Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Goblin 280

Goblin 280 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 280 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Side to side tail boom play

Who all has had problem with this. I tried adding scotch tape tightening still play then remove that and added black tape tried still play. Then tried to tighten down extremely tight and ruin the frame.

Going to get new frames and sell this fireball not at all happy with it
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine has some play as well. I saw in Bert's video he recommended the tape to shim it, but also said that the play shouldn't have any effect on flight. Not sure how much I believe that, certainly seems like it would cause a wag (or at least amplify any wagging issues).

I'm going to play with shimming mine tonight. If I can't get rid of the play that way I'm going to look into securing boom to frame with additional self-tap screws. Did this when I had a 180CFX to keep the tail box from twisting.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Frame

I'm going to glue the boom in the frame so I can get a flight
If something is going to fly good there can't be any play in the boom to frame mount. Super glue here I come
Old 07-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried the tape and it helped to some degree, but still left too much play. Drilled 2 holes and put in small self-tapping screws. Boom is rock solid now, but can still be easily removed/replaced. The screws do stick out on the inside of the boom a tiny bit, but have plenty of clearance from the belt. Even if it flops around a bit in flight it won't come near the screws.

What happened to your frame that ruined it from tightening down boom clamp too much? Strip out or spun the brass threaded insert? If that is the case you could get a longer M2.5 screw and use an M2.5 Nylock nut to clamp it.

Last edited by simplechamp; 07-21-2017 at 05:30 PM..
simplechamp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Goblin fireball

For the price of this kit you should not have to do this kind of work to make something flyable. If they would have just tested couple of kit I don't see how this problem would not have shown up. I have always loved goblin helicopters till now.

Last edited by Carder; 07-22-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Carder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carder View Post
For the price of this kit you should not have to do this kind of work to make something flyable. If they would have just tested couple of kit I don't see how this problem would not have shown up. I have always loved goblin helicopters till now. If somebody wants new kit mine is for sale in the forums. Just need a new left frame half and will be like new $385.00
And will come with new pulse 1050 battery
Did you contact SAB or the place you bought it?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kit

Yea my kit was missing the esc and they sent me one I sent email today about the boom mounting problem haven't got response yet. I just don't think it's going to hold unless they redesign the frame.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yea my kit was missing the esc and they sent me one I sent email today about the boom mounting problem haven't got response yet. I just don't think it's going to hold unless they redesign the frame.
Man, that's stinks that you've had these issues. Fortunately I haven't run into any issues yet. If you decide not to sell, I hope that you can get it flying to your liking
Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Super glue? Dude. Use some amazing goop. Thick, strong as heck and you can still take it apart when needed. And you'll have zero play.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think this needs to be addressed asap by SAB. unless we're just a few unlucky people. Should see how many people are flying good.
TGsss1212 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2017, 12:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also have this side to side boom play plus a little up and down play.
benben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2017, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
For the price of this kit you should not have to do this kind of work to make something flyable. If they would have just tested couple of kit I don't see how this problem would not have shown up. I have always loved goblin helicopters till now. If somebody wants new kit mine is for sale in the forums. Just need a new left frame half and will be like new $385.00
And will come with new pulse 1050 battery
You must understand that you purchased 1st batch, which is bound to have some problems. I learned that from my purchase of 1st 630, never doing that again. I'd rather wait couple of months more and get all the perks sorted out.
zosek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Screw should be moved back for better clamp on boom

Picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2305.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	716527  
Old 07-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosek View Post
You must understand that you purchased 1st batch, which is bound to have some problems. I learned that from my purchase of 1st 630, never doing that again. I'd rather wait couple of months more and get all the perks sorted out.
Just like buying a brand new body style of a car with all the major changes production flaws will show and be rectified for later models till endloop and then they will begin another.

Wish you all luck with the models sab is a premier name so they will make it right I'm sure.
Bm421 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Didn't you know... first batchers are always the beta testers

geez

On a serious note contact SAB USA/ BK Designs they have always had first rate customer service for me

But at some point their quest to limit parts count has to become evident somewhere?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
...Use some amazing goop. Thick, strong as heck and you can still take it apart when needed. And you'll have zero play.
Which "Amazing Goop"? There are many "Amazing Goop" options.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
Which "Amazing Goop"? There are many "Amazing Goop" options.
Any. Doesn't matter.

I personally use one piece of duct tape around the frame where the boom mounts. Rock solid.

Not sure what everyone's issue is here. It's not that easy ot get two different types of plastic to be perfect.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in