Large scale training MD7/8 - Page 2 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MD Helis MD5 - MD6 - MD7 - MD8

MD Helis MD5 - MD6 - MD7 - MD8 MD Helis MD5 - MD6 - MD7 - MD8 Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 01:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry, missed this. I have stayed at 800rpm for slow speed but the 120's have not yet arrived. I am now doing the beginnings of Cuban 8's and the aileron rolls are getting better and better. I do need to be careful with pulling very large loops so that I don't add any rudder or aileron at the top of the loop. Dumb thumbs, sheesh. The only change that I need to do that I know how to do, is increase the rotation rate of the aileron. I need to chat with someone that is a BD expert (IRCHA is coming up) about the tendency of the helicopter to balloon after a long shallow dive. This is my current favourite bird in pod and boom form to fly. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hay Keyrigger

Your overdue for an update. How's the big MD doing.

I haven't made any progress on mine. My home was flooded out by Hurricane Harvey. Had two and a half feet of water in the house, so any things hobby related are way back on a back burner and the stove is gone.

Can't wait to get back to a normal life but it's not going to happen for several more months.
3drcbuilder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Well, a few things have changed since the last update. I have decided that alarge scale trainer is kind of a waste of a machine. I was hoping that the guysseeing me up in the air with something a lot larger than my 600 scalehelicopters would have maybe lead to one of them asking for me to act as thepilot in Team Scale. After two years, no bites. So, the next logical thing wasto look for something I could easily do with this helicopter. An 800 size scalemachine is out of the question as I don't have the room for one and my currenttravel storage setup is going to be pushed to the limit with my upcoming 700size Jet Ranger. I noticed that a few F3C pilots that try scale flying, dotheir hover routines like the helicopters are sitting on tables in the air. Iknow bigger is better for stability so the plan was to try this out with theMD8.

Things were looking good but not great. The rpm range was far too low forthe big air maneuvers and high airspeed required, so after getting some advicefrom a few of the top guys in the US, it was first of all, time to properlysetup the helicopter to hover, F3C style. I learned a ton about setting up ahelicopter, far more in three days than the previous 7 years of building andflying almost all types of helicopters. The only issue now was the rotorspeed so out went the 290 and in went a 500kv motor. I was having a great timeup in the air when the horrible sound of the rotor slowing down and speeding uphappened, showing me I was at or very near low voltage cut-off. The problem nowwas that I was up nearly 150 feet or more and way upwind so I booked itdownwind and was now approaching the cut-off. I was nearly good but I did a bitof a panic nose down landing approach and that was too much high ofan angle to allow the blades to catch air and it dropped in hard but flaton the landing gear. Needless to say, the frame, blades, canopy, and landinggear were badly damaged but the main shaft, spindle, and boom are in perfectcondition. I have no idea how the boom survived but there is not a mark on itand the tail is completely damage free. Now I am waiting on parts from Taiwanso things are not happening too quickly. I hope that there is a shipment in thenext month or so. Take care.

Don

PS: I still flew in that F3C contest and broughtthe house down doing barrel rolls with a Heli-Baby on floats. The judges werenearly falling off of their chairs laughing as they has never seen anything sofunny in all their years of F3C. That was worth the price of admission rightthere
Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also fly the F3C with the MD7 in Taiwan
The balance of the MD7 is easy to fly F3C
This is a very good choice .. For the F3C MD7 hope that you can make progress.
gogoli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 10:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I see I'm not the only one that values the MD for its stability in hovering. I had to wait patiently for parts to arrive as they need to come through two borders before I get to place them on the damaged bird. I have reset the gearing once again to the 12t pinion and the 121t main gear with the 500kv motor. This gives me a governed maximum head speed at 92.5% of 1848rpm and I now can't remember the two other speeds but one will be around 1250 to 1350 and the other near 1600rpm. With the monster 810mm Rotor Tech blades, it should be nice to final start to auto practice with. I've got to get over it sometime as I almost saved it from it's last dirt nap. It was close. I have dropped back to 110mm tails for the first trial but something tells me I will be heading towards 95mm blades for the tri-tail setup. 120's were way too much when I had it flying with the 14t/121t combo and the 500kv motor. It was nearly wagging its tail off during any fast forward flight but I finally dropped the gain enough that it settled down just before crashing, sigh. I might get an opportunity next week to hover it in the studio as there isn't much going on and I have a large area where we park the trucks as a test pad. At least it will hold me off until warm weather finally breaks here. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MD8 3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	736885   Click image for larger version

Name:	MD8 4.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	736886  
Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

2017 was not a good year for me. House flooded with 3 feet of water from hurricane Harvey. Five weeks after the storm I was rear ended on my Harley. I'm ok but the bike was totaled. Three weeks after that at about 8:30 at night heading to my daughters house, crossing the Neches river bridge I had a pelican center my Toyota Tacoma windshield at 75 mph. It collapsed the entire windshield into my and my wife laps.

The house won't be back together for another couple of months. No help from FEMA and Insurance is still screwing me around. But, the house is starting to come together.

So, helicopters aren't high on the priority list, Hopefully I be back in the air for the fall flying season.
3drcbuilder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Man, that sucks. Hopefully, things turn around for you very shortly.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.