Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
I planned to buy a ds24. But one year later I’ve lost interest.
I now feel the same way about the $2,300 Jeti DS-24. The $600 Spektrum iX12 modern features put things in perspective. I don't need more than 10 channels. I don't need or want a heavy CNC aluminum case. The 100/200A Power Main Switch is completely useless to me. That does not mean I will be trading my DS-16 for the Spektrum iX12. The Spektrum iX12 does not have accelerometers, properly located display, Hall sensors, swappable switches, full featured FBL integration, LUA, and a bunch of other features important to me. But now I expect my next radio to have color touch screen, WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity (and possibly stand alone cell service), improved integration with electronic components, battery recognition, GPS like the $500 Horus, etc.

No reason to "upgrade" from my current DS-16 unless Jeti incorporates major improvements into the next radio. The DS-24 is becoming obsolete before its release.
Dmaxison likes this.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2017, 05:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
For sure it will be interesting to see what and when all the promised stuff happens. The 12 is really spearheaded towards drone market, there are no telemetry functions, no wireless switches, also (surprisingly) you cannot displaying telemetry and flight time at the same time on the screen.

The Bluetooth functionality and all app will be interesting to see, what you need is the integrated hardware, sensors, servos, switches, stabilization systems and whole integration. For sure we will not see 100/200A Power Main Switch anytime soon.

We already agreed to go differently way (Jeti Studio), for us transmitters stays transmitters and Bluetooth (DroidBox) will be connection to outside world. Get 10” tablet program your model, display telemetry, adjust parameters and send it to Tx. I want to see how someone will program 9-point Servo match curve on 4” display with dirty fingers.

Zb/Jeti USA

The thing is, EVERY feature you list as a plus for Jeti has 0 value to me as a heli guy. Our needs are fairly basic once the protocol and interface with FBL is taken care of. What is nice about Jeti is the openness of it. Integration with FBL, customization of switches, lots of receiver options.

What isn’t nice is the aluminum case. Every year winter rolls around and I dislike my Jeti. It’s fine in the summer when the weather is warm although it is still large and heavy and it builds up condensation in the screen, but in the winter it’s like holding a block of ice and that sucks.

So let’s talk about this mythical Jeti 12. Is it in a plastic case?
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eury View Post
What isn’t nice is the aluminum case. Every year winter rolls around and I dislike my Jeti. It’s fine in the summer when the weather is warm although it is still large and heavy and it builds up condensation in the screen, but in the winter it’s like holding a block of ice and that sucks.
I would have agreed a few years ago. After I installed heater cables inside of the Jeti however, the aluminum case is actually a plus. It's much more comfortable to hold a warm aluminum radio than a cold plastic radio.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=583861
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Specy IX12 and Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotto View Post
I would have agreed a few years ago. After I installed heater cables inside of the Jeti however, the aluminum case is actually a plus. It's much more comfortable to hold a warm aluminum radio than a cold plastic radio.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=583861

I’ve seen that. I’ve even got the heater kit on my shelf. Just haven’t had the heart to install it. Maybe I’ll try it out today. All you show for fastening it inside is duct tape on the rear. Did you do anything for the other wires or just tucked them in there?

Last edited by Eury; 12-13-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think we're starting a "swimming pool debate"...
(year 1 you get your family an inflatable swimming pool for the summer.... they are happy with it... BUT they crave for more... so Year2 you get a larger one... which does satisfy the interests but not quite there yet... so year 3 you actually build one with the patio and all which is great but... it is not deep enough... so this trend continues untill you build and actual olympic swimming pool, with the deep en to dive in and all... BUT it still is not enough as it does not have a spa section.... )
bottom line is you never winn... there will always be more that you can add to the pool and to the TX... the real quiestion is what do you need... and what do you use...

I am happy with what Jeti is offering... I do not need or require a touch screen... colors... are nice but are they really needed?
I love the voice alarms and readouts... I love the fact that when I tilt my TX it reads all the data I tell it to read out to me...
I love the gimballs (and I own a DS14...!) and I love the fact that I can set all the switches to do what I want them to do...

I do not need anything more....

gh
Eury and StefSTG like this.
goodhunting is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhunting View Post
(year 1 you get your family an inflatable swimming pool for the summer.... they are happy with it... BUT they crave for more... so Year2 you get a larger one... which does satisfy the interests but not quite there yet... so year 3 you actually build one with the patio and all which is great but... it is not deep enough... so this trend continues untill you build and actual olympic swimming pool, with the deep en to dive in and all... BUT it still is not enough as it does not have a spa section.... )
bottom line is you never winn... there will always be more that you can add to the pool and to the TX... the real quiestion is what do you need... and what do you use...

I am happy with what Jeti is offering... I do not need or require a touch screen... colors... are nice but are they really needed?
I love the voice alarms and readouts... I love the fact that when I tilt my TX it reads all the data I tell it to read out to me...
I love the gimballs (and I own a DS14...!) and I love the fact that I can set all the switches to do what I want them to do...

gh
I agree with you here but the basic point of sellers selling more is to understand people "wants" not what they need. Bling sells to a certain segment too and I have fallen more than once in the trap.

That is how they sell bigger pool.

Not defending the Spektrum as I am not going to get one but this being a hobby is from the start not a need. Good for my sanity but not a need
Old 12-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I’ve seen that. I’ve even got the heater kit on my shelf. Just haven’t had the heart to install it. Maybe I’ll try it out today. All you show for fastening it inside is duct tape on the rear. Did you do anything for the other wires or just tucked them in there?
I fixed it to the aluminum chassis with blobs of hot-melt glue. As much of the heat wire should be in contact with the chassis.

The glue is easy to remove if needed.
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

Quote:
The thing is, EVERY feature you list as a plus for Jeti has 0 value to me as a heli guy. Our needs are fairly basic once the protocol and interface with FBL is taken care of. What is nice about Jeti is the openness of it. Integration with FBL, customization of switches, lots of receiver options.

So let’s talk about this mythical Jeti 12. Is it in a plastic case?
Plastic Case, Color Display, Wireless Trainer, BT Wifi provisions, Hall-Sensor Gimbals, Full Integration with Mezon Pro ESCs, New REX Assist receivers with Drone, Vario and Possible FBL firmware....

I think those are the features you are interested.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotto View Post
I fixed it to the aluminum chassis with blobs of hot-melt glue. As much of the heat wire should be in contact with the chassis.

The glue is easy to remove if needed.
Use Denatured Alcohol, small drop breaks the joint instantly. All stays clean.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 12-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhunting View Post

gh
I think it’s not so much about compelling guys to switch. It’s more about selling new units to guys in the market. If there are no ties and now you choose between a $700 ds-14 or a $600 ix-12.

While it’s too new in its product cycle to know anything, the potential of it outstrips anything yet from Jeti. But it depends on future execution by spektrum.
jhamel likes this.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rofl, I did actually wonder about a heated Jeti after flying last weekend. I flew fixed wing with my Jeti DS16 then a helicopter with AR7200BX with my Spektrum DX18.
It was no contest in the zero degree (c) temperatures, the Spektrum was much nicer to use.
It's pointless making the case out of cnc'd aluminium, it's just excessive over engineering.
Great quality plastic case with ergonomic grips would be better IMO.

Last edited by GadgetMart; 12-16-2017 at 02:39 PM..
GadgetMart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
...and now you choose between a $700 ds-14 or a $600 ix-12.

Where is this $700 DS-14 you speak of? From what I can find, the pricing starts at $800 for a DS-14, with lots of features that are additional add ons (for more $$) that otherwise come standard on the iX12.

Such features include:

· Channels (6 more)
· Flight Modes (3 more)
· Mixes
· Graphs
· Logical Switches
· Sequencer
· Timers (3 more)
· Telemetry
· Sounds on Events
· Alarms
· Voice Output
· Gyro Setting (2 more)
· Function Curves
· Throttle Limiter

am I wrong?

Seems like the DS-16 would be the better comparison to the iX12, but at nearly double the cost.

Last edited by wkderf; 12-26-2017 at 10:38 AM..
wkderf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2017, 01:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me the iX12 is definitely a step in the right direction, and I think it has potential to hurt Jeti sales, but Spektrum are still a long ways behind.

- Telemetry is still an afterthought, and can't be added to the home screen.

- No capability for telemetry to trigger actions.

- No two way communication to the model, which means no FBL tuning integration.

- No LUA or end user customisation.

Telemetry and flexibility are still where it falls down. However if Spektrum keep working on the platform I can see it catching up over the next year or two.

Right now there's no way I would switch, the Jeti signal quality (and integrated signal strength telemetry) is huge, I love my FBL integration, and for larger and more complex planes Jeti have a far stronger and more proven solution.

I love competition like this though, it usually pushes companies to innovate, which tends to mean we get more cool stuff to play with :-D
donskills likes this.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2017, 02:57 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
For me the iX12 is definitely a step in the right direction, and I think it has potential to hurt Jeti sales, but Spektrum are still a long ways behind.

- Telemetry is still an afterthought, and can't be added to the home screen.

- No capability for telemetry to trigger actions.

- No two way communication to the model, which means no FBL tuning integration.

- No LUA or end user customisation.

Telemetry and flexibility are still where it falls down. However if Spektrum keep working on the platform I can see it catching up over the next year or two.

Right now there's no way I would switch, the Jeti signal quality (and integrated signal strength telemetry) is huge, I love my FBL integration, and for larger and more complex planes Jeti have a far stronger and more proven solution.

I love competition like this though, it usually pushes companies to innovate, which tends to mean we get more cool stuff to play with :-D
Agree with all of this. I don’t think the reasons for buying Jeti over Spektrum are any different after the advent of the iX12 than they were before. Sure, the iX12 is interesting and adds a few potentially powerful future options that are worth keeping an eye on but they are still very different products.

Even with a significant price premium, some of us chose Jeti over Spektrum for the things that are important to us; quality, top screen, Hall effect gimbals, integration and the things listed in Myiplx’s post. None of that changes and so some will continue to buy Jeti over Spektrum. Price comparisons are as invalid now as they were before.

If iX12 or its successors are developed to add the quality and functionality to challenge those aspects Jeti then it will be a different matter but for now at least, Spektrum may gain market share from some other brands but I don’t see a challenge to Jeti - yet.
donskills likes this.

So many things to fly, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkderf View Post
Where is this $700 DS-14 you speak of? From what I can find, the pricing starts at $800 for a DS-14, with lots of features that are additional add ons (for more $$) that otherwise come standard on the iX12.

Such features include:

· Channels (6 more)
· Flight Modes (3 more)
· Mixes
· Graphs
· Logical Switches
· Sequencer
· Timers (3 more)
· Telemetry
· Sounds on Events
· Alarms
· Voice Output
· Gyro Setting (2 more)
· Function Curves
· Throttle Limiter

am I wrong?

Seems like the DS-16 would be the better comparison to the iX12, but at nearly double the cost.
The DS-16 is way way more radio than the ix12. The DS-14 is a little less out of the box. The DS-14 used to be 695 until the price got bumped. Sure the Spektrum is cheaper, but hardware, telemetry and integration wise you get way more than Spetkrum using Jeti.

The build quality is simply on another level. There is absolutely zero flex, the throttle gimbal never sticks(may be fixed on the ix12), and the device is much more modular and customizable. There have even been stories of Jetis being run over by cars and still working.

Now is this necessary? No it really isn't, but then again for flying helis, the majority of the features the ix12 has over the locked DS-14 are unnecessary too. Fully unlocked the DS-14 is more radio than the ix12 as well.
Crashalotjoe likes this.
Yfbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wasn't saying the Jeti and the iX12 are the close to being the same radio - quite the opposite actually.

What I AM saying is that the price difference between the 2 is a larger gap than OnTheSnap was suggesting.

I firmly believe the Jeti to be a better built and more capable radio than Spektrum, but its the price that im having a hard time justifying.

I REALLY want better telemetry and integration than what my DX9 currently offers (though Spektrum has gotten a lot better in the last year) but I also REALLY REALLY want a transmitter with a screen ABOVE the gimbals, so I can actually glance at it mid flight. That more than anything is what will get me to switch. Still though, its hard to justify converting my fleet and investing the funds just for that convenience.

Still though, im tempted.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Who needs a fully unlocked DS-14 for helis? I added a feature or two I really didn't need just to get enough for the 50 euro feature voucher.

There is one thing that is very beneficial, at least to me, for helis. Decent telemetry. And, at least out of the box, the new Spek still has terrible telem.

One thing to note is that Spek can do fbl setup and tuning if you're using a Brain.

And you can't discount the Spek because it doesn't have LUA. It will have its own flavor of programming. We'll just have to see how capable that is once its out in the general populations hands.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityJunkie View Post
There are only two things Jeti needs to add based on the new Spektrum. Color touch screen (that one can see in the sun) and the ability to adjust gimbals without popping off the back.

I have no need for the Android stuff.

Maybe change that to 3 things, a lower price point. DS-14, color screens, front adjust gimbals with a price that rivals the nw Spektrum radio. That would crush the competition.
I mainly fly Heli's, so I do care about the DS14; I just bought one from Esprit. Also plan to fly large scale biplane, which the DS14 can easily handle.

For me..

- I don't like touch screens
- I don't like color screens; personally feel LCD looks great in bright sunlight/backlit feature elsewhere is great too.
- I don't want holes/holes with access for tension adjustments.
- Plastic case would have been fine with me, if it was available and made the price point lower on the DS14
- Wifi & Bluetooth... Great feature to complete updates, but how often does firmware come out (yes I'm aware there's other things you can do with WiFi/Bluetooth)? App for Brain2 is great, but a non-bluetooth Brain2 for $169 talks to Jeti already.

I prefer everything the way it is; specifically the quality, top screen, and nice gimbals. Those are some of the factors to why I bought the Jeti.

Last edited by IndividualWon; 05-12-2018 at 03:02 PM..
IndividualWon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in