Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > FPV Racing Discussion

FPV Racing Discussion FPV Racing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Let's talk flying

Most of these threads are about equipment, let's get into flying itself. I have Velocidrone and Liftoff and it is a hoot, but I have a lot to learn. What's the trick behind flying low without bouncing and getting through turns quickly. What's the best way to practice early on to just be able to get through the course ?

Thanks
Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Fly it like one of your helicopters. Roll, elevator and coordinated rudder. Just like a helicopter, nothing beats stick time. I started with line of sight flying on my quad to get a feel for the sticks. Next put on the goggles and hover a bit. You need to get used to what hovering looks like in fpv and then just fly a bunch of circuits at a few mistakes high. You'll develop a feel for what flying looks like thru the goggles. From there fly lower and around things, first slowly and then faster. I used a football field and the goal posts as gates. Fact is, you know how to fly a quad from all your helicopter experience. What you need to learn is what it looks like thru the goggles. It does come pretty fast but like learning to fly a helicopter, new skills take practice.

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: SPAM
Raleighcopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

One last thing, when you go out to fly, before you fly, take a good look around the area you will be flying and note landmarks and where they are with respect to your position. It will come in very handy once you take off as it is very easy to get lost flying fpv.

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 09:20 PM..
Old 12-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK, thanks. I think I have the basics where it overlaps with helis. What I'm having problems with are sharp turns unlike what I typically do with helis. I tend to overshoot massively. Also, I have a hard time knowing where the ground is. I often tap the ground not realizing I'm that close.

Rick
Old 12-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Try some lower rates. It just takes practice to learn what things look like thru the goggles. Some guys do switch from acro mode to stabilized for landing. But otherwise, keep at it. It comes pretty quickly.

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 09:20 PM..
Old 12-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

... wrong thread.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

rdlohr dont know if youre still interested,

but for me the eye-opening moment in FPV racing was building my first quad with:
-quality components
-my favorite fc (KISS fc btw)
-and components that don't weigh a ton

If you can get a low weight first off, it'll do 1000% more of what you tell it to do, and not what the wind, gravity, or any other force of nature will. Also, for learning, a tip I gave a lot of people and they found success with was to try quad-blade props. Extra grip in corners, feels less like flying on ice and more like driving a car. And, many people would say it may not be the best idea, but flying with more camera tilt early on will help you be more comfortable with speed, when you get up to it. More camera tilt doesn't 'make you fly faster', it just requires thinking differently. I fly 60 degrees of tilt, and yeah I basically can't ever stop and hover, I will be looking at the sky. But, I have learned to manage my way through tight and technical courses, proper bailout technique, and importantly, how to still fly slowly.

But I tell you with my setups, the goal is absolute ballistic power and acceleration. Start more tame, up your camera tilt a hair every so often, (45 is a magical number, and is plenty for a ton of people) and try the HQ V1s 5040x4 quad props on say a 2300-2600kv motor, and make sure your quad is less than 320g dry if possible.

Hope that helps!

-Mike
SparkyMJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyMJ View Post
rdlohr dont know if youre still interested,

but for me the eye-opening moment in FPV racing was building my first quad with:
-quality components
-my favorite fc (KISS fc btw)
-and components that don't weigh a ton

If you can get a low weight first off, it'll do 1000% more of what you tell it to do, and not what the wind, gravity, or any other force of nature will. Also, for learning, a tip I gave a lot of people and they found success with was to try quad-blade props. Extra grip in corners, feels less like flying on ice and more like driving a car. And, many people would say it may not be the best idea, but flying with more camera tilt early on will help you be more comfortable with speed, when you get up to it. More camera tilt doesn't 'make you fly faster', it just requires thinking differently. I fly 60 degrees of tilt, and yeah I basically can't ever stop and hover, I will be looking at the sky. But, I have learned to manage my way through tight and technical courses, proper bailout technique, and importantly, how to still fly slowly.

But I tell you with my setups, the goal is absolute ballistic power and acceleration. Start more tame, up your camera tilt a hair every so often, (45 is a magical number, and is plenty for a ton of people) and try the HQ V1s 5040x4 quad props on say a 2300-2600kv motor, and make sure your quad is less than 320g dry if possible.

Hope that helps!

-Mike
Thanks. This is all good input that I'll keep in mind. I've been flying my Blade QX FPV around the basement just to get the feel of the goggles. I need to hit the sim again now that I've flown a bit.

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in