Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By malbasora
  • 3 Post By GimpyGolden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default XLPower 520 or Logo 480 Xxtreme

Looking for a Mid size practice heli and these 2 stand out. Does anyone have any experience with the XLPower 520 and Logo 480 Xxtreme? How are the parts quality of the XLPower compared to the Logo (value for money)? What about parts availability?

The thing I like the most about the XLPower is that you can easily convert the heli to a 550 size while the Logo can only turn 480 blades.
I also noticed a big price difference depending on where you buy your XLPower parts (banggood, Acrowood or XLPower factory).

What do you think?
malbasora is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2017, 04:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

IŽd go for an Align 550X. Fantastic heli. Great Price & you get spare parts everywhere. It is already a 550, comes with the 600 tail boom and can swing up to 570-580mm blades, stock.

Rgds, Eugen
enied is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Between the Logo and XLPower I'd go with the XLPower. They are very similar helis overall but the XLPower is extensively upgraded compared to the Logo with top quality alloy parts where the Logo uses plastic. They are both very lightweight helis but as you say, the XLpower is designed to go up to 550 size. The quality of the XLPower is absolutely top notch.

Obviously there are a lot of nice helis in this size range but i can say with confidence that you wouldn't be disappointed in the XLPower. If buying bear in mind that there have been a few upgrades to the kit since it's introduction such as slant main gear, bigger blades (520 vs 480), new canopy, angular contact main bearings and rear frame stiffeners.
More recent kits may come with some or all of these upgrades which might go some way to explain price difference.

The Logo would win on availability of spares locally but you can get all the XLPower parts from China at very good prices and there is now a new UK based XLPower dealer, they havent got stock in yet but that should be fixed soon: https://www.hely-shop.co.uk/
Old 12-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don’t own any of those two helis but my personal choice would be the XL, due to size difference and cheaper replacement parts.

Keep in mind when buying outside the EU, you get hit by customs.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've owned a lot of Logo's though never a 480 and they are great machines.
I'd choose the XL as Mikado prices are getting a little too high for my budget.
I am currently looking to sell my 600Sx and replace with the 520 to cut costs.

I think you answered your own question though stating it'd be a practice heli. You don't want to be held back by fear of high crash costs, kind of beyond the point of buying this size.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mikado has been in business over 25 years. To survive that long in the industry means they must be doing something right. I also like the fact that their is a distributor as well as several re-sellers in my country for Mikado so I don't have every part from overseas.
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Today I have made the decision and ordered the XLPower 550. In my country it really doesn't matter what brand of heli you buy, because most hobby shops won't last long and go bankrupt. I have seen most of them come and go . And those who are there don't have all the parts (and expensive).

Because the 520 and 550 are the same heli (except for the boom, boom support, belt and pushrod) I think price wise it's more convenient to buy the 550.
Their 550\520 blades costs less than the 480 blades (24 USD). This means that an average crash would cost you less than 50 USD. Sometimes a 450 crash will cost even more . This is exactly what I was looking for. It's like GimpyGolden said: You don't want to be held back by fear of high crash costs. For that reason I chose the XLPower above the Logo.
flyswatter40 and GimpyGolden like this.
malbasora is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Waiting to hear from Scott on what he thinks of it, no answer yet though.
flyswatter40 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I posted answer where you originally asked
https://www.helifreak.com/7526041-post1309.html
Old 02-02-2018, 05:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would go XL over the Logo for sure. Its a great heli.

That being said, as mentioned above...I would certainly go for a Trex 550X over the XL.....the parts are readily available everywhere. Both are great flying helis.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

XL what is a XL must be another flame of the month. I swear its hard to keep up.
so found there site looks like a logo copy to me. i need to find a 500ished sized heli to stick my DS610s in

Last edited by Epoweredrc; 03-07-2018 at 11:14 PM..
Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2018, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 550X. Really been enjoying it in spite of winter and i've been thinking of adding another one as my usual practice of owning pairs of models that i regularly fly.

But now i'm really intrigued by the XLP. I've not seen one in person but based on what i've seen online so far it's a nice kit. I might just hold off with the the second 550x and might just try an XLP instead.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
I have the 550X. Really been enjoying it in spite of winter and i've been thinking of adding another one as my usual practice of owning pairs of models that i regularly fly.

But now i'm really intrigued by the XLP. I've not seen one in person but based on what i've seen online so far it's a nice kit. I might just hold off with the the second 550x and might just try an XLP instead.
Do it.
550x is claimed 200g lighter than it's predecessor and a XL550 is like 700g less than 550x
Martinshelis, rakabun and e92.M3 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in