Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 500X-Cyclic servos- Servo linkage ball position from centre?

So I'm building up the 500X I bought a few weeks ago now.

Mine is the kit that comes with the plastic cased servos and the plastic servo horns.

The manual suggests using the metal servo horns with 18mm ball spacing, but the plastic servo horn supplied have 16mm and 20mm hole spacing.

If I can get away with 16mm hole spacing I'll use that since the servos won't have to work as hard as they would with 20mm hole spacing, but I'm concerned that I won't get enough travel for cyclic and collective pitch with 16mm hole spacing.

What has been your experience 500X owners?

I guess this may depend on what FBL unit you are using, I will be using a Spartan Vortex VX1n of this model.

Thanks!!

MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used the 20mm holes. It results in a better geometry since the links are closer to 90º when the servos are centered. Don't worry about the needed torque. The DS530 servos has plenty of torque to deal with that, mostly if you power them to 8,4V.
Goblin 500
joanpeca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanpeca View Post
I used the 20mm holes. It results in a better geometry since the links are closer to 90º when the servos are centered. Don't worry about the needed torque. The DS530 servos has plenty of torque to deal with that, mostly if you power them to 8,4V.
O.K. 20mm holes it is then I'll be powering them with the 7.4v BEC on the HW 100A v3, but that should be enough I think.

MB
Old 12-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got the same servos, running at 7.4 with HW100 v3 no issues at all, I did however buy the metal servo arms cause they look nice, also bought a couple packages of the red washers for the 470l.
cschmidt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2017, 06:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmidt View Post
I've got the same servos, running at 7.4 with HW100 v3 no issues at all, I did however buy the metal servo arms cause they look nice, also bought a couple packages of the red washers for the 470l.
Those servo arms do look nice, and will give optimal geometry according to the manual, but I'd rather stick with the plastic arms as they should hopefully take the brunt of the impact in a hard crash, and do less damage to the servos and servo gears.

MB
Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Boy View Post
Those servo arms do look nice, and will give optimal geometry according to the manual, but I'd rather stick with the plastic arms as they should hopefully take the brunt of the impact in a hard crash, and do less damage to the servos and servo gears.

MB
+1
Goblin 500
joanpeca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in