Canopy Quick Release - Page 2 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI > Oxy2

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder if magnets are available in a small enough size to fit in the stock canopy grommets. Maybe glue one in if a press fit can't be achieved. Then cut the ball end off of the canopy post and epoxy the other magnet on? Quick release magnetic canopy mounting with a minimal weight penalty.

Just ordered 50 magnets that look like they should work well. If they pass testing I'll have enough left over to convert 11 and a half more Oxy's, lol.

Last edited by 2slow2g; 11-23-2017 at 12:18 AM..
2slow2g is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good luck, lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought some magnets a year a so back (when the Protos 380 came out with magnetic mounts) to try the same approach on my Mini Protos.

Once they arrived they were so strong that I quickly gave up on the idea - however if you were to stick a layer of fibreglass over the top that might diminish the "pull".

I look forward to seeing how you get on ...
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, if they're too strong just glue something over the top to act as a spacer.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
I just can't imagine how do you land that planker on that field of tall grass.

Thanks for your suggestion. Will try it if in case my initial plan fails. You have a link on those metal grommets?
Hi,
of course I cut the grass ... (even bought an electric grass scissor for this ).
And the UMX planes "fall into the grass", no problem. Would be nicer with bottom start and land, ... but... therefore I am alone there, very few people passing by, silence... no spectators - prefer this to flying at a place nearby where I could start and land the planes on concret.
The helis (also Nano CP and mCPx years ago) are no problem to land on earth.

You get those grommets "everywhere", I do have several, all are quite the same; guess some are brant "Tarot".
But beware on Ebay, we had some crazy guys here who tried to sell them for 20 €.
You will get them for cheap, e.g. at:
Banggood 1
Banggood 2
Hobbyking
Hawk-RC

The small ones (for 450+ size) work perfectly in OXY 3 and Gaui X3, but do not work very well in my OXY 2 (therefore put it on on only one so far).
Main problem is, the balls of OXY 2 canopy mounts are larger. So the mounts are very hard to press into the grommets and sometimes the are able to "get out" one of the o-rings.
Further problem: They are little large for OXY 2, so I put them in a Dremel tool and sanded a little bit off (worked perfectly, but... large balls ).

So I do not recommend them for OXY 2.
Did not check so far, of OXY 3 canopy mounts would also work on OXY 2.

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 12:01 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anxiously awaiting the glue to dry. Wish I would have used 30 min epoxy instead of 6 hour JB Weld... these little magnets are powerful though so I'm hopeful this hasn't been a waste of time and money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171129_232531.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	730177   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171129_232614.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	730178  
Old 11-30-2017, 01:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got impatient and tried it out to soon. Magnet pulled away from the post so i cleaned all of the JB weld off and redid it with 5 min epoxy. I like instant gratification, lol. Seems to work well and will flight test in a few hours.
Oxy 2 magnetic canopy mounts (0 min 58 sec)
Old 11-30-2017, 03:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool - can you give us more details of how you've done it once you've tried it out
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool..

It seems like magnets were inserted inside the grommets (perhaps glued) and another pair epoxied on the posts. But it seems like a form of shrink tubing (the gray shiny thingy) was also used to hold the magnet to the post. Unless that's the epoxy...

Not bad.. You have links on those magnets? Same size?
Old 12-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got in 9 flights today and the canopy came off in flight exactly 0 times so I'm calling this a success. 3mm x 1.5mm magnets (pm me, I have 44 more of them...)
Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow2g View Post
Got in 9 flights today and the canopy came off in flight exactly 0 times so I'm calling this a success. 3mm x 1.5mm magnets (pm me, I have 44 more of them...)

Thanks, will ask you for a set if in case my plan with the Tarot ones that i linked above won't work. So tempted to pull a set from a bigger heli as i have been using them for quite sometime.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.