Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xrayted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ikon cyclic setup question

hi. when setting the cyclic pitch is it done elevator or aileron(blades over the boom) ? it doesnt mention it anywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

ive done quite a few and set pitch with blades cross ways with heli level in all directions
Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheliflyer View Post
hi. when setting the cyclic pitch is it done elevator or aileron(blades over the boom) ? it doesnt mention it anywhere
ive always done it with the blades side of the heli.. not inline with boom.. i only set my Pitch with inline to boom

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Iv wondered if there is a specific orientation. Iv quite quite often found I get more cyclic pitch in one direction than the other, and have not been able to achieve the requested 10 degrees in every direction?
Dan. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only way to get the 10 degrees in all directions would be to have the swash at absolute level , and the main shaft absolutely perpendicular at all angles to the surface you used calibrated your pitch gauge. I have found it is something that can be abscessed over, but in the end makes little difference. For me with Brain/Ikon I find it more bothersome that my pitch settings are not uniform +/-. I saw a mention from OTS about using the transmitter to fine tune these values, but I dont think my collective management is good enough to be able to tell the difference
Old 01-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheliflyer View Post
It makes no difference whether setting cyclic or collective pitch. The only difference on cyclic is which control you will need to make on the TX to move the blades to test depending on whether you have the blades parallel or perpendicular to the boom. Use whatever position is easiest for you.

The same applies to collective pitch. Place the blades in whatever position is easiest for you to access. The important thing is that once you choose, you must zero out your pitch gauge in that exact same position and only the readings in that blade position are valid from then on.

You cannot rotate the blade you just checked to another position or move the gauge to the other blade position and check again without first zeroing the pitch gauge out again at the new position, otherwise the numbers will be different. The only way around this is to shim the model perfectly level in all orientations, and there is no need for this as long as your device can set zero on its own for any specific location.

The fastest for me is choose one position for checking both collective and cyclic so I only have to zero my gauge once, then simply spin the opposing blade around to the exact same position to check and adjust the blade links until both show the same zero collective value at mid stick. I only measure and match both blades like this for collective pitch to set proper tracking. I then measure only one blade for cyclic just to see if I'm getting the proper range I need. I could care less about the exact value as long as in the 8-10* range
Old 01-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default bluetooth question

i have the one with internal bluetooth.. when my phone is linked to it can i fly or do i need to close the app first?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's definitely recommended to disconnect for every day flying just to be on the save side.

The only time I would keep it connected would be for the real time vibe analysis on a brain 1 since it can't log vibes. On a brain2 I see no reason to keep bt connected during a flight.
zomaar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to connect your laptop with the software to see the realtime analysis. I don't believe it is available in the app ?

Why introduce more variables than needed ? Disconnect.
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Zero pitch, blades parallel with boom

Collective, blade parallel with boom

Cyclic, no binding full collective +- and while full AIL& ELE cyclic tilt. You can spin the blades but does not matter.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcN View Post

Cyclic, no binding full collective +- and while full AIL& ELE cyclic tilt. You can spin the blades but does not matter.
I may be misunderstanding your post, but you appear to be saying that the blades must be parallel to the boom to check these things correctly. Maybe you are only saying this is "how you do it" and I apologize if this is the case.

Having the blades parallel to the boom for setting cyclic and collective is great if that’s the way you do it, but there is absolutely no rule or reason that that is how it needs to be positioned to do it properly. When testing cyclic, only aileron will have any effect on blades parallel to the boom. Elevator cyclic must have the blades perpendicular to the boom for the blades to move at all, so you can't check both with the blades in one single position.

It doesn't matter because cyclic is cyclic and as long as you have the desired amount on one position there is no need to check the other assuming you have the same servo travel on both.

Our blades are never in one single position at all times so it's completely irrelevant where you set or check these values as long as you zero out your pitch gauge at that position and do not move it from there without resetting zero to any new position.

Any specific position claims other than what is required specifically to see aileron or elevator cyclic movements at the blades are internet myths. We are all free to use any position we want.
ticedoff8 likes this.

Last edited by Xrayted; 01-19-2018 at 05:06 PM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcN View Post

I assume that is because your heli is tilted forward (nose down) on the skids?

It does not matter.
Like he said, if that's the way you do it, no problems.

I lay the digital pitch gauge on top of the gyro's case and push its "Zero" button.
Now, all the blade's pitch measurements are in relation to the gyro's case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in