Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > FPV Racing Discussion

FPV Racing Discussion FPV Racing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Exactly.

This is why tuning rates to your preferences becomes so important.

Also with quads there are 2 types of rates:
- DR/Expo.
- Super.

Super extends DR with a 1/X type curve. This keeps more sensitivity on mid rates than expo.

Max flip, roll and yaw rates of > 720 degrees per second are not uncommon. DEFAULT rates are usually 666 degrees per second.

I use 600 degrees per second when racing and 1000 degrees per second in freestyle (a lot have freestyle rates higher than this).

By contrast, an agile heli has flip and roll rates round 360 degrees per second (and yaw of round 720 degrees per second).
Good info. Thanks. I turned off the Expo and Super to get my bearings and was much more able to hover in LOS mode. I'll start turning them back on as is comfortable. What wild little machines these are.

Is there a god mode that doesn't make me restart from the beginning every time I flip it. I would rather just keep going initially till I get used to it.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Good info. Thanks. I turned off the Expo and Super to get my bearings and was much more able to hover in LOS mode. I'll start turning them back on as is comfortable. What wild little machines these are.

Is there a god mode that doesn't make me restart from the beginning every time I flip it. I would rather just keep going initially till I get used to it.

Rick
Unfortunately no god mode in sim. Good incentive to stay well away from obstacles in the sim (as well as in real life) until much more comfortable with flying.

You will get the hang of it quickly. Flying FPV mode becomes MUCH easier with a little practice.

Have a look at the Joshua Bardwell series on learning to fly FPV. You will get the hang of it in no time.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3msvRbkORU41GY

Also fly only in rate mode (never self level). Just lower the rates till you remain in control. You will find self level will end up fighting you.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Thanks. Could you post a screen capture of all your setups?
Old 12-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:

Lift Off is too CPU intensive for my computer, even when I use the fastest setting.

Rick
I take this back. I lowered the resolution and now my computer can keep up.

Rick
Old 12-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks. Could you post a screen capture of all your setups?
These are my rates for racing. Allows quick enough turns at full throttle, but still enough accuracy to hit gates fairly well.

My actual rates in the real quad match this.

You will need to tweak yours appropriately.

btw, my Bfight 210 is ready to fly. Just need the weather to improve to let me fly. I also got a shipping notice for my FuriBee X215 Pro today so it should be here before Christmas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Velicidrone-rates.jpg (58.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
These are my rates for racing. Allows quick enough turns at full throttle, but still enough accuracy to hit gates fairly well.

My actual rates in the real quad match this.

You will need to tweak yours appropriately.

btw, my Bfight 210 is ready to fly. Just need the weather to improve to let me fly. I also got a shipping notice for my FuriBee X215 Pro today so it should be here before Christmas.
Thanks, that should help.
I haven't got any notices yet. Santa is getting worried.

Rick
Old 12-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

How does the free DRL sim compare to the real thing? Physics-wise. I don't care about the graphics.

Thanks,

KevinB
KevinB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
How does the free DRL sim compare to the real thing? Physics-wise. I don't care about the graphics.

Thanks,

KevinB
DRL is now on steam and it's USD $20.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/64...gue_Simulator/

If it was free, I would have downloaded and evaluated. However as I have a sim I am happy with (Velicidrone - https://www.velocidrone.com/ - Which has a free trial version) I hope you will excuse me for not spending money on another sim.

There were a few comments on steam on how the free beta was better than the paid version, but may just be that only the bitter ones are posting and those that like it are too busy playing.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

reviving this thread a little. I use liftoff and I've really been happy with it. I could fly very confidently in self level and LOS before but wanted to learn fpv. I could control my helis in acro (but I wouldnt call it comfortable). I began fpv by picking up an inductrix plus plus and a headset to fly with, I was hooked but needed a sim to really help me practice for long periods of time (more than 12 minutes) I got the velocidrone demo and was a little overwhelmed as fpv itself was a huge step from my comfort zone even in self level. I purchased liftoff and I had been hitting it hard for 2 weeks now. I've gotten so much more confident and comfortable, and I can fly around in fpv acro fairly confidently. When I first started their tutorials I had much trouble just hovering in acro. As I grow more in my abilities I intend on purchasing velocidrone as well as it is also a great sim.
VenomousSVT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Long-time competitive racer here,

DRL feels absolutely nothing like any real race quad you would (hopefully) ever have to race. I have been a finalist in the last 2 MGP nationals, and in 2016 I was the nation #1 seed going into nats. and I will tell you, I cannot fly the DRL sim for ****. It feels like flying a boat with no rudder, honestly.

I have come to see the value of a sim much more since I got into helis, but the real way to improve is get a good batch of 6-12 batteries, at least one quad thats pretty tank-status, and lots of spare props. No sim will ever feel exactly like real life, no matter how good. I see why heli guys would want to sim for FPV right off the bat, and thats good and all, but almost all of the sims teach bad habits that would make your real acro flying worse, take my word for it. I only use FPV sims now to kill time, try completely new moves that are super disorienting, or because its rainy.

Get comfortable with your quad, not your sim. Would be happy to give flight tips/pointers if anyone wants them as well.

-Mike
SparkyMJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in