Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Velos Rotors

Velos Rotors Velos Rotors helicopters technical support forum.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Velos 880 Still in Production?

Is the Velos 880 still available and in production? I have noticed that Helidirect is discounting the parts pretty heavily and the kit was not available. I have been wanting to get one and was waiting for the Black Friday sale but the kit was not there.
jlureone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 04:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I emailed and was replied to by Aris a few weeks ago.
mb-1953 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

We have discontinued Velos 880 kit as we have just released the new VelosUAV on the market.
Since most of the Velos 880 sold, where modified in order to be used for comertial applications and
due to the increased demand for a high performance commercial / military UAV helicopter we designed the VelosUAV that outperforms the Velos 880 in terms of flight time and payload capacity.
Spare parts supply will continue as normal for the current Velos 880 owners.
We are also considering a special edition Velos 888 purely for the hobby market but that will be no earlier than in a year by now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	velosuav 1 (Custom).JPG
Views:	711
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	731321   Click image for larger version

Name:	velosuav 2 (Custom).JPG
Views:	711
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	731322   Click image for larger version

Name:	velosuav 4.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	731323   Click image for larger version

Name:	velosuav 3 (Custom).JPG
Views:	701
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	731324  
Velos Rotors is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sad days. But if guys don’t buy them, and show up years later expecting them to be available, it’s just not reality these days.

Sad to see the loss in the hobby.
im4711 likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was fortunate enough to find and purchase one that someone had only built up the frame but decided to not complete it. I received it today.

I have brand new servos that I bought a year or so ago in anticipation of buying a Velos. They are BKS 8001HV cyclic and BKS 8005HV tail servos.

In following this forum the BK's were recommended, however some of you fell out of favor using them. Would that still be the case? I have used them on a Goblin 700 and Urukay and they seemed fine. I am not an aggressive pilot.

Many of you have had your Velos for a while now. What would you change now after owning and flying (esc's, batteries, flybarless system, and motors)?

My biggest question now that the kit has been discontinued what would you buy as spares? Aris has said that parts will be available.

Your input would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't change anything with the airframe and drive train, they are bullet proof...period.
My Velos 880 is still original, with exception to what I have added for working purposes.
I still use STP oil treatment as an alternative to grease on the main gears and pinions and have seen no wear on those gears of any kind.
I apply a small amount on the main gear every 5 flights or so but could probably go more than that if I wanted. Lubrication is a good thing though and its so simple to apply, I see no need to push it.
I also clean off the residual STP after the first flight to keep the airframe clean which is quick and easy and also keeps the airframe looking new with no dirt or grime.

I re-grease the main rotor spindle thrust bearings every 100 flights because its easy and they also have no wear.

I still fly my original belts as they show no sign of wear, and with the exception of the tail rotor drive belt, are redundant so if you were to ever break one you still have the other motor and the big Velos fly's fine on one...I have done it.
The Velos auto rotates so easy I am not worried about losing the tail drive belt but do inspect it on a regular bases.

I use STP oil treatment on the main shaft bearings as well and they also have no wear.

The only thing I can tell you to be careful off is motor belt tension. Velos has created such a simple belt tension system that its easy to over tension the belts and you'll wear out your motor bearings prematurely.
Belts with teeth don't need to be excessively tight to perform properly so a little snug is all that's necessary.

Power is just plain fun and addictive so chose your motors accordingly.
The Velos can handle anything you mount on it for power.
Batteries will also be your choice depending on what your after. I still fly Pulse 4500's as a good happy medium but again, your choice.

You should be fine with your servo choice.
I had the same set in the beginning but actually lost one main servo due to a broken lead at the servo board due to a bad solder joint.
Buy virtue of being a redundant system, I didn't lose the model to a crash and actually didn't know I had a dead servo until I got curious about it's tracking in flight not being as sharp as it had been.
I disconnected the servos and ran them with the TX and saw a servo wasn't even moving.

I checked the other servo solder joints and found another that was poor also so they were removed and replaced with Xpert servos.
I still fly the BK tail servo as it had good solder connections and it hasn't given me any issues at all.
I have heard that BK has sorted all that out so you shouldn't have any issue. They are good servos but were tainted by someone with poor soldering technique, that's all.

If you are curious about your servos just remove the screws and gently lift the cover to see the solder joints on the harness, if they look solid, you'll be fine as the servos are a great design with really good torque.

FBL is your choice as well, use what you are comfortable with.

Baring any dumb thumb moves or failed electronics the Velos will fly for many, many years without any problems or need for spare parts.

It will be the most impressive model you'll own.
...one last thing, fly the three bladed tail.

...and I am waiting on an FBL issue to be sorted out before I can continue to fly my machine...hopefully be back in the air soon.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

A Viking,

Thank you for your response. I will peek under the hood of the servos and if the solder looks good I will use the BK servos.

I am only aware of the SK720 and Spirit flybarless systems. I have not had any experience with either one. What are the majority of Velos pilots using? My only real experience has been with Ikon and Beast-X. They are easy to set up and they seem to fly fine without much fuss.

I will reread the posts in the forum on motors, escs, and battery choices and decide if I want big power, economy, or middle of the road performance.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am very sorry to hear that the Velos 880 has been discontinued, but very pleased that parts will continue to be available.

Great machine, great flying machine, and truly innovative!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also agree with Viking a very beautiful machine in the air , I love mine every time I take it out . Attracts a lot of attention. The sound is amazing you will love it .
Morrchew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

sad for the 880.. but If velos can use that new heli to deliver care packages like in Call of Duty.. that is pretty awesome. Id love to be that drone operator.
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went shopping for one of these a few weeks ago and saw it was discontinued. I am glad to hear they may release it again.
T-Rex 800DFC Pro, 700LTOP, 700L Night, 550V2, 470LT, 250DFC, Oxy-2 x2, 3 x2, 4, Goblin 500 Sport(soon), Fireball x2, Blade 230s Night, 180CFX, MCPS, Nano CPX & NQX2 FPV, Vortex 250, Inductrix FPV. K110 Cars/Trucks/Planes AMA#L965241, Part 107 Pilot
#iamundeservedlyblessedandiknowit
TeeJayShelton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayShelton View Post
I went shopping for one of these a few weeks ago and saw it was discontinued. I am glad to hear they may release it again.

Yes indeed...I just like saying "Velos triple 8". Hope it becomes a reality!
I get all nervous just thinking about it.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Yes indeed...I just like saying "Velos triple 8". Hope it becomes a reality!
I get all nervous just thinking about it.
Buy lots and lots of spare parts to encourage them. ;-)
Ah Clem likes this.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Waited too long to replace mine... Life and work got in the way.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlureone View Post
A Viking,

Thank you for your response. I will peek under the hood of the servos and if the solder looks good I will use the BK servos.

I am only aware of the SK720 and Spirit flybarless systems. I have not had any experience with either one. What are the majority of Velos pilots using? My only real experience has been with Ikon and Beast-X. They are easy to set up and they seem to fly fine without much fuss.

I will reread the posts in the forum on motors, escs, and battery choices and decide if I want big power, economy, or middle of the road performance.
I don't have a Velos, but maybe you should reconsider any option to use the Skookum
While you may still find new 720BE in stock someplace or you may be able to find some 720BE used, there is no support for them from Skookum.
Reading through the Skookum section on the site, there are a lot of frustrated people.

I think MSH should include the 4-servo swash option in their next Brain 2 release (right OTS? lol).
Old 12-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

ticedoff8,

Thank you for your response, other Velos pilots have pm me and I have decided to go with the Spirt Pro. I have one on the way. Hopefully the Brian will go to 4-servo swash!!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
I don't have a Velos, but maybe you should reconsider any option to use the Skookum
While you may still find new 720BE in stock someplace or you may be able to find some 720BE used, there is no support for them from Skookum.
Reading through the Skookum section on the site, there are a lot of frustrated people.

I think MSH should include the 4-servo swash option in their next Brain 2 release (right OTS? lol).
3DIGI supports H4 (4 servo swashplate) from the drop down list. It also has a custom swash mixer with yaw mixing so you can set it up for tandem and CCPM coaxial.
jlureone likes this.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have tried the 3digi and BD Axon on my Velos and the Axon flys way better out of the box. Im sure either would fly great if I were better at tuning fbl.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ChadCarlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlureone View Post
I was fortunate enough to find and purchase one that someone had only built up the frame but decided to not complete it. I received it today.

I have brand new servos that I bought a year or so ago in anticipation of buying a Velos. They are BKS 8001HV cyclic and BKS 8005HV tail servos.

In following this forum the BK's were recommended, however some of you fell out of favor using them. Would that still be the case? I have used them on a Goblin 700 and Urukay and they seemed fine. I am not an aggressive pilot.

Many of you have had your Velos for a while now. What would you change now after owning and flying (esc's, batteries, flybarless system, and motors)?

My biggest question now that the kit has been discontinued what would you buy as spares? Aris has said that parts will be available.

Your input would be greatly appreciated
Personally I would go with a different servo. I used a certain brand and had a dozen failures in one season. Since switch to Xpert servos on the same machines I have had zero failures. I use Xpert r2s all around on my Velos. I have stocked up on spares myself, I think I have almost every carbon part as a spare plus bearings and belts. There is only one thing I would change and that is the price. Only reason I would change that is so more people could afford to enjoy this beast.

A VIKING likes this.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velos Rotors View Post
We have discontinued Velos 880 kit as we have just released the new VelosUAV on the market.
Since most of the Velos 880 sold, where modified in order to be used for comertial applications and
due to the increased demand for a high performance commercial / military UAV helicopter we designed the VelosUAV that outperforms the Velos 880 in terms of flight time and payload capacity.
Spare parts supply will continue as normal for the current Velos 880 owners.
We are also considering a special edition Velos 888 purely for the hobby market but that will be no earlier than in a year by now.

Put me on the waiting list for the 888 special edition!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.