OXY 2 Build - Page 7 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI > Oxy2

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just a couple of additions:

I would suggest that folks avoid ordering from Lemon-RX directly. I ordered 2 x satellites on 10/19 and still haven't seen them.

In fact, I'm having to file a lost parcel report with them so they can track it down. Hardly worth it, for $30.00 but ... more of a principle thing at this point.

Totally happy the Spektrum SPM9645.

As Ben knows, I had a minor mishap yesterday and trashed one of the the bottom plate screws holding on the landing gear. Ran (well...drove) over to HeliDirect (2.5 hour round trip) and picked up a replacement today. Back in the air for one flight, but due to wind had to call it quits. .

[Tarmac/Helipad shot attached.]

While I was there I picked up a few other spare parts and a new 210 FE kit for parts (if needed) or (most likely) a second build.

Thinking of using the 1911 this time, uSpirit and SPM4649T. The Talon 25 seems good, so might stick with that or perhaps try a HW. Not sure.

Had a squeal from the tail belt pulley guides that was driving me nuts. Added a toothpick sized drop of silicon gear oil. Seems to have resolved that. They (one or both) sounded like they were dry...odd.

Having some tail wag issues. Not sure what's causing it, but can't seem to get enough good weather to sort it out. With the 4-day holiday ... perhaps I'll get to spend some time on it if the weather improves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	729521  

Last edited by rjbokleman; 11-21-2017 at 05:56 PM..
rjbokleman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbokleman View Post
Ran (well...drove) over to HeliDirect (2.5 hour round trip) and picked up a replacement today. Back in the air for one flight, but due to wind had to call it quits. .

While I was there I picked up a few other spare parts and a new 210 FE kit for parts (if needed) or (most likely) a second build.
Wish I have a nearby and big LHS like that. I'm jelly.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail Wag

Gone.

Rookie error not looking at my trim settings on the radio every now and again.

I must have fat fingered the trim on the radio at some point as the rudder trim was set a bit off to the right. Once I noticed this and centered it again ... wag gone. The Brain2 was saying ... hey tail move back over here while the trim setting was saying hey where are you going?

She flies really great now.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Rookie error not looking at my trim settings on the radio every now and again.

I must have fat fingered the trim on the radio at some point as the rudder trim was set a bit off to the right.
You should probably disable the trims completely in your FBL helis models... much safer. Not sure ehat TX yoi have, but it's pretty easy with Spektrums.
rjbokleman likes this.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good idea. DX6 is what I’m flying, so:

Quote:
System Setup —> Trim Step
Adjusting the trim step value determines how many “clicks” of
trim you input each time you press the trim button. Changing
the trim step value to 0 disables the trim for the channel.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it is a gen 2, I believe you can disable trims in your tx.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

So glad you never did the 330x. You should be be too!
Thickfog is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Indeed!

I learned, so much more, by building the OXY2.

In fact, I've ordered a pair of 255mm OXY3's w/stretch boom, belt, blades.

I got one from Lynx direct (@ 10% off) on Friday $183.83, and another that was on sale from HeliDirect this morning (@ 20% off) for $163.40!

Also got all the core electronics for one from Lynx minus the FBL. Got one MSH [MSH51630] Brain 2 from Amain Hobbies before they announced their 15% off sale @ $199.00. Oh well, can't win them all!

Then, this morning when ordering the second OXY3 255 from HeliDirect mentioned above, I noticed they had the iKON2 with Integrated Bluetooth for $139.00. So I basically paid 169.99 each (@ 15% off) on both in the end.

Overall I think I made out well and am looking forward to the builds with a lot less fear, uncertainty and doubt.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Indeed!

I learned, so much more, by building the OXY2.

In fact, I've ordered a pair of 255mm OXY3's w/stretch boom, belt, blades.

I got one from Lynx direct (@ 10% off) on Friday $183.83, and another that was on sale from HeliDirect this morning (@ 20% off) for $163.40!

Also got all the core electronics for one from Lynx minus the FBL. Got one MSH [MSH51630] Brain 2 from Amain Hobbies before they announced their 15% off sale @ $199.00. Oh well, can't win them all!

Then, this morning when ordering the second OXY3 255 from HeliDirect mentioned above, I noticed they had the iKON2 with Integrated Bluetooth for $139.00. So I basically paid 169.99 each (@ 15% off) on both in the end.

Overall I think I made out well and am looking forward to the builds with a lot less fear, uncertainty and doubt.
You have the sickness
rjbokleman likes this.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Old 11-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
You have the sickness
Yes, it's when you get confused about the difference between "flying" and "buying". They sound so similar...
perrypoint likes this.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now you can say that you're finally neck deep in this hobby.... Or as my wife used to say to me, "finally in deep sh...."

Save some dough for the Oxy4..
Old 11-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
Save some dough for the Oxy4..
I'm setting aside the iKON for it.
Thickfog likes this.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah, baby!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's the sickness we want to hear!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
That's the sickness we want to hear!
So after missing the HK110's I sold, I decided to go for the OXY 2 with a stretch boom & 1911 Motor.
Something for the local Park> I like the Light 3D and Big Air style!
Old 12-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OXY2 Build #2

By way of catching up on this thread and where I'm at now, I built my first OXY2 from a 190FE kit with:

CC Talon 25A ESC
Micro Brain2
Spektrum 9645 RX
Lynx 1611
Lynx DS-895-HV
Blue Arrow H0988UHS
Stretched it w/stretch kit
Given the CC Talon 25 doesn't come with an RPM sensor, I just used the ESC governor.
210mm Plastic Main
41mm Plastic Tail
10T Main Pinion
15T Tail Pulley

What I noticed right away during the maiden flight of build #1 was a wonky startup of the motor where it slightly hesitates/jitter when taking it off Hold. It's not the belt tension either...I've seen this behavior in videos [ https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...23#post7503737 ] from others using a CC ESC.

The other notable item that I've not been able to fix, is getting the tail yaw out completely. While flying in a hover...the tail will yaw left/nose right (drift) very slowly. At this point, I'm attributing this, until proven wrong or schooled differently, on the lack of integration between the Brain2 and the ESC.

I am making this, perhaps incorrect assumption due to OXY2 build #2 and the results that follow below.

Now, enter OXY2 build #2. I decided to try a HW Platinum 25A V4 and switched to a Spectrum 4649T RX. Had some issues with the HW software, but got those resolved with a support case. Everything else is the same as build #1 except I am now using the Micro Brain2 Governor since the HW 25A V4 has the RPM sensor built in. (Thanks, JRMAN83!)

This setup made a huge difference in the final result!! The HW startup is clean and smooth - no jitter. On top of that, with the tail configured exactly the same in the Micro Brain2 as build #1, the tail held perfectly still in one place for my entire 4.5 minute maiden hover flight this weekend. My jaw dropped in amazement!

The difference seems to be the ESC and use of the Brain2 Governor, though the second OXY2 kit was a pure 210FE, where the first was a 190FE stretched. (Very minor difference really.)

I can't tell you how happy I am with the HW/Brain2 governor combination and am now considering removing the CC Talon from bird #1 and replacing it.

Before I go that route though, I figured I'd post this for some advice on how to proceed. I do have a HW RPM Sensor here, but haven't installed it on build #1 yet to see if this tail yaw issue goes away. It certainly won't do anything for the CC wonky/hesitation/jittery startup most likely.

When seeing tail yaw like this ... what else should I be looking at if anything for a likely cure?

Thanks!
jrman83 likes this.

Last edited by rjbokleman; 12-18-2017 at 02:55 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail yaw and your esc/brain have nothing to do with it. You have something off mechanically or vibs.

Esc start up is a setting you can adjust in the esc.
You have yours too low.

For reference my hobbywing is jittering/stalling when starting up. I haven't bothered to adjust start up power yet.

So any esc can have this issue.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are some things to try in the tuning to rule out mechanical issues.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Old 12-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
Tail yaw and your esc/brain have nothing to do with it. You have something off mechanically or vibs.

Esc start up is a setting you can adjust in the esc.
You have yours too low.

For reference my hobbywing is jittering/stalling when starting up. I haven't bothered to adjust start up power yet.

So any esc can have this issue.
Vibration analysis looks good from the Brain2. All less than 10 during the entire 4.5 minute flight.

CC Talon 25 ESC 'Motor Start Power' is set to default of Medium (59), so that rules out having it set too low for the 1611 I would imagine given its not set to Low (39) nor some custom value.

The CC Talon 25 ESC 'Initial Spool-Up Rate' is set to Low(2).

My HW 25A V4 is set to the default 'StartUp Power' of 3 and it works perfectly for the 1611 w/3S 10T pinion. If you're using a 1911, different cell count or pinion that might require a different value and account for the difference.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're guessing what the valued should be. It should be whatever starts up smoothly.

Comparing a hobbywing and castle starting rate means nothing. It's a a manufacturer number and not based on any industry standard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.