Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1am7h30n3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2017, 04:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Problem Calibrating ESC - Mini VBAR and Align 35A ESC

Kinda stuck on this one. 450 pro DFC, 3s, 35A(?) stock align ESC.

I have mini vbar, I've done the binding to the radio (DX8), done the VBAR end point calibration so I'm seeing -100 to 100 on my throttle channel as I move the stick with linear throttle curve.

I'm powering the mini VBAR with an external BEC, I removed the power wire from the ESC servo connector and plug it into the VBAR. I power up the BEC to get the mini VBAR running and wait for initialization, at this point I see -100 to 100 on throttle channel (low stick = -100, high stick = 100). Now I put throttle stick to high point and plug in my 3s lipo into the ESC, I get a sequence of beeps for high point calibration, I lower the stick and I get a sequence of beeps for low point calibration. Then I unplug the lipo from the ESC to save the settings and re-plug it in. So at this point I feel like I've successfully completed the end point calibration for the ESC?

As soon as the ESC powers up now I get continuous beeping which sounds like I can't remember the wording in the manual but "out of range" or "invalid signal range" something like that. At this point I can't do anything, can't spool up, can't calibrate, nothing just continuous beeping until I unplug lipo.

Sometimes (randomly?) I can come back a few days later and it won't continuously beep anymore, it'll make fairly normal (but can't confirm 100%) startup noises and then just sit there, at this point it won't spool up (BUT I could retry the calibration at this point - done it numerous times same result as above).

I've put a servo onto the mini VBAR channel I took the ESC off of and I can see the servo moving linearly with the throttle stick as I would expect.

Sort of not sure what this all points to? Seems like I've proved the mini vbar (by plugging a servo into throttle channel). I feel like my ESC throttle endpoint calibration is correct. Faulty ESC? Same ESC worked 100% on beastx a few months back but I sold the beastx to change to mini vbar.

Only thing I haven't tried is to recalibrate the ESC with a separate receiver. I only have one receiver and it's in my 700 so I don't really want to rip out the wiring, especially since I've confirmed throttle channel is working with a servo?

Any advice?
1am7h30n3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rebind? Buy a clone RX by accident?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

Clone RX - sure it could be, i bought it ages ago, spektrum sat, BUT it was pulled off a working/flying heli and howcome the throttle operates 100% reliably (and all other channels as well) when viewing the transmitter calibration screen in the VBAR?

Rebind - sure I can give it a try, but why would all channels work perfectly in transmitter calibration screen and all stick inputs aileron, elevator, tail, work 100% perfect and I can test by plugging a servo into the throttle output of the mini VBAR and it follows stick inputs all day long linearly?
Old 07-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

any chance of a video of the ESC calibration
Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1am7h30n3 View Post
Appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

Clone RX - sure it could be, i bought it ages ago, spektrum sat, BUT it was pulled off a working/flying heli and howcome the throttle operates 100% reliably (and all other channels as well) when viewing the transmitter calibration screen in the VBAR?

Rebind - sure I can give it a try, but why would all channels work perfectly in transmitter calibration screen and all stick inputs aileron, elevator, tail, work 100% perfect and I can test by plugging a servo into the throttle output of the mini VBAR and it follows stick inputs all day long linearly?
Pulled from a working unit, as in another Vbar? Or a full RX with Sat?
Throttle input or lack of a good signal providing a steady low point might not show in the monitor. Well if you bump the throttle trim down a couple when it's beeping fast indicating low throttle point not seen and it stops and initializes and then try a TX calibration, rebind being sure to set throttle fail safe. A fresh sat cable wouldn't hurt either, they do have a reputation with connection issues.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the VBar has been upgraded to pro, you can check the event log. If not, it might be time to start replacing things. Satellite cable is the cheapest, but a new Lemon diversity sat is only about $10, so I would probably get one and try the cable first, then the sat if you need to. The sats are excellent quality, not clones, and the cables seem to be a little more robust than either the normal Spektrum or clone ones.

If the sat doesn't fix it, ESC next.

Given that your servos seem to be getting a good signal, including a servo in the throttle port, the ESC seems a more likely cuplrit, but the sat is cheaper and it's never bad to have a spare lying around.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try dropping your lower throttle endpoint just a couple more clicks. I had this with vbar. Even though I had it showing -100, the ESC was still seeing a small amount of throttle.
Oxy 2, Gaui X3 #1, Protos 380, Gaui X5, Synergy 766, Specter 700
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766/Specter 700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 32/16/12/145/7/50
Consecutive Successful Flights (Max) = 145
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2017, 03:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Update

Haven't had chance to get back to this till now... Thanks for advice.

Going to file this under faulty ESC. Tried 2 different vbars, different sats, lowered/increased endpoints, reversed throttle just for the heck of it, tried it on a servo tester. No joy.

My best guess is something like an intermittent connection from bad soldering or something on the signal wire. Honestly, time is worth more than the cost of a new esc right now so the troubleshooting is over.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Update 2

Put in a different ESC, calibrated it first time no problems at all.

Took the heat shrink off the faulty ESC, can't see a loose wire etc (was hoping it would be the signal wire coming loose off the board). Just a random failure I guess.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am glad you were able to figure it out. There are a hundred things that can go wrong with these things

Hopefully, you will have no more problems. Enjoy flying it!
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766/Specter 700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 32/16/12/145/7/50
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Took her out to the field for the first time this weekend. Wow I had forgotten what an awesome machine a 450 is, decent power, big enough blades to handle a bit of breeze, just super locked in nice feeling to fly, tail was holding perfectly even in some really fast inverted backwards hurricanes. Just such a pleasure to fly!

Castle talon 35 with gov, 3s, savox servos on cyclic, align stock on tail, align stock motor, pretty much everything else standard. 3 year old x-power lipos!
macdad likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great to hear! I will always have a 450 size heli. They are just great fun to fly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in