cable to the drive end - total loss. RCA replaced it eventually with a new fuselage that came with a TT and their angled gearbox. It failed 6 minutes into the first hover - fortunately as a pod & boom. Wrecked the blades.

So I bought a TT kit where you could adjust the angle. I set it up with the heli mechanics clamped down with no main blades and applied full pitch until something broke (the front bevel gear melted/stripped after about 15 seconds), and the repeated it with a new Align gear and it last around 30 seconds, but logs showed that the tail was pulling around 500W and I knew that the heli in a fuselage would fly on about 1000W, so no way the tail would pull 500W - more like 200-250W I suspect, so I knew I was pretty safe. No problems since.

Very extreme test.

Are you limited by blade length due to the tail horizontal fin ?

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good to know! I did change out the all of the gears to genuine Align, so hoping it ought to be good. I am limited on blade size by the H-stab. About 80mm would be the longest that it could handle. I have some wide cord 76mm blades on the way that I'm hoping will help things a bit.

I also changed out my main rotor blades to some wider chord Rotor Tech 430mm blades, and they handle the weight much better than the smaller scale blades. They look less scale, which is unfortunate, but I can hover now!! I was able to several 3 ft hovers without the tail slipping out yesterday afternoon! However, I was still at max left tail rotor to hold that position. Unfortunately, after several test hovers, the left gear decided to collapse and ruin my brand new blades. Now both main landing gear have been reinforced and there is a new set of mains on the way. Also have a couple of different options inbound for tail rotor blades. It's been a long and painful road, but it looks like success might finally be in sight!
500 size AH-64 Apache ikon2
EnstromPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I had a major realization yesterday that helped get things moving forward.. Originally, the Apache was meant for belt drive, and I converted it the torque tube using some spare drop down gears from the 500 Blackhawk/Bell 212 mechanics. The drive gear looked like the exact same machined brass gear as the belt drive gear that came with the Apache, so I never gave it a second thought. So, I dug around through my parts drawer and found the original gear. Sure enough, it was 26T vs the 31T gear that I was using from the Blackhawk, and I promptly installed it in the Apache.

After I got back from work today, I took the Apache out and got it spooled up and... SHE FLIES!! No more problems with tail authority at all. Did some basic hover work and slow forward flight with no issues at all. Next time its off to the RC field with a fully charged battery to start messing around with forward flight. So in the end, turns out it was my fault from the beginning
500 size AH-64 Apache ikon2
EnstromPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2017, 02:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad you got it sorted out.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in