Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By motoxxxman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Flat Throttle Curve for Idle Up

Flew 6 packs on my 230s the other day. Such a great bird to practice 3D with.

Has anyone of you guys experimented with a flat throttle curve say at constant 85-90% throttle for 3D (Idle Up)? The TC for Idle up recommended in the manual is 100-90-85-90-100.

I've personally found that this bogs the motor down when performing fast tic tocs etc. Having a constant throttle @ around 85-90% might do the trick. I think 100% is not needed - good to have some headroom.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jake
jakeaheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Totally up to you and what you prefer but yes, flat throttle curve is fine. I use flat 80 for IU1 and flat 100 for idle IU2 and most of my 3D flying is done in IU1
Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Totally up to you and what you prefer but yes, flat throttle curve is fine. I use flat 80 for IU1 and flat 100 for idle IU2 and most of my 3D flying is done in IU1
Thanks! I'm gonna experiment between 80% - 100% flat and see how i go.
Have you found a difference in 3D maneuvers as compared to the recommended Throttle curves in the manual?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't say it makes a huge difference to the way it performs a particular maneuver, for me it's just the overall feel and response from the head that is more consistent for the way I fly.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think that the book throttle curve is just an attempt to keep the rotor speed more constant and prevent it increasing when in the in the middle zero and low pitch area. All my previous heli's (MCPX-BL, 130X and 180CFX) have had a flat 100% throttle curve in "stunt" mode.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys appreciate the help and responses.

Wouldn't it be more near to constant with a constant throttle % in the zero and middle areas as opposed to 90-85-90?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say no. Because a couple degrees of pitch has more drag then zero pitch.
motoxxxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The headspeed alters during flight, as disc loading increases the headspeed drops and vice versa. Many esc's have a govenor function that constantly adjusts headspeed to compensate for this. I agree with Allan that the default curve may be a very basic attempt to replicate what a govenor would usually do. Some like it, some don't. In the absence of a govenor I prefer a flat curve, either way just go with what suits you.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve been experimenting with my throttle curve also.
I ended up with my Agility throttle curve at 95 80 65 75 95. This seems to have smoothed out my control doing flips and inverted flying. It also helped me from getting the flashing red light (lvc) as much, and still having enough power to do a controlled landing after lvc. (the heli didn’t have enough power to hover with the flashing red light before I changed the curve)
The 65 75 was to ease the throttle jump when switching from Self-Level to Agility while hovering and to allow a lower throttle setting to go easier on the battery when not in a maneuver.
I use Self-Level Mode to take off and land; Agility Mode to fly and do aerobatics like loops, rolls, inverted, flips; Don’t use 3D Mode.
jimflyrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimflyrc View Post
I use Self-Level Mode to take off and land; Agility Mode to fly and do aerobatics like loops, rolls, inverted, flips; Don’t use 3D Mode.
The only difference between agility mode and 3d mode is the throttle curve [headspeed]. So once you alter that, it really just becomes IU1 and IU2, or stunt1 and stunt2
vultage likes this.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Results!

I must mention that I am currently using a dx6i so i don't have 3 modes (Stability / Agility and 3D mode) - I've just got Stability and fully blown 3D mode, no agility.

So I tested a flat 85% throttle (Full 3D mode) - it felt almost the same as the recommended 100, 95, 89, 95, 100.

However when i tried 90% flat i could feel more punch in 3d moves. The heli was more aggressive and crisper. But i landed @ around 3.77 per cell when my usual landing voltage is slightly over 3.8v or there abouts. But that's not a big deal.

So far i like 90% although i might experiment around 87% or thereabouts.

BTW - I nee a good quality lvc alarm. I have the ones from BG, set them to 3.8v and they start beeping almost right after take off

Any recommendations?

Jake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in