OXY 2 build tips and tricks - Page 5 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI > Oxy2

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 10:59 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the middle of my build. A few things I noticed

* The tail pitch links it said needed loctite were already loctited. Oh well, re-doing it is no big deal

* The manual calls for loctite when attaching the canopy links. They are plastic, so loctite would be a bad idea; maybe they used to have a metal insert? Also maybe the screws should be self-tapping?

* On one of those DFC links, it was impossible to tell which was the smooth side and which was the stepped, even with my magnifying light. The link arm turns smoothly one way and not the other, so I think it's OK.

* One of the linkage balls on the swash was stripped. Fortunately a T5 fit and was able to grab the damaged head.

* One of the feathering shaft screws wouldn't come out, even when I held the shaft with a rubber-covered pliers. Decided if it was that hard to remove it didn't need more loctite.

I'm having a hard time screwing the linkage balls into the servo horns. With bigger helis I sometimes run a drill bit (manually, no drill) through the horn to enlarge the hole, but I don't have a bit small enough for this one. Any tips?

Edit: used a small round file

@hwpeter

If the head is wobbling, make sure it's straight on the main shaft and the two pinch screws on the head are tightened.

Last edited by nybbler; 09-11-2017 at 12:04 AM..
nybbler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
* On one of those DFC links, it was impossible to tell which was the smooth side and which was the stepped, even with my magnifying light. The link arm turns smoothly one way and not the other, so I think it's OK.
Since they come pre-assembled, just leave them the way they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
* One of the feathering shaft screws wouldn't come out, even when I held the shaft with a rubber-covered pliers. Decided if it was that hard to remove it didn't need more loctite.
Get one of these, a very good investment:
https://www.lynxheli.com/product_inf...ducts_id=22682
(check the size you need)
Old 09-11-2017, 04:38 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try heating the linkage balls with a match or lighter.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
Get one of these, a very good investment:
https://www.lynxheli.com/product_inf...ducts_id=22682
(check the size you need)
I've seen this tool before, but really do not know how it works or what exactly it does?

is there a video, or can you explain how it works?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

At a guess, I expect it's a one-way bearing in a metal body. Stick the spindle in, put a hex driver in the shaft screw, and turn. I don't have one though.
nybbler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exaclty. Holds the shaft 100% with no pain, no marks, no manual force needed.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ds480 tail mount trick

So DS480 has the wires coming out the opposite side of the output shaft, which is a little awkward everywhere.

At least on the tail, however, this can be advantageous. Turns out the tail servo can be turned backwards, which, theoretically, at least, both lowers moment and shifts CG forward a bit. Not a lot of wiggle room for adjustment with stock control rod lengths, but found this to work for both 190 and 210 tail booms. YMMV...
xplnk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tip: If you are using MKS DS450 cyclic servos, install the elevator (rear) servo when you attach the frame sides.

They size of the DS450 is just a little too large to push into place once the frame is completely assembled with the main shaft etc.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:03 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Ball link pliers for Oxy 2

After some searching, looks like the only tools to remove these links are trex 250 ball link tweezers or diy. Are these still the best options?
DX7s

Last edited by Jason Courville; 12-24-2017 at 11:55 PM..
Jason Courville is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2017, 03:48 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Courville View Post
After some searching, looks like the only tools to remove these links are trex 250 ball link tweezers or diy. Are these still the best options?
I just use finger nails
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Oxy 2 sport main bearing blocks.

I'm working on my Oxy 2 sport. I have a couple of questions. In the manual it says that the bearing block are ready to use and where assembled with loctite Must be a typo, they're plastic. One had the bearing installed the other is not. No big deal but, does the bearings need to be glued in with CA? The fit was reasonably snug. Also two of the boom lock rods are defective. One is machined in a twist so that the two hex ends are not aligned. And one is very loose. No problem, I submitted a ticket on the lynx website. Was that the proper place?
Thanks
DX7s
Jason Courville is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Servo Horns - a #55 drill (.052") works well for drilling out servo horns for proper fit of ball studs. It is .010" smaller than the stud OD. Put a drop of CA on the threads after the ball is installed to prevent getting CA on the ball.

I did not see this important tip in this thread.
For servo savers to work properly, apply loctite, tighten the screw then loosen 1/2 of a turn.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.