Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Section

New Member Section If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hello from Bonny Doon

California that is...
I've been into remote control since the early 70's. My Dad was a private pilot who flew Cessna's, Bonanza's and Moony's in my lifetime so I grew up with a love for anything that flies.

My first plane at about 5 or so was the cox control line P-51. My dad had me set it up in the living room while he was away on business; our first mistake. We had a large living room but I started with it in the center, so the lines ended up to be about 10 feet long. We took it out to fly it one sunny day and he was going to be the test pilot. We fired it up and got it running full speed. I held onto it as he grabbed the handle and signaled me to release it. If you've ever flown control line you can guess what happened next.....He spun in circles so fast, trying desperately to hang on to it that he eventually lost his balance and fell over. I didn't get another control line plane until I was 9...and I was on my own.

Over the years I eventually went to radio control planes and then helicopters. First Helicopter was a Hirobo shuttle xx I bought used in the early 90's. That was fun to learn on. It also taught me great respect for the danger presented by a 3 foot disc of spinning hard wood blades; without injuring my self or anyone else fortunately. I can't say as much for the 55 gallon drum I drifted into at the school yard though. Couldn't tell you how many times I've stuck my finger into the prop of those spring started .049 engines when you get into that rhythm trying to start it and it starts. (that's not my thumb, it's my swollen finger)

As the years went on, my disposable income came and went with the economy( I turn wrenches for a living) so I've gotten pretty good at hovering but never really got good at forward flight. Lately things at work have been going well so I've gotten back into the hobby.

Bought a nano qx rtf last spring and been having a blast flying it around the house and yard. Next year I'd like to build an fpv quad racer. When I found out I could control the nano qx with a taranis I went ahead and bought one in October. Fixed up my axe cp v1 rtf and flew it a couple times, but spare parts have become scarce for it. I picked up an align trex 150x with the idea of having something to play with in the house during the winter, but found out with the first hover in the living room that it was a little too much for indoors at my skill level so I pickup up a blade nano cps and have been having alot of fun figuring out the programming portion of the radio; what a versatile setup this Taranis is!

Anyways, I came across this site in my recent ventures and found it to be a great wealth of information so I decided to join.

Happy Flying all!
SchooBaka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi and welcome!

Thanks for sharing. I guess my only opinion is to try to use a computer simulator. It really helps if you couple it with a structured training. Here is a post that talks about this, among many other things. You can get started with sim training with a cheap USB controller shaped like a radio transmitter on Amazon and a free demo version of Heli-X. Then you can take your pick from many options and take it from there.

Here is a post for you, hope it helps.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=720316

Cheers!
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in