Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Having trouble with pitch

Hey guys,

1. Does anyone know the factory settings for maximum positive/negative pitch for the Blade 230S.

I have had several crashes and repairs and I'm assuming over time that the pitch has slipped. I have no issue getting zero pitch at midstick, level swash, servos centered and horns perpendicular, links at 90 degrees, tracking beautiful. Its just my max positive is 12.9 degrees and my max negative is -6 degrees. I never measured the max pitches when i first got it so I don't know what it should be.

I measure pitch by leveling the tail boom with a bubble level, turn the blade parallel to the boom, and measure with a digital pitch gauge.

I do NOT have a computerized transmitter. I bought the RTF version witch came with a DXe. I spoke with support who suggested that the programming software available with this model could not be adjusted to correct this issue. He said that as long as the servos are centered, horns perpendicular, links at 90 degrees, swash level, and pitch at 0 degrees at mid stick then the max negative/positive pitches ought to be correct.

Mine are not (12.9/-6), so.... Any suggestions?
Thanks, Joshua
joshloveshelis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maybe I should add, this is in basic mode, NOT in aerobatic or 3d mode.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the default throttle hold pitch curve has a lower negative pitch value, check your TH curve and you should see it. Either adjust it or disconnect the motor wires when checking pitch out of TH mode.

Sorry - just re-read that you have a DXe, so you can't adjust the curves (at least, not easily). Don't worry, your full negative pitch will be available with TH off, but you could disconnect the motor wires if you want to check I guess. +ve 12 to -ve 6 with TH on sounds about right to me if I recall.
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see, maybe that is the case. I have not verified the pitch in that manner. I also noticed that I can cause the heli to glitch if I push it hard enough in stability mode. One might ask why would I give hard input on the sticks in stability mode? Because I'm right on the cusp of breaking through to aerobatic mode, but haven't taken the leap. I need to get a sim before i start inverting... Anyway, I just want to make sure the heli is in tip top shape before i do so. Its flying very well right now, low vibration, blades tracking perfect. just making sure my max's were good.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to clarify, Andy is correct. You won't get full negative pitch in normal mode.

A quick word regarding you're comment about "breaking through to aerobatic mode". I'm afraid I have some sobering news, you may feel as if you are on the cusp of beaking througn but in reality when you go to idle up flight the first thing you will be doing is learning how to hover again and I know this through experience. It will be like learning to fly all over again.

Unfortunately stability mode flight is poor training for 3D. It can be used to learn basic orientations and to get an idea how the heli behaves in the air but that's about it. Those hard inputs you are using in stability mode will become tiny little touches when flying in idle up. It is a completely different experience.

My advice, if you're ultimate goal is to progress, do it now. The longer you continue flying in stability mode, the harder the transition will be. A sim is usefull, they are even better when used with a structured training program. If you are dedicated and willing to put in regular hours the results are well worth it, enjoy - https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380
Old 11-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't doubt the commitment required to progress lotus. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I do feel I've learned a lot in a short span. I bought my first heli 08/25/17 and was immediately obsessed. I fly daily at three to four flights after work, and for a decent portion of my weekends. Its not that I'm basking in stability mode, it's that I've crashed and busted this helicopter so many times in the 3 months that I've had it, that I'm a little more cautious now. I'd rather have a plan and a focus than to just wing it at the next step. I've bought this heli (in replacement parts) probably at least two times over now. I have to manage my finances a little better.
That said, I appreciate all input. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Joshua
Old 11-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you happen to have a programming cable & App/software? I think you can change your expo settings to soften the sticks when flying in idle-up/full CP mode. Do you usually fly in high rates in stability mode? If yes, you could switch to low rates for idle-up 1 and 2 to soften things down a bit?

Just to be clear, you’re generally flying in the “normal” flight mode with full stability and a linear (0-100%) throttle curve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes Andy, I have the cable and software, and yes I fly in stability with high rate. I bet I'm ready to move up to 1. I bet if I start off with low rate like you suggest, I'd be okay. If I did decide to use the software to adjust the settings. What would I be adjusting and how? Thanks Andy!
Old 11-07-2017, 03:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshloveshelis View Post
Yes Andy, I have the cable and software, and yes I fly in stability with high rate. I bet I'm ready to move up to 1. I bet if I start off with low rate like you suggest, I'd be okay. If I did decide to use the software to adjust the settings. What would I be adjusting and how? Thanks Andy!
Ok, then best to get into full CP mode sooner than later to be honest. It's not just the stability mode transition, it's also the normal (0% @ bottom stick, 100% @ top stick) throttle curve that you would be best to get away from tbh. Flying with a flat (or V) throttle curve and only really using the collective pitch to control your up/down movement (as per idle-up flight mode settings) gives you much more control over the heli and is something that you definitely need to get used to before transitioning into any aerobatic flight etc.

I think the default expo settings are 30% but they might be 25%, can't recall exactly. If you can make changes to the settings for IU1 and IU2, set the expo to around 40% and the rates down to 60 to 70% (I think default lo-rate settings are 80%). Prob best to leave the throttle and pitch curves alone for now so as to avoid changing too many parameters at once, I'm not even sure you can adjust those with the software, it's been too long since I played with it, sorry.

If it helps your comfort levels, take off in normal mode, switch up to IU1 when ready and just get used to the difference in collective pitch/fixed throttle behaviour then switch back to normal/stability mode to land.

After a while you will be changing the rates back up and reducing the amount of expo, just take it steady and you'll soon by wondering why you even need a normal/linear throttle curve flight mode and you'll be looking at programmable radios!

Hope this helps
Old 11-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Andy, I'll be ordering a dx8 (gen2) this Friday. I think I'll wait until this weekend and just use the transmitter to adjust the settings. I may need more guidance from you when I get there. Again, thanks for the advice man. Joshua
Old 11-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a wise investement not only will it make things easier for yourself but also makes it much simpler to advise as all the newer gen2 and gen3 transmitters use the same operating system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in