Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I really needed to get out a bit. Work has been crushing lately and things have been difficult on the homefront as well... I started out with a couple of Helix flights but in a first for me the muffle came loose in flight so I packed it up and just flew the Whiplash....

I was egging Raja on about 5,000 flights... told him that now he better not crash it.

Whiplash V1-2:3
Helix: 2

2018 annual totals:
EF 60" Extra: 4
Whiplash-G V1-2:10
Helix:5
Subtotal: 19
Sensei training flights with Joey: 2
Total: 21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not crash for 832 flights???

I think we need to start a poll on how many crashes Raja has with his 1005 before reaching 5000 flights. The pressure is on now Raja!

832 more flights in 4.5 years equates to 0.51 flights per day, or 3.57 flights per week. Yea...that's doable...

I say 3 crashes...

Citizen 654
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have airplanes Ive gone 500+ flights on without a crash. And I've only ever had 1 crash (more of a botched auto landing) in about 350 gasser heli flights.

Its doable when you fly 2 mistakes high and stay within your comfort zone. Captain rescue helps too.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the biggest challenge for Raja is the fact that - assuming as team manager he has to do all of his fun fly end event flying with the Whiplash.... That means that he now will be forced to pretty much fly the 1005 all the time at Medifeld to keep up the pace.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not necessarily true...the 1005 is an X-Cell heli, part of the MA line. Granite, a much older heli and not the current heli. It's a good testimony to the longevity of MA helis.

Now for the crashing part! LoL!

Airplanes are much different than helis. Too many thing to go wrong with a heli. A part could break, a link pop off/fail, a blade fail, etc. Then there's the pilot element! Dumb-thumb, judgment error (autos), running out of fuel, etc. And then with the added pressure of making 5K flights could make him screw-up! Like the closer he gets to 5K.

A few years back at IRCHA, Raja did his 2000th flight on the flight line and almost planted his heli inverted. I was right next to him when it happened...snapping pictures of the 2K flight. He was rather nervous, but made it!

Citizen 654
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I wonder which heli that was...

"A few years back at IRCHA, Raja did his 2000th flight on the flight line and almost planted his heli inverted. I was right next to him when it happened...snapping pictures of the 2K flight. He was rather nervous, but made it!"

That must have been the Spectra as the 1005 was at 1200 flights back in 2004, want some history, check this:

https://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t132097p1/

Yes flying at IRCHA while a huge amount of people are watching does make you nervous, I never fly as well as I do back home on my tailgate!! When I did the battle of the brands contest, I put a chair out and sat while I flew, just a little bit of similarity helped to calm my nerves are 350+ people were watching!! That year someone crashed a helicopter in the crowd, it was crazy scary.

-=>Raja.
Jewel on-board Generators, Miniature Aircraft Team Manager
rbort is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Late outing today

Went out today after a trip to the post office to mail some stuff out. I have to say the conditions were terrible at the field, the wind was blowing hard the trees were swaying on top of the mountain to the left. The heli was bouncing up and down drafts I can't say for a minute I enjoyed it. At home I thought to go without long underwear and a thinner jacket as its was 48 degrees out, but I'm glad I wore the full winter suit. Even had to drag out the heated radio glove AND turn the truck into the wind after 5 minutes of flying.

I got 2 flights in with the 1005 and almost couldn't wait to finish the 2nd tank. Well I thought better to wait for a nicer day anyways, why am I forcing it if I'm not enjoying it?

MA 1005 = 2

2018 count:

MA 1005 = 24
Spectra-g = 16
Whiplash V1-2 = 9
Whiplash V2 = 39

Total = 89
Gallons Mixed = 11.25

-=>Raja.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jinxed myself!!

Well, boasting to Ray of 1 crash in 350 flights did it. Jinx.

Weather was beautiful today and I had been promising Joey a day at the field so off we go. Temps in the high 30s touching 40 at lunch time, full sun and no wind was beautiful. Get to the field and the radio mitt was hot even with no heat, so I flew bare handed a bit.

I took one flight, then let Joey get a flight, then ready for a second flight as Raja arrived. I was enjoying the day, fine tuning the needles, and I just got too cocky. Did a high speed U-turn auto and ended up too low too far from the runway but still a LOT of forward momentum. Headspeed was running out and it looked like I would miss the runway, rather than doing the smart thing and bailing out, or flaring hard to build headpeed and dump it in the tall grass I tried to stretch it... controls went mush and she cartwheeled

UGH. Boom strike took out the boom, TT, one boom support. Tail pushrod is cracked but probably salvageable. snapped a couple head links but found the rods. All gears look fine. shafts *may* be fine too but I need to pull the mainshaft and roll it on glass to check. Canopy came through with just some minor cracks. Best luck of all is the mainblades survived without so much as a nick.

Well, looks like I'll now be the first to repair a V2 conversion from a crash. Ill let you know what luck I have getting the TT apart. Supposedly the loctite 648 will remove with lots of heat....

Whiplash V1-2: 2 (crash)
Sensei training flights with Joey: 3

2018 annual totals:
Whiplash-G V1-2:12
Helix:5
Subtotal: 21
Sensei training flights with Joey: 5
Total: 26
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-17 14.00.57.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	737893  
Old 02-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outing today from 1:30 to 4:30

Met up with Joey and Jeremy at the field to turn some rotors. Not exactly calm but some sun turned overcast and the winds kicked up a little bit more as the storm approached. Temps in them mid 30's down to 32 and winds gusting between 10 and 20mph (recorded peak at the house).

I brought the Spectra as the 1005 needs some minor tail boom support adjustment it stayed home, plus my TX wasn't so full I charged it on the sun this morning and had enough for 4 flights before it was threatening low battery at 6.9v.

Jeremy had a bad auto unfortunately and I warned him for about 5 seconds before the crash that the head speed was too slow but things were happening quickly he couldn't react properly to save it. Anyway its not a huge deal at all, the blades are the most important part and he whacked the boom with them and didn't even damage them, go figure that's a lucky strike! The rest is peanuts in comparison, his picture above the machine doesn't even look "crashed", probably less than $50 for repairs.

Spectra-g = 4

2018 count:

MA 1005 = 24
Spectra-g = 20
Whiplash V1-2 = 9
Whiplash V2 = 39

Total = 93
Gallons Mixed = 11.25

Tomorrow we get some long missed snow for me, but unfortunately its not cold enough any more for it to stick around and enjoy, unless I get out to fly tomorrow to be honest.

-=>Raja.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

It should have been a cheap fix, but that 648 is tough to remove. Even my Dewalt 1500w heat gun wasn't making it budge... so you have to use the pocket torch.

And then be very careful getting he fittings off... I was 3 for 3 and then one of the bearing sleeves bent Ugh now I have to order parts.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you’re talking about the ones that go around the bearing on the TT and engage in the boom, best of luck. I had one fail (most likely my fault) and couldn’t get a replacement without buying a whole TT set. Looked in my spares and the old Align 700 uses a bearing and rubber cup that are a drop in replacement for the MA stuff and are cheap and easy to get. I’ve got about 5 gallons through my G2 since doing the repair with no issue. I’d intended it to just get me by and ended up leaving it alone when it all worked just as well as the MA stuff.

Just something to keep in mind to get you into the air quicker while you wait for the factory part. You may be talking about the metal sleeve that sits on the TT, in which case you can use the same align bearing and holder set and be flying quicker.
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes - the TT sleeve. I can also use the MA v1 bearing cup, I have a few of those.

I just like the V2 parts because they fit much better than the v1 and you dont get the wobble. But that's a good idea - i can put it together for now with 1 v2 sleeve and 1 v1 sleeve - then pull it apart later and redo it.

I think the next one I will use blue loctite on the bearing sleeves and save the 648 for the ends only.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Yes - the TT sleeve. I can also use the MA v1 bearing cup, I have a few of those.

I just like the V2 parts because they fit much better than the v1 and you dont get the wobble. But that's a good idea - i can put it together for now with 1 v2 sleeve and 1 v1 sleeve - then pull it apart later and redo it.

I think the next one I will use blue loctite on the bearing sleeves and save the 648 for the ends only.
I use Loctite 641 retaining compound for mounting bearings. It's medium strength and is specifically recommended for use in applications where disassembly is required for service.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update- Busted on both counts.

I have some V1 bearing cups left over, but they dont fit. The new stainless TT is slightly larger diameter and wont fit in the bearings.

I also have a spare TRex TT for the helix, but it has captured bearings, and I dont have any spare rubber cups.

So the Whiplash is grounded until I can order some parts.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have parts!

In a very rare occurrence, I saw Mr. Bortcosh, awake, at 7:30 in the morning. Yes shocking I would not have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. He was going to a special event that happened to be 5 minutes from my office, so I managed to meet up with him and he lent me the parts I need.

So it should be back to flight status by tomorrow (everything else checked out last night, minor damage). Now to wait for a schedule AND weather opening...
Old 02-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Allright, one last day "it seems" of fun in the sun with the snow!

Kandace asked for videos, so this post is dedicated to her with lots of content. I hope you enjoy it!

First off this morning was 22F, snow cover was still holding tight and all snow on the sides of the road while walking to the electronics store was frozen hard. By the time I got done shopping there, the sun got stronger and the air warmed up, everything was starting to melt.

I drove home and decided to head to the field for one more day of fun in the snow. It was quite windy, so the rating for the day drops by -4 due to the winds, would have been more negative points if it was cold, but it was warm enough wind chill wasn't a factor. Then you have snow cover which adds +1 bonus points for a total score of 7 out of 10 today. Not bad but far from a perfect day.

I started out with the 1005, did one flight, then decided to see if I can write something in the snow before it melts as it was getting warmer and warmer. "Winter 2018" came to mind and I got to work. Here is a little video of my efforts when I was done:

IMG 54631 (1 min 17 sec)

Next, I decided to see if I can skate around to the left of my writing so as not to disturb it (a good idea I found that out later you'll know why in a minute). I realized I had the phone mount with me in the truck, and heck, I could mount it on the back windshield and hold the phone with it. OK cool! So I got it mounted and off I went for some skiing:

IMG 54661 (3 min 22 sec)

That was fun, then I said let me pull out my Spectra and go for a flight with that to the right side, maybe I can aim the phone to give me some space to fly there on camera. I have to admit this is not my best flying, I was too concerned and worried I'd fly out of the frame, so I spent alot of time turning around. I need some practice and should get better at flying in an imaginary box. I need to watch this video myself also to see how I did to know my limits:

IMG 54701 (3 min 22 sec)

Some time after recording the video while still airborne, I flamed out. Not wanting to land in the middle of Winter 2018, I skirted the outfield and landed just a foot inside the runway. The walk to go get it:

IMG 54711 (0 min 39 sec)

Shortly thereafter, two kids from Cambridge came by with fpv drones. I watched them for a bit and got to record a little video from the air showing "Winter 2018!" The kid on his first pass says "Oh I saw something on the ground, winter something...??" I said yes I wrote it with the helicopter, then he turned around and came back to look at it again and again and laughed, I caught this video:

IMG 54751 (0 min 45 sec)

Now you understand why its a good thing I left the "Winter 2018" undisturbed the whole day, as I got FPV video to see it without other skid marks or foot prints through it!

Later meant to take a ground picture standing on the airplane stand, but it turned out to be a video, forgot to switch the phone I didn't realize it, anyway here it is:

IMG 54761 (0 min 1 sec)

And finally here is one of the kids with his new FPV flying wing. He was trying to maiden it and unfortunately after 3 launch attempts he broke it in half twice, the second time the motor broke off all together and it was done for the day.

IMG 54791 (0 min 20 sec)

That about sums up the day. I got 4 flights in, 2 on the 1005 and 2 on the Spectra then spent time with the kids enjoying them flying around. Got me itching to take out my FPV taylorcraft again, I haven't flown that thing in a while and I did enjoy the ride up there cruising the skies. I told the kids I remember one day when I flew 100 miles with it in circles around the field. Took me 2.5 hours to accomplish this as it droned around back and forth from landmark to landmark. That is my FPV record, still stands today. With a generator on-board that plane could fly endlessly, and I had 1.5 hours of fuel on-board. Technically speaking I could easily put a larger tank and fly 100 miles in 1 flight!! Hmmm, got me thinking maybe something to do some day to have the personal record

MA 1005 = 2
Spectra-g = 2

2018 count:

MA 1005 = 26
Spectra-g = 22
Whiplash V1-2 = 9
Whiplash V2 = 39

Total = 97
Gallons Mixed = 11.25

^^^ Yeah he's got parts allright...he's got MY SPARE parts that bum!! Anything for Jeremy, after all, I need to make sure he can come out and fly with me, perhaps in shorts next week!

-=>Raja.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Short outing today

The past couple of days were ridiculous so to speak, almost 70 degrees both days they were talking on the radio this morning that it was 72 yesterday, perhaps in Boston, and that it might snow today but it can't snow 24 hours after being 72, its just wrong. Well I think its wrong to be 70 in February...! I couldn't get myself to go to the field in this crazy warm weather, I decided to clean up the yard instead and sucked up all the leaves from the beds and gave the lawn a haircut to pickup all the debris from the winter. My place looks good now

Today I went out to get a couple of flights, the 1005 is flying good now some updates I made a bridge for the tail boom supports like we use in the Whiplash and it works better than just a nut on each side when going through the side frames. Tonight I want to switch up the main gear to the 93 tooth to see if I can up the gear ratio a little bit and see how that feels, going from 6.43 to 6.64. Should have another window to try it again tomorrow morning before the next round of rain/snow.

MA 1005 = 2

2018 count:

MA 1005 = 28
Spectra-g = 22
Whiplash V1-2 = 9
Whiplash V2 = 39

Total = 99
Gallons Mixed = 11.25

During the first 2 flights it was already raining off and on so I didn't stay for more though its not raining at home now and perhaps I should have, oh well...

-=>Raja.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Having a run of bad luck

What Raja didn't mention is that I was out with him and my bad luck continues.

I got 1 good flight in with the Helix - confirmed the helicoil fix to the muffler works.

Then I started a flight with the newly rebuilt Whiplash. Everything was going fine and then all of a sudden 5 minutes into the flight I am hovering and it jumps vertical. Suddenly I had nothing, no control, so instinctively I hit TH. That stopped the motor but still no cyclic or collective control and she arced over the cars and crashed in the road.

We got LUCKY. I was genuinely scared.

I am still scratching my head trying to figure it out. The heli still had power and the receiver was working (I have throttle running direct to the governor , bypassing the FBL so that's why TH still worked). The Bavarian demon was flashing 3 red led's which indicates a failure to initialize. All I can guess is for some reason it rebooted in flight, and because the heli was moving it couldn't initialize properly causing loss of control.

But the question is WHY did it reboot, if thats what happened?
And what caused it to suddenly shoot upward (as if I hit rescue)?

I dont think it was a power loss because I have dual redundancy - both the battery and generator, and the demon has multiple power feeds from both. Everything checks out on the bench - the battery passes a 2A load test just fine, and I cant find any evidence of shorts. I checked the sbus wire and its fine. I tried yanking and shaking everything and cant reproduce any error. I even yanked and reconnected the sbus and the 3sx remained initialized. I tried turning the TX off and on and it went into failsafe properly and reaquired in less than a second.

I even used my dremel as a vibration simulator (bent a bit to make a shaker) and I cant introduce any vibration caused shorts.

Im rally scratching my head here. Ideas? I have spare receivers and batteries I could swap but how do I rule out a bad 3sx?

As a side note - I had deliberately wired the throttle to bypass the sbus FBL link for just this sort of eventuality, and that safety worked. Reminder to all to not trust your safety to a single wire....

Helix: 1
Whiplash V1-2: 0.5 (crash)

2018 annual totals:
Whiplash-G V1-2:12
Helix:6
Subtotal: 22
Sensei training flights with Joey: 5
Total: 27
Old 02-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lucky

Then I started a flight with the newly rebuilt Whiplash. Everything was going fine and then all of a sudden 5 minutes into the flight I am hovering and it jumps vertical. Suddenly I had nothing, no control, so instinctively I hit TH. That stopped the motor but still no cyclic or collective control and she arced over the cars and crashed in the road.

What a night mare. Glad all is safe.

Thanks guys,(Jharkin and Raja) with the instructions on v2 conversion. I took about 15 hours to rebuild my v1.

I have flown 11 uneventful flights on it. Loving every minute.

James Roberts
Old 02-23-2018, 07:15 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Crash postmortem

So this is what we know so far.

Raja is calling the set of Rail 716 blades on this heli my "lucky blades" as they have now survived two crashes undamaged!

Damage this time:

• Both side frames are cracked below the fuel tank
  • The canopy is pretty banged up and the paint is trashed on the bottom front
  • The headlight LED broke - cheap replacement
  • Both tuff struts broke - I have spares
  • The engine case struck the ground and it was pushed up - its scratched a bit but otherwise ok
  • The boom bent slightly - I have one more spare left
  • One main grip link is MIA
  • The tail fin has some chipped paint

Considering how hard it impacted the rest of hte damage is negligible. I am going to talk to Josef about new frames and a canopy, and I will be sending the engine in to Hanson for a checkup.

My main concern is the electronics. The only clue we have to the cause of the crash is the fact the demon was flashing the red "initialization error" code. This makes me suspect it power cycled in flight but I cannot find any shorts or problems with the onboard power system. I spoke to Danny at DemonAero and he agrees the theory fits and recommended I send the 3sx to the factory in Germany for a throughout evaluation. I am going to do that while I wait for the parts from Miniature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in